• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have no issues with the guy. Try growing up around a pack of serious “A” males over achiever racers. Great folks mostly but Ego”
    ‘a beyond measure.
    the Artistic craters among them are another level entirely. This one would fit in and be put in his niche.

A lot of people don't like him because he destroys things to troll people. I understand their frustration, but they're his things. He's gotten rich from tearing nice (or sometimes just seemingly nice) trucks to shreds, but that's his business and they're just things. I think I've mentioned around here before that I cherish "stuff" a bit too much, so, I can appreciate the other side a little more sometimes.

As far as his personality, I believe him when he says he's playing a character of himself. If the version he selected is the kinda egotistical side, well... that was his choice I suppose.

Is there that much money in YouTube videos or is he a lotto winner trying to spend his millions?

Yes.

1630278802649.png

Socialblade doesn't claim to be 100% accurate, but from what I can see you can at least count on the mid-ground. Plus there is merchandise, product sponsorships, other advertising, other platforms (Instagram, Facebook, etc), etc.

If you're doing it right, your YouTube earnings should be about 1/4-1/3 of your total revenue. So, that guy is probably making over $1 million/year to play with trucks.

---

You can dig deeper into the earnings calculators and all of that stuff, but from my own (limited) experience I'm pretty surprised how little it takes to get something meaningful back. A channel of 10-20k subs (call it 200k views a month), if ran well, would pretty easily pay the mortgage on a modest Indiana home. It's putting your faith in YouTube being there forever that takes balls. That's why you see most guys like that are under 30. Not much to lose.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Destroying things just for views is ignorant. I understand the economics of it but it's still ignorant hence I don't partake. More power to him for finding a way to make money doing stupid ****. I'm guessing the Jackass people may have been one of the first to pioneer this.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Destroying things just for views is ignorant. I understand the economics of it but it's still ignorant hence I don't partake. More power to him for finding a way to make money doing stupid ****. I'm guessing the Jackass people may have been one of the first to pioneer this.

According to him, that's not why he does it. He does it because people troll him into it by making all sorts of accusations and assumptions about him, as well as sending him death threats and stalking his family.

He's actually had a few trucks that the audience liked so much, and were nice about, that he pretty much just drove them for a bit and sold them on. Then he went out and bought a truck he knew everyone would hate (a Carolina squatted truck) and destroyed it instead. :)

Anyhow... I get it, and I'm not mega fan #1 of the guy, but it's not as bad as it seems at first glance. It took me a year or so to see the whole picture.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am of the same mindset.
    but you have to admit driving out into the ocean with no real way to propel or guide that beast took some balls.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I am of the same mindset.
    but you have to admit driving out into the ocean with no real way to propel or guide that beast took some balls.

...and he set the cruise control and walked around on top of the cab while it was doing it. :laugh:

That truck wasn't destroyed in the process and lived on for another day. He sold it.

That's sorta part of his "thing". He can make whatever videos people want him to make. If people are jerks to him, he'll be a jerk right back to them and troll the audience. It doesn't matter to him which videos they are as they all make money.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Apparently you can make enough to buy your own private race track. So yeah. A lot of their money is in merchandising and sponsorships, not just ad revenue from the videos.

Adam LZ bought a "town". JR Go bought a fairly large warehouse/campus. WD bought more than a mile of contiguous land and then just bought a ton more. Hoovie has gone from K cars to probably over $1 mil in Lambos and even his mechanic has a compound now.

Lots of these guys are making big moves from social media cash and started with not much of anything. Cleeter is the guy leading the charge for sure, but it's crazy how much money there is in this stuff. Watching what these guys are doing, and the moves along the way, is pretty inspiring if you're able to observe the entire picture.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Let's see if I can post one less controversial...

Who doesn't like a turbo 6.0 '70s Winnebago? :lmfao:

OOPs... Some random potty words here and there. BE WARNED!

For me, the build on this thing (same channel, probably 1-2 years ago) is a little more interesting than this video, but the fact that they've got this behemoth out there cruising the power tour is a victory unto itself. If I remember right, came with a 440, locked up brakes, full of mold, rotten tires, the who shebang of 50 year old RV disaster. Also, if I remember, the 6.0 and 4L80E actually ended up retaining the stock Winne driveshaft. Who would have ever imagined? :laugh:

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    According to him, that's not why he does it. He does it because people troll him into it by making all sorts of accusations and assumptions about him, as well as sending him death threats and stalking his family.

He's actually had a few trucks that the audience liked so much, and were nice about, that he pretty much just drove them for a bit and sold them on. Then he went out and bought a truck he knew everyone would hate (a Carolina squatted truck) and destroyed it instead. :)

Anyhow... I get it, and I'm not mega fan #1 of the guy, but it's not as bad as it seems at first glance. It took me a year or so to see the whole picture.

There really should be an effort to track these people down and charge them. That would put an end to a LOT of this "social media" crap.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    OK so, I didn't watch his first probably 6 months of videos for this exact reason. But then he started doing random, yet very creative ****. Like making wheels out of tillers, and building literal 20ft tall wheels out of wood. There's actually a lot of stuff that he does that, in some cases is destructive to the vehicle there, but heck at least he's trying something. Even when he destroyed the Toyota Hilux, he did it in some SERIOUS fashion. He made that truck take more abuse than I thought was physically possible. It was I think a 3 part video "series" that he did and if you haven't seen it, go check it out. The limits of that truck were extremely impressive.

I will say, I like Monster Max 1 more than 2... 2 is extremely impressive, but it doesn't have good proportions, IMO.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Does anyone have an aluminum welder I could come by and use for a day or something? I tore the crap out of my intercooler by backing into it with the trailer (up a hill, in the middle of the night, no lights, can't hear a thing or feel anything) and I would really rather fix it than buy another one.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Listening to a podcast tonight. The Dodge Omni was brought up. The GLH model stood for "Goes Like Hell.". The Shelby model was labeled the GLH-S which Carol Shelby said stood for "Goes Like Hell Smore"!

From Wiki.....

The 1986 Shelby Omni GLH-S was a modified Dodge Omni GLH, with changes made at the Shelby factory. They were retitled as Shelby Automobiles cars sold at select Dodge dealerships. GLH stood for "Goes Like Hell" and GLH-S stood for Goes Like Hell S'more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I
    Listening to a podcast tonight. The Dodge Omni was brought up. The GLH model stood for "Goes Like Hell.". The Shelby model was labeled the GLH-S which Carol Shelby said stood for "Goes Like Hell Smore"!

From Wiki.....
    remember this car. They were rockets.
    but in the end still just a dodge Omni.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

From Wiki.....
    When I first moved to Indy I bought and non-GLH(S) turbo Omni as a commuter. It served it's purpose quite well but I ran across an Xr4ti and blindly worked the deal. On the afternoon of closing while waiting for the Xr4 to show up I threw a timing light on the Omni and found the timing horribly off the mark so I reset it and took it out for a quick spin. That little 2.2 really came to life thru the simple act of setting the timing correctly. Oddly enough that is one of the cars on my "wish I'd never gotten rid of it" list.

Comparing the Xr and the Omni in stock form I'd go after that 2.2 turbo package over the Ford. SO much more fun in stock form but it's difficult for me to consider a high performance front driver.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I first moved to Indy I bought and non-GLH(S) turbo Omni as a commuter. It served it's purpose quite well but I ran across an Xr4ti and blindly worked the deal. On the afternoon of closing while waiting for the Xr4 to show up I threw a timing light on the Omni and found the timing horribly off the mark so I reset it and took it out for a quick spin. That little 2.2 really came to life thru the simple act of setting the timing correctly. Oddly enough that is one of the cars on my "wish I'd never gotten rid of it" list.

Comparing the Xr and the Omni in stock form I'd go after that 2.2 turbo package over the Ford. SO much more fun in stock form but it's difficult for me to consider a high performance front driver.
    Our caddy is a front steer and has the exact same tendency as that GLS. Even if you are ready it will try and change lanes to the left on a full throttle romp from a light. I don’t like that in the least

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side

I started autocrossing in the 90’s and got into track racing (BHF, Joliet Autobahn, etc) soon thereafter. I’m no pro test driver but I’ve driven my fair share of cars in that environment and I can’t say I’ve ever understood all the anti FWD sentiment. One of my favorite track racers was a modded ‘08 Mazdaspeed3, over 300hp through the front tires. I did much more than just hold my own in the Audi/BMW club I ran with most of the time. Every format has its own dynamics, as well as positives and negatives, and there are even more idiosyncrasies by make and model. I’ve of course had RWDs and AWDs too, but I would just adapt.
    ¯\_( ツ)_/¯ I’m not racing at some pro level where the equipment is the limiting factor; as the saying goes, the most important part in the car is the nut behind the wheel. I always got a kick out of the guys who show up at my level with a fire suit, racing shoes, and other $$$ equipment, of course in an S4 (or M3, more often) and scoff at my little japanese appliance until they ended up watching my taillights disappear into the distance.

I learned the value of “run what ya brung” as a little kid going to the strip with my uncle.

Top Bottom