• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Again, this is nothing new. A lot of cars have these systems today. From what I can see VW, Ford, Dodge, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Lexus,.... These are all in cars with GAS engines. If someone wants to have their car sound louder, they can. If they don't, they can turn it off.
    :): I was gonna take a swipe at Ford and others for doing this, but I thought it wasn't actually the same thing since they run the actual sound through DSP and feed that through the sound system to combine with the actual sound to make what you hear sound better. They seem to be doing here is just making fake sounds. Is that going to make gearhead culture accept EV's? No. Is it a gimmick? Yes.

I think marketing people see complaints that one source of reluctance to accept EV's is some people are used to hearing the exhaust note, and they miss it. I think the idea that this will make people less reluctant is out of touch.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

The Trouble With Comparing Next-Gen Car Batteries​

As manufacturers seek to move beyond lithium-ion, they face one big challenge: There’s no yardstick for measuring performance.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And unlike a gasoline engine powered car, I bet you won't be getting 200,000 miles out of a battery either.

Plus I'm sure over the life of the battery, the range per charge will NOTICEABLY decrease as the charge/discharge cycles pile up too.

So basically, a battery powered car is a buy it, and throw it away car.
    And for a significant part of it's life will be relegated to local trips only, because the range of the battery has deteriorated.

Which brings me to the point I have nothing against propelling a car with an electric motor.

I just think the source of the electricity should come from some other technology than a battery that to make is very environmentally destructive, and at this point costs more to recycle than to build a new one.
    So we'll be stuck with mountains of dead batteries eventually.

At least a gasoline/diesel engine can be much more easily recycled by just melting it down and making something else with it.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And unlike a gasoline engine powered car, I bet you won't be getting 200,000 miles out of a battery either.

Plus I'm sure over the life of the battery, the range per charge will NOTICEABLY decrease as the charge/discharge cycles pile up too.

So basically, a battery powered car is a buy it, and throw it away car.
    And for a significant part of it's life will be relegated to local trips only, because the range of the battery has deteriorated.

Which brings me to the point I have nothing against propelling a car with an electric motor.

I just think the source of the electricity should come from some other technology than a battery that to make is very environmentally destructive, and at this point costs more to recycle than to build a new one.
    So we'll be stuck with mountains of dead batteries eventually.

At least a gasoline/diesel engine can be much more easily recycled by just melting it down and making something else with it.
    This was interesting, even if from idiots that confuse Tesla recycling as “free” to the consumer.

“So, how much does it cost to recycle a Tesla battery? Fortunately for the owner of the Tesla, getting the battery recycled does not cost you anything. Tesla will cover the entire cost of the process. It ends up costing Tesla around $7,000 to recycle an electric car battery though.”

This makes no sense? Is the car equivalent to the special containers need to ship the batteries or is this yet another contradiction that the batteries are safe in cars but treated like the hazardous material they are outside of the narrative?

Transporting lithium-ion batteries requires special containers to hold the extremely heavy batteries. As such, it is often more cost-effective to just ship an entire car across the country than it is to ship just the battery.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe they can stack up the dead batteries next to the dead windmills and then cover them all with old solar panels.

View attachment 221026

View attachment 221027
    Maybe we can put the EV batteries on the bottom, the solar panels in the middle, and the blades on top then set it all on fire! Poof, gone! This is a very logical recycling operation. We are recycling batteries to ”fuel” recycling. We are recycling the panels to ”fuel” recycling. We are recycling the blades to recycle the batteries. What a great plan. It has to be great, the word recycling was used so many times it cannot be anything but just awesome!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This was interesting, even if from idiots that confuse Tesla recycling as “free” to the consumer.

“So, how much does it cost to recycle a Tesla battery? Fortunately for the owner of the Tesla, getting the battery recycled does not cost you anything. Tesla will cover the entire cost of the process. It ends up costing Tesla around $7,000 to recycle an electric car battery though.”

This makes no sense? Is the car equivalent to the special containers need to ship the batteries or is this yet another contradiction that the batteries are safe in cars but treated like the hazardous material they are outside of the narrative?

Transporting lithium-ion batteries requires special containers to hold the extremely heavy batteries. As such, it is often more cost-effective to just ship an entire car across the country than it is to ship just the battery.

I read somewhere recently that it costs more to recycle one of these batteries than it costs to manufacture a new one.
    So then if it can be recycled for $7,000, there must be a big markup on replacement batteries.

But either way, when I think this whole battery powered car thing through from the power grid to the dead battery, I see ZERO advantage over vehicles powered by gasoline/diesel, and a lot of drawbacks.
    Especially in implementing this scheme in real life.

garni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2018
    New Albany
    Interested in how the direction of this conversation goes... I find it difficult to discuss electric cars with some folks

I really, really want a Tesla. I think they are neat and the future. I don't care about the environment, I don't care about saving money.

Whenever I mention those 3 things up front, some immediately want to steer the conversation towards how they "don't help the environment as much as claimed" or "it costs more than they say" in a passionate attempt to dissuade me from wanting one.

Bring on the Cybertruck!
    I like the idea of going electric as well for financial purposes not so much going green. I keep getting the same sort of answers.

garni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2018
    New Albany
    I read somewhere recently that it costs more to recycle one of these batteries than it costs to manufacture a new one.
    So then if it can be recycled for $7,000, there must be a big markup on replacement batteries.

But either way, when I think this whole battery powered car thing through from the power grid to the dead battery, I see ZERO advantage over vehicles powered by gasoline/diesel, and a lot of drawbacks.
    Especially in implementing this scheme in real life.
    Have you checked the cost of gasoline or diesel lately?

Top Bottom