These are the people we should pay $15/hr??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Story!

Me and a buddy were at Lowes, we had to pick up a laundry rod, and brackets to hang it. As we were approaching the register, he said "If you can guess how much this will be, I will pay for it." I replied "Okay, give me one second." Thought over what we had in our hands (had to remember the prices, multiplied for sales tax, yadda yadda yadda, came up with 59.94, and sure as ****, it was 59.94, he couldn't believe it.

I don't understand. I am TERRIBLE at math, I did NOT do well in any high school math classes, I will be the first to admit it. You start mixing in more than three letters, and I need paper and a pencil. But for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, I can do most all of it in my head.. It isn't hard, but it really does bother me when my peers can't add a twenty, a ten and five ones and get 35.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Common sense is not so common these days.

I went through the drive through at Rally's the other day. I ordered my burger and 1 apple pie. She said, "sir, you can get 2 apple pies for a dollar". I said, no thank you, I'll have 1 apple pie. Again, she says "but sir you can get 2 for a dollar". I said, "1 please". As I drove away checking the contents of my bag, there were 2 apple pies in there.

Maybe, I don't want to get fat. Maybe the universe' fate depended upon me just getting 1 damn apple pie.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Not when she's getting free birth control from Obamacare...

So, let me get this straight. This girl is working a menial job for nowhere near 15 bucks an hour, and you are already chalking her up as getting pregnant and signing up for entitlements??

I'm glad she's working and trying. I'd hope someone who manages the business takes the time to coach her to do better. I'm going to give her credit for getting out there and working, and not sitting at home collecting.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I went to a mcdonalds yesterday and got a bacon and cheese burger they just started putting on the dollar menu and what did I get? just a bacon burger. It even said bacon cheese on the wrapper. Why do those people deserve 15$ an hour? They don't.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I went to a mcdonalds yesterday and got a bacon and cheese burger they just started putting on the dollar menu and what did I get? just a bacon burger. It even said bacon cheese on the wrapper. Why do those people deserve 15$ an hour? They don't.

So they're not entitled to make mistakes? Don't get me wrong. I don't necessarily think they deserve $15/hr either, but you make it seem like a simple mistake is the determining factor for that. We all screw up. It happens. If I go to a fast food place and my food is wrong I simply take it back and explain that there was an error. Nine times out of ten it gets fixed right away. It's pretty simple really.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I had a bad experience at a restaurant so everyone that works in food service is an idiot!!!!!!!! You should all be as brilliant as I am!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Or a caliper.
    You laugh, but I never took shop (wasn't even offered). I inherited a caliper from my grandfather, and tried to use it to measure the thickness of shims when setting up a differential. Thank goodness for google and a quick primer! I had no flipping idea what I was doing. Finally got myself straight, but printed out directions for the next time.

Back to the OP: I worked "fast food" for a while in highschool. The owner would hold several competitions every few weeks. One of which was counting change. She set it up in brackets, and you could keep all you won. Last place got to wash dishes that night. I can STILL count change. Thanks, Diane!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I actually had a similar situation at a gas station at girls school and Rockville rd, I went by there on my way to my first stop and pulled in to grab a couple Cokes, so I go in, hit the head (no bathrooms on my truck, but I wish there was) grab my coke, and hand the lady, probably in her mid-20's, $3 and some change... She stares at it for at least 30 seconds, then rings up my total 10 cents over what I gave her???:n00b: So she gives me the change and to avoid publicly embarrassing her, I just drop it in the take a penny thing. I swear I pondered for two hours how a grown woman couldn't count change???

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I never understood how people couldn't count change. I learned how to do that in 1st grade. It just amazes me the stupidity of people, and yet my generation gets stereotyped because of idiots like this.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    You laugh, but I never took shop (wasn't even offered). I inherited a caliper from my grandfather, and tried to use it to measure the thickness of shims when setting up a differential. Thank goodness for google and a quick primer! I had no flipping idea what I was doing. Finally got myself straight, but printed out directions for the next time.
    i learned how to read a caliper in shop, but I have no freakin' idea how to do it now! If nobody teaches you, you'll never learn. Hell, I didn't learn to read a tape measure until 8th grade in drafting class. One of the guys in class said this is 1/8, this is 1/16, I got it after that, but somebody had to show me.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    So, let me get this straight. This girl is working a menial job for nowhere near 15 bucks an hour, and you are already chalking her up as getting pregnant and signing up for entitlements??

I'm glad she's working and trying. I'd hope someone who manages the business takes the time to coach her to do better. I'm going to give her credit for getting out there and working, and not sitting at home collecting.

As I read this, I don't think he is specifically DISSing her for working there. The way I see it, He, and all the rest of us that weep for our future, are sad for the fact, at her age, she still can't do simple math in her head. I too hope someone takes her under their wing and helps this person to succeed. But don't you wish SOMEONE had made sure this young lady had THESE SKILLS BEFORE she left HS. Or Jr Hi. Or 4th grade. That's the grade where I was expected to do simple math in my head. I deal with High School Juniors and Seniors on a regular basis. It is sad to see how many of them can not subtract the number of missed questions from the total number of questions on a test w/o using a calculator (on their smart phone, of course). I am not even asking them to figure the percentage, just the raw score - ie 12 wrong out of 48 questions. 48-12=36. It's NOT all our students, but it is too many of them to let this slide.

These folks will be eligible to vote soon. These folks will soon be having familes. These folks are our future. The sad thing is that this is damn near becoming the norm. And pointing it out, or expecting folks to be held accountable, to be responsible, the teachers and schools, the students, their parents, is all frowned upon.

Sad in deed.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I tossed you an acorn, a caliper, and a micrometer and asked you how big around the acorn was, you could be forgiven for not being able to use the micrometer, or for not understanding the use of the vernier scale portion of the caliper, but you honestly couldn't give me an answer to the nearest whole unit in which the calipers are demarcated?

Hohn's method for calculating 18% is pretty nifty, but I don't give 18% tips. I give 15% tips, if I tip at all.

Say the total came to $7.83. Multiply by 10 by moving the decimal point. That's the number of cents a 10% tip would be. 78.3¢. Add half of that (additional 5%) in again for 15% total. 39.15¢. 117.45¢. Round it off to the nearest cent and convert to dollars. $1.17. Add it into the total. $9.00. And people have no idea how I do this crap in my head.

Calculating 7% sales tax is just multiplying the subtotal by 7 and that's the amount of tax in cents. It's not rocket surgery. But I did that once at the counter of a BK in northern Indy for just a simple soft drink. I had exact change ready in hand before I even got up to the counter. Ordered my drink. The wage slave went "Beep boop bip.", and came up with 1¢ more than I had put on the counter. I paused, redid the calculation more carefully, and I was still right, and that cash register was wrong. I even asked them what sales tax rate they were using and it was the same as I was. Apparently, this particular BK was rigging the tax calculation to use a ceiling instead of a rounding function so they could pocket an average of a half an additional cent per transaction, and I told the wage slave so. She just stood pat that the drink would cost me X + 1¢, but she'd made the mistake of sitting the cup down on the counter already. I just took my cup and walked away to the fountain and got my drink.

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    While in high school and my first try at college, I worked at your typical gas station/convenience store. We never put in the amount the customer gave us, just hit 'cash' (debit cards were a thing of the future) and counted out the change.
    Occasionally I actually pay cash for things and if the amount is say $2.57 and I give the cashier $5.03 the very confused look in return is priceless!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    While in high school and my first try at college, I worked at your typical gas station/convenience store. We never put in the amount the customer gave us, just hit 'cash' (debit cards were a thing of the future) and counted out the change.
    Occasionally I actually pay cash for things and if the amount is say $2.57 and I give the cashier $5.03 the very confused look in return is priceless!

I do that a lot now. makes me sad that this is where our future is headed. people who can't add

Top Bottom