These are the people we should pay $15/hr??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So I stopped into Taco Bell for lunch today, because let’s face it, tacos are delicious. My order rings up to $6.48 and since I get the same thing nearly every time I go in, I was prepared with 6 dollars, a quarter, and three dimes for a total of $6.55.

The girl behind the counter is in her late teens or early 20s, and she looked absolutely perplexed when I handed her the money. She stared at it for a minute before asking me, “you gave me exact change right?”

I said, “No, since it’s $6.48, there would need to be pennies in there for it to be exact change.”

She looked at me funny before setting the money down on the counter, struggling to count it. After a few seconds she actually asked me if I would count it for her. I pointed to the coins and said, “25, 35, 45, 55,” as I took over what should be her job duties.

Still confused, she rang up $6.50 in the computer and said, “two cents is your change.”

I politely corrected her and let her know that she actually owed me seven cents back, but I wasn’t worried about the nickel. She just shrugged and told me she had a cold and wasn’t feeling very well, that’s why she was having so much trouble counting today.

As I was eating, she came out from behind the counter several times to sweep the dining room, all the while customers kept coming in. Not once did she say, “I’ll be with you in a moment” or offer any type of acknowledgement. At one point she even interrupted an elderly couple during their meal to ask them if they would move so she could sweep under their table. I couldn’t believe it when they actually did.

As I left, I walked past the register and I saw another customer with his change spread out on the counter. I could hear him counting out loud, “$3.50, 60, 70, 80.”

And we’re supposed to pay people like this $15 an hour as a minimum wage? Give me a break. She can’t even work the register. What’s she going to do with $15 an hour?

Education -- Get some.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thirty five years ago I started noticing the dumbing of our society. It is sad. The OP's story is only one of thousands that can be told every day. It is sad.

Yes, I know that I said "It is sad" twice (actually three times).

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Things like this don't anger me as much as they depress me. I deal with a cash register on a daily basis. On occasion when people give me their money I punch in the wrong numbers on the register. Guess how I give them the proper change back. MATH!!! That's right, folks. I add and subtract numbers...and I do it all in my head :nailbite:

I know you all must be thinking I'm some sort of a math genius to be able to just pull out of thin air what the proper change is for someone when their bill is $10.53 and they give me $15, but this is not so! I actually failed more than one math class in high school (God I hate algebra).

In all seriousness, I really am saddened by this. It's not calculus we're talking about here. It's basic addition and subtraction. This is stuff that we learned in grade school. I fear for my children...and there is no purple implied there.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Things like this don't anger me as much as they depress me. I deal with a cash register on a daily basis. On occasion when people give me their money I punch in the wrong numbers on the register. Guess how I give them the proper change back. MATH!!! That's right, folks. I add and subtract numbers...and I do it all in my head :nailbite:

I know you all must be thinking I'm some sort of a math genius to be able to just pull out of thin air what the proper change is for someone when their bill is $10.53 and they give me $15, but this is not so! I actually failed more than one math class in high school (God I hate algebra).

In all seriousness, I really am saddened by this. It's not calculus we're talking about here. It's basic addition and subtraction. This is stuff that we learned in grade school. I fear for my children...and there is no purple implied there.

Ah yes but we're not talking about "us", we're talking about "them".

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It's really rather frustrating that if you can calculate sales tax in your head and do basic math, people look at you like you are Rainman or something.

I actually explained to someone once that I calculated 8% as sliding the decimal point (10%) and subtracting 2x of another decimal point slide (1%).

example: total is 13.68

I take 1.37 and subract 0.28 to get 1.09. Then I add it back to the 13.68 to get 14.77.

Is this abnormal somehow? Everyone in my family does this kind of thing, and my wife does too..

Top Bottom