• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When was the last time the cost of electricity fluctuated down?

What will the price be when more folks adopt EV's?

Will there be competition for business that drives down pricing, like for example evil gasoline?

The grid will only support a couple of these on each typical city or suburb street…

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I personally have nothing against pure electric vehicles, just don't shove them down my throat. Choices, options are the American way.

I am your typical retired old man who just drives to Church on Sundays, ok and Thursdays to support another group as I run the sound system. It is a whopping 7 miles each way and the now and then 4 mile round trip to the grocery store.

While an EV would be a logical choice, I prefer to drive a gasoline powered Jaguar F-Type as much as possible. Sure most EVs are faster 0-60 until the battery gets low, or old, and yes I have to change the oil now and then, there is not an EV made that can match the sound generated by The Cat.

What I would like to see is Commiefornia get it's wishes and every member of that state goes 100% EV. When they plug in after work, the lights in the state will dim if not go out completely as the grid crashes.

The cost of ownership can be tailored to prove virtually anything, as can any set of "facts". Give us the choice, don't force it on us.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    towards use of an EV truck…but only if you’re going to pull that load within its charge range. For me, this is the achilles heel of EV—range and recharge time.

If you’re the kind that will drive nearly always in town or very short commutes where you will have ample down time for recharging, an EV may well suit you.

After hearing the propaganda for the greenies, I was beginning to think that EV cars sounded pretty good, once you got past the high cost of purchase.

However, after reading the specs of some of them, and reading reviews written by people who had lived with them for a few weeks, I realized that the range was far less than I was led to believe, and the charge time was FAR longer than people wanted me to believe. That makes it useless to me.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    After hearing the propaganda for the greenies, I was beginning to think that EV cars sounded pretty good, once you got past the high cost of purchase.

However, after reading the specs of some of them, and reading reviews written by people who had lived with them for a few weeks, I realized that the range was far less than I was led to believe, and the charge time was FAR longer than people wanted me to believe. That makes it useless to me.
    I predict that when first time EV buyer "regular Joe's" begin to buy them, 50% will get rid of them and trade back to ICE in the first year of ownership the first time they are out of juice and stranded and can't carry a can of electricity to the side of the road.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

What I would like to see is Commiefornia get it's wishes and every member of that state goes 100% EV. When they plug in after work, the lights in the state will dim if not go out completely as the grid crashes.

Residents already deal with blackouts and brownouts.
    And yet do nothing.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My previous post gave me an investment idea.

What if I bought a fleet of portable tow-able diesel generators to service people who couldn't make it to the next charging station?
    Build a phone app that marks your location and we come out and give a bump charge, enough to get to the nearest charger.
    For a hefty fee of course.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

What if I bought a fleet of portable tow-able diesel generators to service people who couldn't make it to the next charging station?
    Build a phone app that marks your location and we come out and give a bump charge, enough to get to the nearest charger.
    Where there is a need, there is an opportunity.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

It will have to happen,you might as well do it…

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Someone has to maintain them. This adds costs. Who pays.
    Well, according to the video posted above comparing costs, they're charging $.35/kwh + $.20/minute to charge after 35 minutes. So the customer is paying.

That seems like enough to make profit plus maintenance costs. If it's not enough to maintain the equipment then the price must necessarily go up and then most of the "EV cost advantages" over ICE disappear.

They're just being "cheap" to get the most profit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, according to the video posted above comparing costs, they're charging $.35/kwh + $.20/minute to charge after 35 minutes. So the customer is paying.

That seems like enough to make profit plus maintenance costs. If it's not enough to maintain the equipment then the price must necessarily go up and then most of the "EV cost advantages" over ICE disappear.

They're just being "cheap" to get the most profit.
    Bingo.

Top Bottom