• Status
    Not open for further replies.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

"Coyotes are native to Indiana, although they were once limited to the prairie regions of western Indiana."
    My part of Indiana has no prairie, so here they are invasive exotics , occupying the niche once occupied by wolves.
    And having a permanent open season without permits required is a strange way to manage a well-adjusted "native" animal. Almost like they want to extirpate it.

FYI

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a family of feral cats that planted itself in my garage. I've started capturing them for TNR (trap, neuter, release). There are laws, regulations, and requirements if you support them. For example, I have to keep medical records on them for any veterinary work I have done. TNR is not simply getting their plumbing monkeyed with. They have any parasites removed, a three year rabies shot, whatever others are required, general checkup, a bath and flea repellent applied. They come back healthy if not happy. The left ear is clipped so you can see the cat has been tended to. It is required that they be released in their home location.

One of them had a litter of three kittens this spring, and I'm going to domesticate those to be adopted out. I've already picked one of them up and pet it. The older ones are too wild. I plan to build a shelter for them, and get them out of the garage. Between the squirrels and the cats, much damage has been done. The shelter will include the capability to capture, so I can finish off the TNR. I feed them, but not quite enough to keep them full, so they earn their keep suppressing the rodents. I've had to move my bird feeders; I watched Enfield jump off the deck rail and take a bird straight off the feeder. Amazing hit, but I don't want to encourage that :facepalm: Yes, they have names. The form at the spay/neuter clinic requires one, and I can specify which one I'm talking about instead of just saying "the black one" (they're all black).

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    30657107_10204346750985901_447631963630848166_n.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom