Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    sword-of-damocles.gif

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Meh, you have to figure her agent would get something moving on this to keep her career going, no income celebs don't generate much revenue for them.

Always follow the money

On a more positive redhead note.:)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I've heard that name and reference since about 5th grade and thought it was not uncommon usage. :dunno: Either way, though, people learning new stuff? I'll chalk that one up as win/win.

Blessings,
    Bill

It was in the encyclopedias we got with savings stamps from Piggly Wiggly. Had a cool picture of him with a shocked expression looking up at the sword.
    Was used in a Three Stooges episode too wasn't it? Or am I thinking about the Marx Brothers?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My preference is that no one uses it, but within the context of comedy, there are times when it doesn't come off as so offensive (rarely).
    "-er" and "-a" are often the litmus test for which version is offensive, and which isn't. In most instance if someone uses the "-er," they are trying to be offensive.
    There was a video in the last couple weeks of a chick using a variant of the n-word on a bus, to a couple black guys, and one of them slapped her before getting off the bus.

I was prepared to be righteously indignant.

Alas, it was more complicated than that.

The chick appeared to be explaining that she and her friends call each other that all the time. The implication being, at least some of her friends are black. She is white, of the trash variety. One of the guys said that if she kept calling them that, she deserved to get slapped. One of them dared her to call him that again.

She did. The -er or -a variant is unclear. To me, she did not appear to be using it in the traditional white supremecist -er way.

He slapped her.

He appeared to me to be late 20s, maybe 30s, and probably wasn't down with either the -er or -a variant. Especially not from her.

Life is complicated.

Link to vid:
    deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There was a video in the last couple weeks of a chick using a variant of the n-word on a bus, to a couple black guys, and one of them slapped her before getting off the bus.

The chick appeared to be explaining that she and her friends call each other that all the time. The implication being, at least some of her friends are black. She is white, of the trash variety. One of the guys said that if she kept calling them that, she deserved to get slapped. One of them dared her to call him that again.

She did. The -er or -a variant is unclear. To me, she did not appear to be using it in the traditional white supremecist -er way.

He slapped her.

He appeared to me to be late 20s, maybe 30s, and probably wasn't down with either the -er or -a variant. Especially not from her.

Life is complicated.

Link to vid:

TLex, it's time you go visit the ear doctor. lol

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's tragic that the English language doesn't have any other words that people can use and they're literally forced to use a word that they know will offend people for no good reason.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    TLex, it's time you go visit the ear doctor. lol
    haha

Ok. Maybe you're right - but do you hear the -er or the -a?

At the beginning, isn't she trying to explain that it isn't a big deal, which lends itself to the -a version?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's tragic that the English language doesn't have any other words that people can use and they're literally forced to use a word that they know will offend people for no good reason.

It has plenty of fun words that people hate! Those are my favorite words.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

There are plenty of words/phrases he could've used. Historical references to people whose loyalty may be different than their most obvious characteristics are plentiful.

I fault Maher for being uncharacteristically uncreative.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    haha

Ok. Maybe you're right - but do you hear the -er or the -a?

At the beginning, isn't she trying to explain that it isn't a big deal, which lends itself to the -a version?

The hard "-er." She wasn't using that word innocently, as a course of her natural vernacular. She was intentionally trying to get a rise out of the guy. That doesn't excuse him slapping her, but anybody with a lick of sense probably knew she was about to get slapped.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

He slapped her.

Life is complicated.

Link to vid:

Yes life is compicated and we have made/allowed it to be.
    Rappers/black comedians every other word dropped is the "N" bomb in your face.
    Bill Maher uses it in a comedic fashion (his words not mine) and he gets lambasted. I am no B.M. fan (see what I did there) in any sense of the word but the double standard is in place and used as a lever against "Us". Us being anyone outside the protected status who use that word at least 1 time a minute in conversation.

I am not a racist. I like people. Just people. People who respect one another. Polite people. This knows no culture/race boundary's past what is injected to establish a boundary. We can do this and you can not.
    The twins in my avatar are mixed as is their 10 year old sister. They are the absolute best of all of us.

That said the silly female should know when to STFU and move on.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The hard "-er." She wasn't using that word innocently, as a course of her natural vernacular. She was intentionally trying to get a rise out of the guy. That doesn't excuse him slapping her, but anybody with a lick of sense probably knew she was about to get slapped.

See, I think it was part of her regular vernacular, in a controlled group where it had a specific meaning. Carrying that meaning outside the familiar environment posted known risks, that she aggravated rather than mitigated.

Anyway, didn't mean a total derail with that. Just saw the topic come up. :)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    See, I think it was part of her regular vernacular, in a controlled group where it had a specific meaning. Carrying that meaning outside the familiar environment posted known risks, that she aggravated rather than mitigated.

Anyway, didn't mean a total derail with that. Just saw the topic come up. :)

Black people, even in a familiar environment don't use the hard "-er," unless they want to be offensive. Transitioning from -a to -er typically means there's about be trouble.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh, can we please have this morph into a "why is it OK for black people to use that word when white people can't" thread?

Those are the best.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Slapping the idiot white trash woman was illegal, and I would be cool with charges filed against the guy.

However, given her constant provocation of him, were I on the jury I would vote "not guilty." If one pokes the hornets a stinging retort is likely to follow.

Regards,

Doug

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, can we please have this morph into a "why is it OK for black people to use that word when white people can't" thread?

Those are the best.

Does the phrase "trump card" have different meaning based on political affiliation?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Black people, even in a familiar environment don't use the hard "-er," unless they want to be offensive. Transitioning from -a to -er typically means there's about be trouble.

Same with us rural whites..."Cracka" is kind of a term of endearment meant in a playful fashion but when my L.A. born liberal brother in law uses the hard "r" as in "Cracker" I have to let him know that being kin to me doesn't give him an immediate trailer park pass.....

:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Slapping the idiot white trash woman was illegal, and I would be cool with charges filed against the guy.

However,
    given her constant provocation of him, were I on the jury I would vote "not guilty." If one pokes the hornets a stinging retort is likely to follow.

Regards,

Doug

See, now I think that is a case where the term "aggravated assault" would be used properly. Yes, he assaulted her, but she "aggravated" him. I know that's not the true meaning of the term, but it should be. ;)

Top Bottom