• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He said that the "heavy" Italian food in general that we think of here (lasagna, alfredo, etc.) is from northern Italy. In southern Italy, everything is much lighter.

IIRC, "red sauce Italian" is more southern/Sicily. We did not go to northern Italy. We spent a week in Naples, then 3 days in Florence (Firenzia), a day trip to Pisa (there's not jack poo there other than the tower with the bad foundation), and then 4 days in Rome (Roma). Naples was pizza and seafood. Florence was very different, I remember having a rabbit stewed with mushrooms. Rome was an eclectic mix of everything like most big cities. I don't know what their traditional food was. They did have pizza, of course, and even there it wasn't quite like Naples. Still very good, mind you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    IIRC, "red sauce Italian" is more southern/Sicily. We did not go to northern Italy. We spent a week in Naples, then 3 days in Florence (Firenzia), a day trip to Pisa (there's not jack poo there other than the tower with the bad foundation), and then 4 days in Rome (Roma). Naples was pizza and seafood. Florence was very different, I remember having a rabbit stewed with mushrooms. Rome was an eclectic mix of everything like most big cities. I don't know what their traditional food was. They did have pizza, of course, and even there it wasn't quite like Naples. Still very good, mind you.
    Yep, her dad was from Sicily I believe.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Back in the days, there was a couple of pizza places that were on the side of a bar or two in Gary.
    Yes, I know they were safe because the local cops liked them, and cop cars always parked in front.
    They weren't in bar front, but at the pizza place. I'm sure because I use to get a to go pizza.

Flamingos, Richocet, Romas, were a few that are all history that the buldings were knocked down.
    There is a Dominos or Want a Pizza, but I think its a stretch from the guy with one arm making Pizza at Flamingos. Real crust,tasty sauce, crumbled sausage.
    Could remember the one arm guy had his son/grandson spinning the dough in the air for crust making. Was well worth the tip left in the jar. Old days gone.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    EXACTLY!!! Had last night and asked for EXTRA CRISPY and still soggy.
    I tell them to let me see it before they cut it up. They cook in brownsburg just won't believe that I want the crust to have some char on it. But he's Peruvian, so what does he know about pizza?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Here in Goshen I like Paesello's. In Elkhart there are several good places, Columbos, Antonio's...
    Venturi in Goshen is great, if you're into Neapolitan style pizza.

The Elkhart area is really amazing for pizza. I'd also add Milano's and Davinci's to your list.

I hope they all manage to maintain their standards as the businesses pass down to 2nd and 3rd generations.

It's sad to travel outside of this area and see what passed for "good" pizza.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    According to this, I do not live in Da Region because my house is south of the north-south dividing line in Porter County (.15 miles).

Best? Darned if I know, but I've never been dissatisfied with Greeks in Valparaiso.
    But didn't you used to live in Da Region? If so, once a region rat always a region rat.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I lived in South Haven for 15 years. If South Haven isn't the official subdivision of Da Region, then there has been a grave miscarriage of justice.
    I'd definetly consider S Haven part of Da Region, but not sure about the official subdivision part. I can think of many worthy contenders. Black oak/Calumet township, EC, etc.

And depending on which 15 yrs, we might have been almost neighbors. I lived in Crocker for a while.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'd definetly consider S Haven part of Da Region, but not sure about the official subdivision part. I can think of many worthy contenders. Black oak/Calumet township, EC, etc.

And depending on which 15 yrs, we might have been almost neighbors. I lived in Crocker for a while.
    I lived on Fox River Road (Old South Haven), near 700 N from 1999-2014.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Venturi in Goshen is great, if you're into Neapolitan style pizza.

The Elkhart area is really amazing for pizza. I'd also add Milano's and Davinci's to your list.

I hope they all manage to maintain their standards as the businesses pass down to 2nd and 3rd generations.

It's sad to travel outside of this area and see what passed for "good" pizza.
    I will have to try Venturi at some point. Never been there.
    Elkhart always had amazing Italian food. When they had their own version of Little Italy down on Harrison Street, there were really great places to eat. Now that the Italians all moved out, I wouldn't want to be down there after dark.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I lived on Fox River Road (Old South Haven), near 700 N from 1999-2014.
    I think I moved out of the apt I was renting there around 2001 iirc. So about a mile or so away from you. My brother still lives in Crocker. I think a guy down the road from him still has horses and chickens in his back yard. He was grandfathered in when Chesterton absorbed it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Yes, you're 100% right. Connersville Pizza King tastes nothing like Liberty Pizza King which is 20 minutes away. They seem to have a really weird history and franchise system...wonder if that's why it varies so much.

Side note: is pizza the first thing we've ever agreed on??

BigRed.....bringing peace and understanding to the world.

IMG_0600.PNG

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Here in Goshen I like Paesello's. In Elkhart there are several good places, Columbos, Antonio's...
    Well this is a kick in the :rolleyes: ...

xTQJd2jl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Pizza King on Charlestown Rd in New Albany and Arni's Floyds Knobs are good. They are not consistent from location to location. When I was a kid, the Noble Roman's in Clarksville was my favorite. The Noble Roman's in Martinsville was good when I last went to it... was about 15 years ago. I would like to find a good pizza place near here.

Top Bottom