• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    HollidaySlim: Props for using Windows 8! I am really liking it myself.

I wish I had seen this earlier. I will get some reviews up here soon. Currently sipping on a Stella. If anyone is ever curious about a Schlafly product, IM me as I think I have tried pretty much their entire line.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I love Stone IPA and yes Ruination takes the cake but it is in essence a double and if your not a hop monster then it can be a bit overpowering. I had a Stone 16 Year Anniversary IPA tonight, unbelievable. Probably the best IPA I have ever had. Just the right balance of everything and almost didn't seem IPA hoppy. It was almost creamy and just so smooth. It's limited production and locally I have only found it in bombers, maybe I'll pull a CA trip and see if I can find a 6, 12 or case to bring home.

Stone is hands down the best brewer out there. IMHO. The 16th anniversary is excellent. Has a lemony finish. Mmmmmmm and most of their stuff is only available in bombers.

My personal favorite is their Oaked arrogant bastard. It's an oak aged ale and oh so good. Extremely full and rich flavored with hints of oak, and Carmel. It is a 7.2% beer and only sold I sixers and runs about $17.99.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Newcastle Werewolf

This is Newcastle's fall beer. They call it Blood Red Ale. Notice the Werewolf on the label, the label also looks furry.

29mm610.jpg

(pardon the freezer shot, the 12 pack had just been brought home, and I really wanted to try it.)

ABV: 4.5%
    Appearance: Pours a brownish red, not light but not very dark either, with a nice creamy head.

Smell: Has some hints of a fruitiness to it although fruit isn't mentioned. It smells alot like those all fruit "healthier" fruit roll up things.

Taste: Starts with a pretty malty almost nutty kick, then smooths out to finish with a darker beer finish.

It's a real interesting beer because of the distinct switch in taste, and the fruity smell despite the lack of fruit. They say they used mostly malts with a caramel note. I didn't really get the caramel though.

Overall I really liked it. I'm fairly new to drinking so I'm not the greatest judge, but i liked it and could pick out a few different things. It's very drinkable and quite inexpensive.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Newcastle Werewolf

It's a real interesting beer because of the distinct switch in taste, and the fruity smell despite the lack of fruit. They say they used mostly malts with a caramel note. I didn't really get the caramel though.

English yeast produce estery aromas like peach, pear, apple, etc. and caramel malts, the darker ones, will produce an aroma of dark cherries, prunes, raisins, etc. instead of a caramel flavor. :cool:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    English yeast produce estery aromas like peach, pear, apple, etc. and caramel malts, the darker ones, will produce an aroma of dark cherries, prunes, raisins, etc. instead of a caramel flavor. :cool:

Like I said I'm new to the drinking thing and only begun to start trying different beers. Good info to know though since I'm starting to try homebrewing as well. :yesway::yesway:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    HornyCopia Pumpkin Ale

From Horny Goat Brewing Co. out of Wisconsin

2jb8hlj.jpg

Bought at Santori's in Lansing, IL.

Appearence: Pours a light orange a little darker than Blue Moon. Full creamy head.

Smell: Pretty similar to Blue Moon, slightly orangey with a good aroma of pumpkin spice

Taste: Finishes like a pumpkin roll, very light and distinctly pumpkin.

Mouth feel: Full carbonation, very even, not over carbonated though. Finishes smooth after the initial bite.

I'm not super wild about the seasonal flavored beers, but this one is actually quite good if your a pumpkin fan. You can definately taste the pumpkin spice. As said it really tastes like a pumpkin roll or cupcake. Very drinkable and smooth.

Sully1300

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Franklin
    Not Bad at All

I can't believe this is my 2nd post on a gun forum after my introduction post but besides all the firearm candy, this topic caught my eye. Needless to say, my Irish heritage has me at the tap quite often in search for a good pint.

I like a good Newcastle, especially an ice cold draft, but just last week I had a good IPA that I wasn't aware Newcastle even came out with (and on draft, no less, at Louie's in Greenwood). Their Winter IPA is mighty tasty:
    Winter%20IPA.jpg

Another good one I had not too long ago at Shallo's in Greenwood was from Bells - their Hell Hath No Fury Ale. Bottle only, though - still pretty good:
    Hell%20Hath%20No%20Fury%20Ale.jpg

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Guinness Black Lager
    Guinness, St. James Gate, Dublin
    4.5% ABV

650uvs.jpg

Appearance: Thick, chocolate head, oil-black body. Looks just like a Stout with a typical Guinness head. The anemic 11.5 ounce bottle left me feeling shortchanged, especially when poured into my giant INGO stein mug.

Smell: Chocolate malt, with a hint of toffee.

Taste: The taste is very similar to a standard lager, with a hint of Guinness Stout bitterness mixed in. Starts out very mild and then the roasted barley kicks in nicely. Does very well ice-cold where a regular Guinness likes to be a little warmer.

Mouthfeel: It's got the lightness of a lager without the thick, chewiness of a stout. Smooth and slightly creamy.

Overall: I know that this is not a craft beer in the sense for whiche I started this thread, but I've always been a fan of Guinness Extra Stout and I wanted to give this one a try. It's marketed as a "Black Lager" of the American style, but it's really more of a German schwarzbier. The slight sourness of a Guinness Stout is evident in this lager, with the plain easy drinkability of your standard lager. Where you might be tired of a Stout after just one or two, you could probably drink the Black Lagers all evening. That said, it's only fair-to-middling in the schwarzbier field. It's not the best I've had, but it's not the worst, either. I'll enjoy drinking the remaining bottles, but then I'll probably move on to something else.

I get the feeling that Guinness created this to market to people who just couldn't drink the oily chewiness of a traditional Guinness Stout. In that respect, I feel that they'll probably find a small niche audience. Unfortunately, savvy drinkers will look for something more palatable, while traditional lager drinkers will probably stick with their national-brand favorites. I give this one a solid C. Try it if it's there, don't go out of your way to seek it out.

i want a INGO beer mug

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dragon's Milk- New Holland Brewing Company

Part of their High Gravity series.

Reminds me of Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale (look and smell), with a little more alcohol afterflavor.

Smooth mouthfeel.

Oaken barrel aged, can taste a bit of it, not overpoweringly woody (much less woody than Gnawbone or Double Crooked Tree)

Alc 10%

Comes in a 4 pack. Cuz didn't like his. Have 2 left.........make that 1. None in an hr.
    Web photo
    dragons-milk.jpg

http://newhollandbrew.com/beer/high-gravity-series/dragons-milk-ale-aged-in-oak-barrels/

Have 5 Dirty Bastards by Founders, 8.5%. If I kill a deer I'll celebrate with those tomorrow.

Last edited:

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Dragon's Milk- New Holland Brewing Company

Part of their High Gravity series.

Reminds me of Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale (look and smell), with a little more alcohol afterflavor.

Smooth mouthfeel.

Oaken barrel aged, can taste a bit of it, not overpoweringly woody (much less woody than Gnawbone or Double Crooked Tree)

Alc 10%

Comes in a 4 pack. Cuz didn't like his. Have 2 left.........make that 1. None in an hr.
    Web photo
    dragons-milk.jpg

http://newhollandbrew.com/beer/high-gravity-series/dragons-milk-ale-aged-in-oak-barrels/

Have 5 Dirty Bastards by Founders, 8.5%. If I kill a deer I'll celebrate with those tomorrow.

Any idea where this is available in the Indy area? I've only found it up north.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    I've got a bottle of Utopias from last year, I overpaid for it on an impulse buy. Its much more of a novelty than an excellent beer. On the other hand I picked up a couple bottles of Alpha Klaus from Three Floyd's... one of the best beers they make beside Zombie Dust IMHO.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    They might make good beer, but I just can't bring myself to give them any money. That's the beer of Pat's fans and I just won't buy it.

This is nearly the most ridiculous reason not to drink decent beer I've ever heard. It takes second place to "God doesn't approve of drinking."

MarineOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Seems only appropriate that my 50th official post would reside here in this thread.....

Upon my return home from Afghanistan I started brewing my own beer. In the last year I've only had the time for 4 different batches. Nothing spectacular or noteworthy, but I had a blast doing so. I highly encourage all of the true beer snobs out there to start brewing your own!

Top Bottom