• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. I guess just showing up and putting in the hours is all it takes now.

Just like prison... show up, do your time and if you keep your nose clean, you get out on schedule after 12 years.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Boyle said in an emailed statement that suspending the reading, writing and math proficiency requirements will benefit "Oregon’s Black, Latino, Latina, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of colour."

Well, not so much the Asians...

Tell me about privilege again... who has it here?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll be that guy again. Did anyone read the bill or did you just take the media's word for it? Is it possible the media is making it more controversial than it actually is so you'll click on it, talk about it, and make them money?

Prohibits State Board of Education from requiring for high school diploma that student show proficiency in any academic content area if student successfully completed credit requirements.

Enrolled text: https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2021R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB744/Enrolled

So basically what it's doing is studying the standardized testing and if it's relevant, not that if you are illiterate you still get a diploma. One would assume you would not pass your English class if you were illiterate...

If you pass all your required classes, you get a diploma. Note that's how it is in Indiana, sort of, in that you still have to take the standardized test but if you fail you can still graduate if you have a "C" average and hit attendance requirements. For all you boomers and early Gen-Xers, this is exactly how you graduated high school.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One would assume you would not pass your English class if you were illiterate...

If you pass all your required classes, you get a diploma. Note that's how it is in Indiana, sort of, in that you still have to take the standardized test but if you fail you can still graduate if you have a "C" average and hit attendance requirements. For all you boomers and early Gen-Xers, this is exactly how you graduated high school.
    It still happens. Case in point, a one Marty Allen, Brownsburg HS class of 1992. Haven and I graduated with him.

His current residence is Wabash Valley Corrections, serving a life sentence for murder and attempted murder. And apparently he's not been a good inmate because he's had so much time tacked on since taking up residence he'll never get out. I think the current release date is 2180?

He was such an awful person none of the teachers wanted him to stick around. Even without doing any homework and handing in half-assed tests, he mysteriously passed all his classes and graduated with exactly the right number of credits needed. He committed his murders I believe in the summer of 92. May have been 93.

ninepntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2019
    Newton co
    After a year off school,
    High schoolers are already behind and
    this will not help. Especially inner city youth. Sad!
    Just another way to keep the sheeple dumb and dependent on the deep State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    So how is now okay for that students who graduate high school don't need to be able to read, write or do math at a high school level.

Hopefully the retired scholars on INGO can enlighten us on why this is good for what is left of the US?

Don't need to know how read or write anymore
    Keeping the masses uneducated makes them easier to manipulate.
    Also easier to alter history.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    If you pass the proficiency test as a freshman, why can't you graduate then?
    Isn't that the requirement for Indiana?

SWMBO taught inner-city 8th grade in Evansville in the 80s. She was forced to pass a student with an 11% average on to high school. His success there was, shall we say, limited.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I'll be that guy again. Did anyone read the bill or did you just take the media's word for it? Is it possible the media is making it more controversial than it actually is so you'll click on it, talk about it, and make them money?

Enrolled text: https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2021R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB744/Enrolled

So basically what it's doing is studying the standardized testing and if it's relevant, not that if you are illiterate you still get a diploma. One would assume you would not pass your English class if you were illiterate...

F6A173D1-00C7-4BEB-BC5E-A3B61EF19B9A.jpeg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I get it. To me, this is just an exemplar story and what goes on in Oregon doesn't bother me that much. People are frustrated that standards keep being lowered and they are. Further, it strikes me as perfectly emblematic of "the soft racism of low expectations" to say that eliminating basic proficiency testing will help minority students most. They should all be offended.

But here's the thing. Standardized testing and testing in general has been roundly criticized, sometimes validly, but the fact remains that there has to be some accountability that the system, and its employees, teachers and others, are doing the job. Maybe standardized testing isn't the best tool, could be done better, etc. I am more than open to alternatives. "Let us figure this out and you get the graduates we give you" isn't much of a plan, but this seems to be the strategy of the larger teachers unions.

Can we be assured that someone who passes their required classes can read, write and do basic math with some proficiency....no. Most can, but in some places, many cannot. So how can we have accountability? Further, without that accountability, what does a high school diploma mean?

Does there have to be a test? No. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve some level of confidence in high school education, but if the claim is that eliminating basic tests will "help" several communities because the kids can't pass the test...we shouldn't be at all happy with that.

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    This is just "another" benefit for teachers. I feel bad for the students but am very angry at the teachers and their union. Teachers should be evaluated by the quality of their end product; results (measured outcomes). Teachers can truly suck at their job and still get promotions and raises while the children suffer. The students are the victims of overpaid incompetent teachers.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I get it. To me, this is just an exemplar story and what goes on in Oregon doesn't bother me that much. People are frustrated that standards keep being lowered and they are. Further, it strikes me as perfectly emblematic of "the soft racism of low expectations" to say that eliminating basic proficiency testing will help minority students most. They should all be offended.

But here's the thing. Standardized testing and testing in general has been roundly criticized, sometimes validly, but the fact remains that there has to be some accountability that the system, and its employees, teachers and others, are doing the job. Maybe standardized testing isn't the best tool, could be done better, etc. I am more than open to alternatives. "Let us figure this out and you get the graduates we give you" isn't much of a plan, but this seems to be the strategy of the larger teachers unions.

Can we be assured that someone who passes their required classes can read, write and do basic math with some proficiency....no. Most can, but in some places, many cannot. So how can we have accountability? Further, without that accountability, what does a high school diploma mean?

Does there have to be a test? No. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve some level of confidence in high school education, but if the claim is that eliminating basic tests will "help" several communities because the kids can't pass the test...we shouldn't be at all happy with that.
    They aren't interested in improving anything, especially education. Dipshits are easy to lead around by the nose and they love it when you **** down their back and tell them it's raining. Some of the idiots are so stupid as to believe that if they lower standards enough for everyone to get straight A's then everyone will be equal and those who would be destined for no talent jobs and poverty in our current racist system can now be doctors, lawyers and CEOs. Because they got straight A's.

Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    Thanks BehindBlueI's for the guidance and corrections and making it clear that nothing is different in Oregon as it is here in Indiana which I was not aware of.

Like I have been told at work about 100 million times that I have too high exceptions and that I need to lower or not have any as no expectations = no disappointments.Which seems to be the normal now and some day I'll figure that out.

Top Bottom