• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I am proudly anti-EV! There I sad it. **** this being pushed down our throats…

I'm with you, zero desire to own an electric car. There is nothing wrong with fossil fuels and anyone saying there is has an agenda and is full of :poop: .

On top of that, the CEO of Rivian, a Government darling EV company, said:

“Put very simply, all the world’s cell production combined represents well under 10% of what we will need in 10 years,” Scaringe told reporters, according to the WSJ. “Meaning, 90% to 95% of the supply chain does not exist."

Linkage

Yep, no thanks. Not only is the push for this crap a huge scam, but it'll cause great problems if there is a huge move to electric cars, since the supply chain is so tenuous. Tell me again "President" Bidet how we all have to go to electric cars? :rolleyes:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    A lot of people buy an EV to save the environment as well as money, a noble motivation…

No mention in the article of the environmentally destructive mining of materials for all these batteries or which s…hole state will be used as the waste dump for all the dead batteries and cars. I thought s…hole New Jersey dumps were already full with two centuries of NYC waste.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder how much copper is in one of those charging units, if it's the same as a large AC unit, they will never last in the big cities.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No mention in the article of the environmentally destructive mining of materials for all these batteries or which s…hole state will be used as the waste dump for all the dead batteries and cars. I thought s…hole New Jersey dumps were already full with two centuries of NYC waste.
    ...because the OP article is about the cost to the individual owner.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...because the OP article is about the cost to the individual owner.
    But it does mention the noble motivation. And if some of those hidden cost are not paid by the driver of the EV then they will likely fall on those of us lucky enough to actually be taxpayers.

A lot of people buy an EV to save the environment as well as money, a noble motivation

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    But it does mention the noble motivation. And if some of those hidden cost are not paid by the driver of the EV then they will likely fall on those of us lucky enough to actually be taxpayers.

Agreed. If you're going to talk about costs and you bring up something as ludicrous as having a noble motivation for moving to an EV, discussing lifetime/hidden costs are absolutely fair game. Especially when most purchasers of EVs are doing so because they have been mislead to believing they're better for the environment.

Reactions: Leo

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Americans love their cars.....FACT.
    Americans love to drive to destinations.....FACT
    America is a BIG country.....FACT

I still say the only way EV's will become standard here is if all the EV auto companies come together and decide on ONE single battery system standardized across all models and platforms.

This way you can pull into a "gas" station and get the battery swapped out like a cordless drill and be back on the road.

Pull in...go get a drink and some chips while the fork truck pulls the battery out your ass and shoves in a new one....back on the road.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Americans love their cars.....FACT.
    Americans love to drive to destinations.....FACT
    America is a BIG country.....FACT

I still say the only way EV's will become standard here is if all the EV auto companies come together and decide on ONE single battery system standardized across all models and platforms.

This way you can pull into a "gas" station and get the battery swapped out like a cordless drill and be back on the road.

Pull in...go get a drink and some chips while the fork truck pulls the battery out your ass and shoves in a new one....back on the road.
    What, an actual service station. Those are no longer a thing man. Gas bread milk and a big gulp for the over weight Americans and brother there are a crap load of slurpy/big gulp sucking chubbies out there.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You want an electric car, buy one.....You want a hybrid car, buy one......You want a diesel car, buy one.....Gasoline, buy one.... It is America. Just don't stuff your hand in my pocket to get tax subsidy for your project, however you may feel about it.

Look at the acres of windmills that cannot, even by the designers estimated life projections, generate enough power to pay for themselves. I don't want everything in the parking lot to be costing me money also.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What, an actual service station. Those are no longer a thing man. Gas bread milk and a big gulp for the over weight Americans and brother there are a crap load of slurpy/big gulp sucking chubbies out there.
    Yep, I have read that a gas station makes $.07 per gallon so they make $1.40 for twenty gallons. A $2 Big Gulp costs twelve cents for coke, nine cents for the cup, lid, and straw, a $1.71 profit. Just imagine the profits on cigarettes, candy, and now most serve fast food…

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yep, I have read that a gas station makes $.07 per gallon so they make $1.40 for twenty gallons. A $2 Big Gulp costs twelve cents for coke, nine cents for the cup, lid, and straw, a $1.71 profit. Just imagine the profits on cigarettes, candy, and now most serve fast food…
    My late father was an independent distributor in the oil business from the mid 1930's up to 1991.

It's true that the profit margin at the pump is small.
    There was more money in servicing and doing repairs of customer's vehicles.

And with today's almost extinction of service stations being replaced by convenience stores with gas pumps out front, the "formula" is very similar in that the profit margin at the pump is small, and the #1 object is to get customers to come inside the store and buy something.

That said, what I HATE is how some of them will obviously intentionally let the receipt paper at the pump run out and give you the "See Attendant" message in a lame attempt to get the customer to come inside the store.
    KNOWING that a percentage of them will buy an impulse item as they wait for their receipt.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That said, what I HATE is how some of them will obviously intentionally let the receipt paper at the pump run out and give you the "See Attendant" message in a lame attempt to get the customer to come inside the store.
    KNOWING that a percentage of them will buy an impulse item as they wait for their receipt.
    I no longer care about a receipt. In all the years I collected them I NEVER used them for anything. If you want a record, take a picture of the pump…

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am still amazed at how many people regurgitate the non sense that EV's have no maintenance costs. Every single part of the chassis chassis, body and interior is like any other car on the road.

The idea that the electric motor, all the electronic controllers, monitors and the whole charging system has eternal life is not realistic. There are shops all over the country that repair the controllers and chargers for industry. That leaves the electric motor itself. It is a pretty small town that does not have an electric motor repair shop.

I hope people buy them because they want one. Selling a delusion to justify it is silly.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I no longer care about a receipt. In all the years I collected them I NEVER used them for anything. If you want a record, take a picture of the pump…
    Same here.
    I stopped asking for one at the pump several years back myself.

The only reason to get one would be in the case you buy some bad gas and need it as proof you bought it there.
    Which hopefully is a very rare occurrence.

Top Bottom