• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I like the idea of calling BS on politicians who screw with the facts. The problem is that the "fact-checkers" are so often biased that they tend to find a way to side with the guys they agree with, while bending over backwards to make their ideological opponents out to be liars.

What would be truly interesting is a nuetral group (and the only way to achieve that is to have opposing ideologies on the committee) who delved into these claims. I think that eventually something like that would be very large. I'd love a place I trusted that I could check with on some of the claims these guys make. I just don't have the time to look up every study and primary source and form my own opinion. And this is from an issues and politics geek who does spend a lot of time doing just that. The average person who just wants to find out what's going on over his cereal or at night after supper just has a ring in his nose because he's not got the time or the tools to separate fact from fiction.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That's what seems to be going on with this program. They've been impartial so far and called out pols from both sides. I do hope it could spread and retain the impartiality they've shown so far.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have a difficult time putting much trust in an organization that represents truth with a graphical representation of an analog meter. There ain't no such thing as halfway crooks.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    That's what seems to be going on with this program. They've been impartial so far and called out pols from both sides. I do hope it could spread and retain the impartiality they've shown so far.

I just looked through the site extensively. I'd say it's pretty heavily biased left. Take a look at their "Pants on Fire" ratings. Several conservative statements for every statement from the left. Also, they do a lot more explaining for the left, whereas they're holding the right to pretty exact standards.

Also, they ignore some pretty blatant statements from the left that are lies.

Reminds me a little of snopes. You can get some good info there, but the bias is still evident.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I like the idea of calling BS on politicians who screw with the facts. The problem is that the "fact-checkers" are so often biased that they tend to find a way to side with the guys they agree with, while bending over backwards to make their ideological opponents out to be liars.

What would be truly interesting is a nuetral group (and the only way to achieve that is to have opposing ideologies on the committee) who delved into these claims. I think that eventually something like that would be very large. I'd love a place I trusted that I could check with on some of the claims these guys make. I just don't have the time to look up every study and primary source and form my own opinion. And this is from an issues and politics geek who does spend a lot of time doing just that. The average person who just wants to find out what's going on over his cereal or at night after supper just has a ring in his nose because he's not got the time or the tools to separate fact from fiction.

Excellent point made above ^.

Its just like the web site snoops. I have found that snoops is very much "Liberal Orientated"

I also spent some time on the web site and I would say it leans to the left also.

It's a great idea but unless you get unbiased neutral people running the Truth O Meter your still going to have slants. And slanting left is what I see on the web site.

By the way the "Pants on Fire" is amusing. Who cares if BO was or was not in a Rap video?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have a similar problems when articles are published in various newspapers, written by such-and-such think tank. Without researching the think tank's political persuasion if it is one that I am not familiar with, it leaves me scratching my head if it is a conservative writer in a progressive tank or a progressive writer in a conservative tank.

Ask the newspaper and they tell me that they take no sides - "We're unbiased." No one is unbiased.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Is this the one from the Annenburg Foundation (or some spelling variant)? They are a big sponsor of National Public Radio. Read into that what you will.

Top Bottom