• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    This doesn't bother me near as much as coming over, eating, staying long enough to bag up the leftovers, and then leaving the mess for someone else to clean up. If you're old enough to shove a fork in your mouth, you're old enough to put that fork in the dishwasher when you're done.

Yep!! Gotta get that food home before it spoils!!

Don

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Spend over 20k on a new vehicle and instead of getting a spare tire and jack you get an air pump and fix a flat.

They're trying to save weight and space. When you get to a certain point, you're looking for ounces and grams to save. It's a wonder they don't just give you a AAA card and call it a day.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There are a LOT of young people today that do not know how to change a tire anyhow. or how to use a jack or fix-a-flat.

Having a flat tire isn't as prevalent as it used to be.

Besides, what good is a spare if it's flat, too?

[video=youtube;MunowVfXOuY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MunowVfXOuY[/video]

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Having a flat tire isn't as prevalent as it used to be.

Besides, what good is a spare if it's flat, too?

That is true that flats are much less common today and that is a good thing because now it is a major problem for many people. They actually have to call for help or get towed somewhere, ridiculous.

A flat spare tire is natures way of punishing stupidity.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That is true that flats are much less common today and that is a good thing because now it is a major problem for many people. They actually have to call for help or get towed somewhere, ridiculous.
    Of course, now everyone has a phone at all times.

Indeed.

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.

My Jeep didn't come with a spare. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

No really.... It didn't. It is an option now on the Jeep Compass. It comes with an air compressor and a bottle of slime.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My Jeep didn't come with a spare. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

No really.... It didn't. It is an option now on the Jeep Compass. It comes with an air compressor and a bottle of slime.

What are the capabilities of the air compressor? Will it get up to 90 lbs at a few CFM? That would be a lot more useful than a spare tire.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have the compressor and slime option in my jeep. I have added a mushroom plug kit to it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I don't know man, they say God watches over fools. . . . . I saw a Dodge dually yesterday, 4 door, no bed, only one taillight and a 12"exhaust pipe dragging the ground underneath it. All 4 rear tires appeared to have new tire stickers on them but upon closer inspection at a light I saw that all 4 tires were corded thru several layers of belts. Driving like the last lap at the 500 thru traffic with not a care in the world.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Spend over 20k on a new vehicle and instead of getting a spare tire and jack you get an air pump and fix a flat.
    We didn't even get a pump.

They're trying to save weight and space. When you get to a certain point, you're looking for ounces and grams to save. It's a wonder they don't just give you a AAA card and call it a day.
    Ours was a space issue, they claimed the spare tire area for emissions equipment

There are a LOT of young people today that do not know how to change a tire anyhow. or how to use a jack or fix-a-flat.
    Truth

What are the capabilities of the air compressor? Will it get up to 90 lbs at a few CFM? That would be a lot more useful than a spare tire.
    Usually only capable of inflating a tire to 30 - 40 PSI in under 10 minutes. I believe max PSI on most is around 60. Better than nothing.

The plug kit is a good idea.

Will a tire shop repair a tire that has slime inside?
    Added a plug kit to both our vehicles with no spare. In my 20 some odd years of driving I've needed a spare once. The plug kit would likely have sufficed until I could get a proper repair as well. The current slime formulations are not as bad as they were in the past and should clean up though it might cost more than a simple flat repair. To be honest in most situations the pump is easier than a spare would be. Notice it's low, air it back up and get it repaired.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not sure what the compressor can do as I have never used it.

I had one that claimed 120 psi, took forever to get to 40, never tried 120 but doubt it. Probably deadheads at 120 before stripping out the plastic gears.

The plug kit is a good idea.

Will a tire shop repair a tire that has slime inside?

I've had tire shops that wouldn't even balance a tire with a plug in it. Said it was "dangerous". So I now have a razor knife in my plug kit to neatly trim the plug. I've also had them refuse to repair a tire that has been slimed even going so far as to refuse to even put the tire back on the rim. A lot of the places nowadays will fix a flat for free but that doesn't do you any good stuck out in the boonies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We didn't even get a pump.

Ours was a space issue, they claimed the spare tire area for emissions equipment

Truth

Usually only capable of inflating a tire to 30 - 40 PSI in under 10 minutes. I believe max PSI on most is around 60. Better than nothing.

Added a plug kit to both our vehicles with no spare. In my 20 some odd years of driving I've needed a spare once. The plug kit would likely have sufficed until I could get a proper repair as well. The current slime formulations are not as bad as they were in the past and should clean up though it might cost more than a simple flat repair. To be honest in most situations the pump is easier than a spare would be. Notice it's low, air it back up and get it repaired.

Notice is the key word here. I see tires danger low on cars/trucks all the time. See the same rigs days later and nothing has changed save the tire is lower. People in general could give a crap. If it starts and moves they are driving it. Stopping will be dealt with when the need arises.

Top Bottom