• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Just a comment on the current state of affairs on my part. Yes we can track this all the way back to grandparents and why this is happening. There is a point where folks have to step up to the plate. Society, social media, public schools, people in general all have a place in the blame.

Are you a millennial....??
    Just curious.

Yes I am. I agree somebody has to step up and stop the cycle and that can only be done on an individual level. I think the feminist movement has a lot of blame for making this country so "wussified ". We're also coming into an age of the haves and have nots thanks to technology so there will be some rough changes ahead for everyone. Those who work together will have the best chance of survival. I think we can look at Asian cultures, Mexican cultures for good examples of that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It does indeed start at the individual level. I will not raise my children to be victims, but to fight tooth and nail when needed. That's my primary objective as a father and protector. If more people raise their children the same way then that's a bonus. If not, that's on them.

I do think a lot of the current victim mentality coincides with the overall rise of feminism, decline of masculinity and the diminishing importance given to a man's role in society as a protector, provider, pro-creator.

As the father of young kids I've been thinking a lot about the type of man, husband and father I want to be. It's interesting and a bit sad to see what the modern man has become over the past 70 years or so. Very little is expected from grown men these days. Even less for young men.

This is a very interesting series of articles that got me really thinking more about this topic. It's pretty in depth, so you'll need to set aside some time to get through the entire series. That said, it barely scratches the surface.

Semper Virilis: A Roadmap to Manhood in the 21st Century

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    Some consultants at the mill I work at suggested management be "friendlier"
    QUOTE]

Are you ****ing serious? Don't get me wrong, working for an ***hole boss sucks and luckily I currently have an awesome boss, but a boss is a boss, not a friend. Same way I feel about parents. They should be parents and not their kids best friend. I know that is controversial to some, but I think that is part of the problems we have today parents want to be their kids' friend and not their parent.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some consultants at the mill I work at suggested management be "friendlier"
    QUOTE]

Are you ****ing serious? Don't get me wrong, working for an ***hole boss sucks and luckily I currently have an awesome boss, but a boss is a boss, not a friend. Same way I feel about parents. They should be parents and not their kids best friend. I know that is controversial to some, but I think that is part of the problems we have today parents want to be their kids' friend and not their parent.

Yup its true

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Found this earlier, though it apt:

Eiland's Theory of Compensatory Misery:
    "As human society gradually solves the problems of basic survival and reduces the amount of other miseries rooted in the reality of the human condition, the fringe elements of that society feel an increasingly strong compulsion to become obsessively angry about ever more trivial causes to recapture the sense that life is a painful struggle."

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Related. Here's this week's cover of The Spectator. Never read it, no idea about the content of the article... but if the cover is representative of the article, that's a good comparison of today's wuss-feminists vs genuine feminists that had something to fight about back in the day.

CR17oGwWIAAK8Ao.jpg:large

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Found this earlier, though it apt:

Eiland's Theory of Compensatory Misery:
    "As human society gradually solves the problems of basic survival and reduces the amount of other miseries rooted in the reality of the human condition, the fringe elements of that society feel an increasingly strong compulsion to become obsessively angry about ever more trivial causes to recapture the sense that life is a painful struggle."

It's funny to see the feckless imagination of what life will be like 20 years from now. We dream of utopias and when we get there we find that it's nothing like our imaginations concocted, that the biggest change from the past, other than technology making once arduous tasks mundane, is not a decrease in the level of misery but in the greater triviality of what makes us miserable.

It doesn't have to be like that. I mean we could just tell the thoughtless feelers what their parents should have told them, just shut the **** up and learn how to cope.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDNkZ7rG9m0

This is from 4 or 5 years ago and before he went 'commercial". Regardless what he says, his words are true and stand the test of time. We sent men to the moon, built the SR-71, Golden gate bridge, sky scrapers with slide rules. Today, watch a $10.00 an hour clerk to to make change without a computer. Can't do it. My definition of wussification, no critical or analytical skills to solve problems.

JFK said; we do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard. try finding any kid today that know anything about hard work.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Remember when we said things like "sticks and stones...."

Well now the most frequent time you will hear that old saying is when someone follows it up with and ultra serious and accusatory: "Yes, they DO!"

Maybe, maybe not, but one can learn to not be hurt and we appear to have given up on that altogether. Now we're all supposed to wallow in self-pity and attack anyone who doesn't "validate" your "pain".

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDNkZ7rG9m0

This is from 4 or 5 years ago and before he went 'commercial". Regardless what he says, his words are true and stand the test of time. We sent men to the moon, built the SR-71, Golden gate bridge, sky scrapers with slide rules. Today, watch a $10.00 an hour clerk to to make change without a computer. Can't do it. My definition of wussification, no critical or analytical skills to solve problems.

JFK said; we do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard. try finding any kid today that know anything about hard work.
    I had a clerk at a McDonalds pull out his phone to figure out change for $1.07 from $1.27. I was flabbergasted to say the least.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had a clerk at a McDonalds pull out his phone to figure out change for $1.07 from $1.27. I was flabbergasted to say the least.

Last week, I went through a drive through and the bill was $10.48. I had time in line and change in the ashtray, so I paid with a $20 and 48 cents. The cashier looked at me, thoroughly confused, then typed in what I had given her (I assume), then handed me $12 in change. I gave her back the $2 and told her she gave me too much. Again, she looked confused and said: "I guess I did". I'm still not sure she actually understood.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Last week, I went through a drive through and the bill was $10.48. I had time in line and change in the ashtray, so I paid with a $20 and 48 cents. The cashier looked at me, thoroughly confused, then typed in what I had given her (I assume), then handed me $12 in change. I gave her back the $2 and told her she gave me too much. Again, she looked confused and said: "I guess I did". I'm still not sure she actually understood.
    It is sad what children are being taught these days.

After my encounter, I immediately called my 18 year old son and asked him to tell me what the change would be. Thankfully he got the answer without effort.:faint:

Top Bottom