Mitchell

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Fork truck drivers at the GM plant I’m familiar with are rarely held responsible for collisions they have with their trucks. Something like this though...s/he probably got a balance of shift and (depending on his/her record) a day or more off…s/he will get paid for it eventually.

I wonder about the fragility of these batteries? If we cannot harden them up, what about their packaging?

Next question is what happens in a bad accident involving EV's?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wonder about the fragility of these batteries? If we cannot harden them up, what about their packaging?

Next question is what happens in a bad accident involving EV's?
    Got me. Just spitballing here but I would imagine that once they’re in the vehicle there is much greater protection than when they’re setting on pallets on the plant floor.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    The woke hate Elon since he freed the bird, funny how the same top rated models for 12 years are now crap rated and everyone here posts those links (fulfilling your desires)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Reuters pointed out that the Dutch coastguard said the fire's origin is unknown, but Dutch broadcaster RTL said emergency responders were heard saying, "The fire started in the battery of an electric car."

The fire broke out late Tuesday night on board the vessel. Coastguard officials said the fire "could still burn for days." The latest known position of the ship was off the northern Dutch coast on Wednesday.
    Another false story. They haven't figured out where the fire started, but they know it wasn't in an EV. All 500 were recovered undamaged.
    The German company BLG stated that they had loaded 2,500 cars and "high and heavy" cargo on Fremantle Highway at the port of Bremerhaven in addition to already loaded cars.[4] On 28 July, it was reported that there were almost 500 electric cars on the ship, which was significantly more than originally assumed, although all were recovered without significant damage and did not contribute to the fire.
    While the fire is still officially listed as under investigation, the trade Automobilwoche contends the preliminary survey and report say apparently the fire was not caused by electric cars. The manifest showed there were 498 electric vehicles and hybrids and a total of 3,784 vehicles including some heavy equipment in addition to cars.
    One may have caught fire while being removed though.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I read your top post as purple, but if “The Real Costs of Electric Car Ownership”
    are not what you want, then you might look elsewhere…
    Apologize Season 3 GIF by Billions (GIF Image)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Another false story. They haven't figured out where the fire started, but they know it wasn't in an EV. All 500 were recovered undamaged.

One may have caught fire while being removed though.
    Images appeared on Dutch TV of a Mercedes-Benz, likely an EQE Sedan or EQS (they look the same at a distance) being hoisted off the ship. While it looks fine it is lowered into a steel bin and firefighters can be seen spraying water into the bin and steam rises. They then cover the bin with a tarp to cut off oxygen to the fire – a standard method accepted for fighting battery fires on EVs.

I do not believe either way at the moment. True we are not certain of what caused the fire. But the gasoline/hybrid cars driving off down the ramp were not on fire. The BMW EV appears to have been at least heated to the point that the batteries burst into flame when enough oxygen was present. It leads me to think one of the BMW EV's was more than likely the source. Given the push in the EU media for everyone to drive an EV, I do not trust them when they say "likely not an EV" that started the fire.

Top Bottom