• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    IS THIS A GOOD WAY TO CARRY?DOES ANYONE ELSE CARRY THIS WAY?JUST LOOKING TO SEE IF I AM NOT ALONE
    carrymode005.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No I don't carry that way.

First, you have the safety off in your photo. When I carry a 1911 (about 99% of the time I carry) it is carried with the safety on. Any other way is dangerous unless there is no round in the chamber and if there is no round in the chamber then there is no reason to carry a gun in the first place.

Second, while in a holster, that holster is not secure in the pocket. The clip does not have a secure grip on anything to keep it in your pocket when trying to draw. You are relying on body friction against the holster to hold the holster and that is not something that I'd rely on. As your pocket stretches out there will be less and less friction on the holster and the chance of drawing the holster out with the gun increases.

Third, I do not want the gun to move when I am carrying. A quality IWB or OWB holster will secure the gun against the body and prevent it from moving around. By carrying in your pocket, by design the gun is moving with every step you take. That alone, especially with a 1911, could cause the safety to disengage. But just as bad as that, if you can flee to avoid a conflict, running with a 2# gun in your pocket that is moving around as you move is not as easy as running with the same gun attached securely to a holster on your waist.

Just my opinions. Free of charge.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not really a comment about the method of carry, but more about the pistol itself:
    I assume your holster is open ended (muzzle), so make sure your jeans pockets aren't crudded up with lint/string/gunk. Your firearm is a lint magnet, having been oiled and all.
    When you stick your jeans in the wash, pull the pockets inside out and it'll cut down on the junk that accumulates in there. :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've been giving this a bit more thought. I am NOT trying to criticize the original poster with these follow up comments. Please don't take it that way. I've been carrying for about 20 years, almost always a 1911 variation. I'm not a LEO, just a civilian. Made mistakes, learned along the way.

So here is what I see, in the picture in the original post we have a roughly $1000 gun (most 1911's are in the $800 to $1500 price range) but its tucked into a $19 holster. That is something I see as very common. Personally I'd rather have a $400 gun in a $100 holster. The holster and the belt it is attached to will make a HUGE difference in how comfortable -or uncomfortable- the gun is to carry. Guns that move are generally uncomfortable by the end of the day.

It seems very common to see people here talk about holsters like an Uncle Mike's or similar. Personally I think that there is a place for that type of concealed carry holster . . . it belongs in the back of the drawer with other unused stuff. Now if you want a low cost nylon holster for carry in the field, an OWB from Uncle Mike's or a similar design can work great. But for daily carry IWB or OWB for concealed self defense use, its not what I would recommend.

For daily carry, a holster that has 2 secure belt clips or belt hoops is going to be more stable than a holster that only has one. A holster that uses metal clips typically works better than one that uses plastic clips, but plastic loops seem to work just as well as metal loops. A holster that snugs the gun up tight to the body is more comfortable than one that does not but a holster that holds the gun away from the body is easier to draw from, it also is much harder to conceal.

Again, just some general thoughts about holsters. Not intended to insult anyone and their choices, just things I've learned.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    MD -

I use an Uncle Mikes Sidekick OWB holster for daily wear. What else would you suggest that I can go to a store and try on? I'm left handed and it's (more) difficult to find something comfortable.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A few more good points by MD.

My fingers are enjoying the vacation in this thread. . . :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    MD -

I use an Uncle Mikes Sidekick OWB holster for daily wear. What else would you suggest that I can go to a store and try on? I'm left handed and it's (more) difficult to find something comfortable.

Sadly many holsters are buy it and try it and many need to be ordered from a holster maker. That is why many of us who have been carrying a while have a holster drawer with unused holsters stuffed in the back. Some manufacturers offer a money back guarantee, some don't.

For an IWB holster I like, and wear, the Cross Breed Super Tuck Deluxe. For an OWB I use Don Hume JIT that I wear in the 3 O'Clock position and a Galco SOB that is worn at roughly 6 O'Clock. An alternate holster to the Super Tuck Deluxe is the Com-Tac Minataur, it costs a bit more, has a very slightly different design but is very similar. Milt Sparks makes great holsters, I don't currently use one. There are several other holster makers that have excellent quality holsters. Expect to pay $60 to $125 for most good quality holsters in their basic models, go for exotic leathers or fancy features and prices go up. But those are not feature's I'd personally opt for.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Ah. The only reason I bought the Sidekick was because I could open it and try it on right there. I need something tactical (black and not flashy), OWB, that I can wear at the 8 or 9 o'clock position that fits a fullsize XDm. I suppose I'll have to shop around.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Do you use "Israeli carry"? The hammer looks down so the safety is fine being off. That would predicate a slide action before use (two handed motion).

My biggest problem would be retention. A 1911 with the center of gravity outside of the pocket would not stay there on my couch or in a bucket seat. For me the solution is a speed scabbard with a retention strap or pocket carry with the entire firearm in the pocket (in a pocket holster).

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Ah. The only reason I bought the Sidekick was because I could open it and try it on right there. I need something tactical (black and not flashy), OWB, that I can wear at the 8 or 9 o'clock position that fits a fullsize XDm. I suppose I'll have to shop around.

Check out Raven Concealment Holsters. They make black kydex holsters(along with some other colors.) I know many around here, including me, will highly recommend them for a good, solid, day in and day out holster.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yes, the JIT is an inexpensive leather holster. There is not much to it but it is very well designed and holds a gun tight to the body with no movement. I tried to give general guidelines on the prices and the types. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Do you use "Israeli carry"? The hammer looks down so the safety is fine being off. That would predicate a slide action before use (two handed motion).

My biggest problem would be retention. A 1911 with the center of gravity outside of the pocket would not stay there on my couch or in a bucket seat. For me the solution is a speed scabbard with a retention strap or pocket carry with the entire firearm in the pocket (in a pocket holster).
    And you are highlighting many of the points that caused my first post in this thread. The gun simply cannot be secure in that type of carry if the person carrying it is forced to do anything other than simply walk. Try to run, have that much weight exposed and not secured, that gun is at risk.

As for the Israeli carry comment to the OP, for those who don't know, that would also indicate there is no bullet in the chamber.

I bought one, waited months to get it. Returned it. Waited months for my refund. Some people may really like them, the model I chose did not balance at all. That may be a function of body shape, holster design, etc.

Top Bottom