• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    MCgrease08 beat me to it but yeah let's take a look at California and at the current EV adoption rate they're already struggling to recharge them. How much worse does that problem become when adoption rates reach 50% or 75% or even just fleets not even personal vehicles? If they can't keep the lights on now and still charge electric vehicles, there's no hope for the future with the current electric grid. And at the same time, those geniuses are shutting down power plants not revving them up which leaves them begging neighboring states for power. Idiots!
    I worked for the Westinghouse division that did instrumentation in nuclear power plants. While locally we were finishing the Byron power plant, Westinghouse was also building two huge nuclear power plants in California. They had the capacity to relieve any shortages on the west coast for multiple decades. Of course the greenies demanded the construction stopped after hundreds of millions were spent. Now they have shortages of electricity.

The greenies also want coal plants shut down, even after millions are spent on costly electrostatic precipitator stack scrubbers. They have no education in physics and think that a couple photovoltic panels is all that is needed. Of course now that eagles are getting wacked by the windmills and other weather phenomena has been reported, they will soon hate them also.

The real tragedy is we have masses of population (who vote) that lack any ability to logically learn, and discern the issues and test the application of known physics for solutions. Someone programmed at least two generations to trigger only emotionally and refuse to consider any factual evidence. Physical reality is just not something they will consider.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I actually have an EV, a Ford Mach-E extended range premium. If you have any real-world questions, ask away.

I didn't buy it to save the planet (sorry). I purchased it because I thought the tech was neat, and the performance was really good. It is 100% a commuter vehicle for me, and it does that really well.

I plug in at home and rarely use DC (fast) charging. I get 315 miles of range consistently. It costs me about $1.00 for electricity for 31 miles of real range, driving like I normally would. No hypermiling or taking it easy. Taking off like a rocket when I need to merge and going with traffic at 70 mph on my commute.

Something interesting to note is that they have more range in an urban setting than on the highway. Regenerative braking does work, and if the motors are not turning (stopped), it uses very little energy. Heat in an EV can use a lot of energy, though.

I want to have a choice too, so I appreciate what is being said.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I cannot believe the government has not already instituted a way to charge you $1 of road tax for every 31 miles similar to what a petro car would be paying. . It sounds like you really enjoy it. Over 300 ft. lb torque is pretty useful in everyday driving.

Like you said. you bought it because you wanted it and it is working for that purpose. That is cool.

I'll bet pushing against wind resistance is a big factor in highway range also.

Last edited:

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I'm sure they will tax EVs differently at some point. With tax at $.20/gal in Texas, it is still a good deal for me.

Reactions: Leo

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I actually have an EV, a Ford Mach-E extended range premium. If you have any real-world questions, ask away.

I didn't buy it to save the planet (sorry). I purchased it because I thought the tech was neat, and the performance was really good. It is 100% a commuter vehicle for me, and it does that really well.

I plug in at home and rarely use DC (fast) charging. I get 315 miles of range consistently. It costs me about $1.00 for electricity for 31 miles of real range, driving like I normally would. No hypermiling or taking it easy. Taking off like a rocket when I need to merge and going with traffic at 70 mph on my commute.

Something interesting to note is that they have more range in an urban setting than on the highway. Regenerative braking does work, and if the motors are not turning (stopped), it uses very little energy. Heat in an EV can use a lot of energy, though.

This is the way it should be, you have it because you want it, not because it was forced on you!

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Surprised the article didn’t include cost of replacement after spontaneous combustion; as he lazily references the other false narratives debunked 10 years ago. At least experience an EV before digging thru the internet for neg rep.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

If you use all or most of your range up, how long does it take to get an 80% charge? 100% charge? What is the advertised range for your car?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Surprised the article didn’t include cost of replacement after spontaneous combustion; as he lazily references the other false narratives debunked 10 years ago. At least experience an EV before digging thru the internet for neg rep.

No thanks. You experience one if you want to, I'll continue on with my gas guzzler... ;)

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I worked in a foundry in Illinois for a few years in 1990"s that had electric ovens. They were big and conveyors all over the plant so it used a butt load of electricity. Every now and then the plant would shut down all the foundry operations, the offices would still run. They had a deal with the power company that they would do this if power supply was getting too low in comparison to demand. This would happen in the summer when everybody was running air conditioners full blast. Turned out by agreeing to this they got a lower rate on electric.
    I also worked at a Hyster plant in Danville Illinois in the 1970"s and 80"s and around 1980 they brought in a new to us operation. They were forging the lifting forks and that also used a lot of electricity. That operation only ran on third shift because they got a better rate that way. Jim.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I did not want to start a new thread, thought I would drop it here.

VW is bringing back a EV Scout. If they look like a 1978 Scout SSII I am on board. The Scouts and older woodgrain Wagoneers are my favorite SUV's.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

VW is bringing back a EV Scout. If they look like a 1978 Scout SSII I am on board. The Scouts and older woodgrain Wagoneers are my favorite SUV's.

How can a German car company “resurrect” a utility vehicle from an American tractor company? This is sacrilegious…. LOL

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene

A Scout was my favorite also. Had 1966 Scout, 1977 Scout, 1976 Scout Traveler and a 4X2 1975 Travelall. Seemed like they could only be hurt by rust. Jim.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    A Scout was my favorite also. Had 1966 Scout, 1977 Scout, 1976 Scout Traveler and a 4X2 1975 Travelall. Seemed like they could only be hurt by rust. Jim.

My father-in-law worked for IH for 40 years here in town. Even throughout the 90's the driveway was full of Scouts and Travelalls.

The wifes first car was a 1972 Travelall, red with woodgrain. Not really a 16 year old girls car.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    If you use all or most of your range up, how long does it take to get an 80% charge? 100% charge? What is the advertised range for your car?
    My advertised range is 302, I believe. I'm exceeding that most of the time, but cold weather does hurt range.

Ford (and the others) use a calculation to determine the estimated range. It isn't that dissimilar to a gas vehicle, and sometimes they are inaccurate. I'm not a Tesla hater... I have friends on their second Model S, but Tesla seems to be very optimistic with their estimated range vs. real life. If I drive it long distances, the built-in Nav will not let me run out of charge. It will route me to a charger before that happens. Maybe not the path I want to take, though.

At a DC fast charger (think Tesla Supercharger), I can charge to 80% in about 35-40 minutes. 80%-100%, and the charge curve changes, and it slows down. Ford (other probably, too) built a buffer into the battery so it doesn't over/under charge for battery life, by the way. I can't see me taking it from Texas back to Indiana.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    For you performance guys... even though you don't want one, go test drive a Mach-E or Tesla sometime. You'll like the torque and acceleration.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    When I step on the gas though I really want to feel the torque and hear the thunder. A whirring noise just would not be the same. View attachment 199797

Can you imagine what it will be like when they start using electric cars at the 500 after they get batteries that will last that long? Sit and watch a bunch of silent cars go by? I don't see that going over very well.

Top Bottom