• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    If you have a few minutes... here's a good story for you. Ok, the long version. Flashback to the south side of Chicago (yeah, yeah, the baddest part of town), 1958, and two 16 year old Polish kids from The Bush scrape up enough money together to buy an engineless '40 Ford coupe, their favorite body style. In fact, they were in a club called "40's Forever" - a car club of old school gearheads who built real hotrods, with the requirement that the bodies of their cars couldn't be modded, only the drivetrains. If you're one of those rare folks whose familiarity with the city extends outside of Wrigleyville and the Loop, you probably know that the Bush has never been one of the wealthier 'hoods. Far from it. Mostly immigrant steelworkers back then, and not a whole lot of rich daddies buying cars for their kids. Somehow (and I'm not sure I want to know how) these kids got a hold of a 1957 DeSoto Fire Flite Eight hemi - a monster engine back then. I've read it was the first mass produced American engine to achieve 1 hp per cubic inch - 345 that is. They also got their hands on a '39 LaSalle "side shift" 3 speed trans, an early Chet Herbert roller race cam, and a couple of big Carter 4 bbl carbs, and managed to put all this together. For a while, they were the terror of Rainbow Beach, 83rd street, and wherever else they used to drag. They also took it down to US 30 dragstrip way back when. But by the time he was 18, my dad wanted to break out and go to college, and he sold his interest in the car to his buddy for tuition money, and they parted ways. Now fast forward to 1996, and the son has followed in his father's footsteps. I have a street truck that I built up for Mustang-hunting (see above), and I put it in a car show not too far from where my parents live, and invited them to come see. While wandering around at the show, my dad sees an example of his favorite: a '40 Ford Tudor and he strolls over to take a look. He was quite surprised to see that this gorgeous show car (supposedly a World of Wheels show champ) was sporting a Fire Flite eight.

His heart really started to race at that sight, so he got a look under the car and sure enough, it had the LaSalle side shifter. Barely able to contain himself, he asked the owner where he got the car, and he said it was from a widow who now lived on the East Side. He asked the name, and it turns out it was the woman who married the guy that was my dad's childhood buddy. Of course he wanted to buy the car, but the current owner said he'd never part with it. But they became friends and started hanging out at NWI car shows together. One day the new owner had a stroke and ended up in pretty bad shape. He eventually recovered but was in no condition to take care of his show cars and gave my dad a call. So now, in his spare garage, he's got a show ready, 1940 Ford Standard Tudor - the same car he built in 1958.

2011-06-18 11.24.03.jpg

DSC03905.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well that POS is back for a simple oil change. Easy right? Wrong!

4 hours to get the filter off. What the hell is wrong with people.some of it's Ford's fault for putting it in that stupid ass spot, but mostly it's some idiot who put it on last time. I swear they used loctite.
    View attachment 157651

Oh yeah, and this nice surprise. How the hell are you supposed to check your oil.

View attachment 157652
    You are charging according to efforts yes.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If you have a few minutes... here's a good story for you. Ok, the long version. Flashback to the south side of Chicago (yeah, yeah, the baddest part of town), 1958, and two 16 year old Polish kids from The Bush scrape up enough money together to buy an engineless '40 Ford coupe, their favorite body style. In fact, they were in a club called "40's Forever" - a car club of old school gearheads who built real hotrods, with the requirement that the bodies of their cars couldn't be modded, only the drivetrains. If you're one of those rare folks whose familiarity with the city extends outside of Wrigleyville and the Loop, you probably know that the Bush has never been one of the wealthier 'hoods. Far from it. Mostly immigrant steelworkers back then, and not a whole lot of rich daddies buying cars for their kids. Somehow (and I'm not sure I want to know how) these kids got a hold of a 1957 DeSoto Fire Flite Eight hemi - a monster engine back then. I've read it was the first mass produced American engine to achieve 1 hp per cubic inch - 345 that is. They also got their hands on a '39 LaSalle "side shift" 3 speed trans, an early Chet Herbert roller race cam, and a couple of big Carter 4 bbl carbs, and managed to put all this together. For a while, they were the terror of Rainbow Beach, 83rd street, and wherever else they used to drag. They also took it down to US 30 dragstrip way back when. But by the time he was 18, my dad wanted to break out and go to college, and he sold his interest in the car to his buddy for tuition money, and they parted ways. Now fast forward to 1996, and the son has followed in his father's footsteps. I have a street truck that I built up for Mustang-hunting (see above), and I put it in a car show not too far from where my parents live, and invited them to come see. While wandering around at the show, my dad sees an example of his favorite: a '40 Ford Tudor and he strolls over to take a look. He was quite surprised to see that this gorgeous show car (supposedly a World of Wheels show champ) was sporting a Fire Flite eight.

His heart really started to race at that sight, so he got a look under the car and sure enough, it had the LaSalle side shifter. Barely able to contain himself, he asked the owner where he got the car, and he said it was from a widow who now lived on the East Side. He asked the name, and it turns out it was the woman who married the guy that was my dad's childhood buddy. Of course he wanted to buy the car, but the current owner said he'd never part with it. But they became friends and started hanging out at NWI car shows together. One day the new owner had a stroke and ended up in pretty bad shape. He eventually recovered but was in no condition to take care of his show cars and gave my dad a call. So now, in his spare garage, he's got a show ready, 1940 Ford Standard Tudor - the same car he built in 1958.

View attachment 157681

View attachment 157682

View attachment 157684
    VERY cool story!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well that POS is back for a simple oil change. Easy right? Wrong!

4 hours to get the filter off. What the hell is wrong with people.some of it's Ford's fault for putting it in that stupid ass spot, but mostly it's some idiot who put it on last time. I swear they used loctite.
    View attachment 157651

Oh yeah, and this nice surprise. How the hell are you supposed to check your oil.

View attachment 157652
    Dude, don't you know that once the filter o-ring touches the block you tighten the filter down until it can't be hand tightened then you turn it one more turn with the wrench?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

View attachment 157681

View attachment 157682

View attachment 157684
    LMG that’s amazing. What a way to re-United and then own a car like that.
    I have often wondered where some of our cars ended up over the course of time.
    there were several of note. A few fell on hard times and sat way to long. A few met untimely ends at the lack of skills behind the wheel. But no fell good endings like this.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    LMG that’s amazing. What a way to re-United and then own a car like that.
    I have often wondered where some of our cars ended up over the course of time.
    there were several of note. A few fell on hard times and sat way to long. A few met untimely ends at the lack of skills behind the wheel. But no fell good endings like this.
    Yeah he also calls it "your inheritance."

I'm ok with that! I've already pulled the doghouse and the motor to get at the clutch for a throwout bearing job. Relatively easy compared to today's cars for sure.

2011-04-30 15.43.41.jpg

Hopefully I'll get to keep it for my son.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah he also calls it "your inheritance."

I'm ok with that! I've already pulled the doghouse and the motor to get at the clutch for a throwout bearing job. Relatively easy compared to today's cars for sure.

View attachment 157695

Hopefully I'll get to keep it for my son.
    All smiles here.
    in the day I bought a 1964 Dodge Polara from a friend in need. It had a 318 4 barrel 4 speed in it and the engine was seized.
    I have never seen anoth318 with anything but a duece on it. Wrecks inc to the rescue with a 383 from a wrecked Road Runner bell housing to fan blade. Nearly a drop in.
    while it was being prepped racer brown solid cam, adjustable rockers, springs were swapped in and a clowes chain.
    a man edelbrock single plane (I am a glutton for punishment) and a mechanical secondary 750 Holley were selected. An Accel dial point of course. A friend had a shop with a distributor machine so that was a no brainer. A Hays clutch/disk combo and hooker fender well heAders. 4.30’s out back.
    not the fastest street runner I have had but it was enough for the crowd I ran with at the time.
    in the heat of battle my buddy’s bad ass L-79 beat me 3 in a row. A 327 66 deuce. Kicked my ass.
    about a week later I was still smarting from that schelacking (Sp) when a friend told me of a pot of gold under a little known rainbow.
    I made some calls and sold the 383 and brought home a by God for real 426 hemi fully dressed. Doing all the K frame mods and spending 2 months house payment on more parts that car was as serious a street beast as ever rolled west indy.
    the Chet Herbert cam reference this to my mind. We ordered and installed one of his roller offerings for this engine sized by him. Had the carbs done up to his spec.
    mother of God. 1 guy could beat me. A good friend with a for real LS-6 in a 68 Nova. Schmidt machine built the engine.
    I let that car get away from me when we were starting my HVAC business. It is lost in time now.
    memorys. Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Very cool story! Thanks for posting.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Great story CM!

Didn‘t you have a LS6 as well? I recall you bought a 442 new that nobody wanted 71-72?

Hey Brad, you would probably know better than most. How would my 500-ish whp ‘13 stack up against the latest offerings from Dodge? Obviously it’s not Hellcat fast but I would think it would keep up with their NA stuff pretty well.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    CP,
    Yeah based on your dyno sheet you are in between the 392 cars and a base Hellcat.

Depending on how well you can bang that 6 speed it would be close depending on driver.

My scat pack was brutal on the bottom end. My hellcat was unusable on stock tires.

Nitto 555rII are the best addition I would advise.

That jazz blue is worth 20 hp IMO.

BTW my wife out ran my GT 500 by a car length with her Super Stock.
    Its a beast in a straight line.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    CP,
    Yeah based on your dyno sheet you are in between the 392 cars and a base Hellcat.

Depending on how well you can bang that 6 speed it would be close depending on driver.

My scat pack was brutal on the bottom end. My hellcat was unusable on stock tires.

Nitto 555rII are the best addition I would advise.

That jazz blue is worth 20 hp IMO.

BTW my wife out ran my GT 500 by a car length with her Super Stock.
    Its a beast in a straight line.

Yeah that’s about what I figured

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So my sister is 17 years older than I am and in 1970 she had a great job in a typing pool. My dad had a $500 coupon for a new dodge.

She was driving a 1963 Falcon with no A/C so they decided to get a 1970 Demon with A/C and auto and V8.

The Dodge dealer had no Demons or Darts but they had a Challenger that had a woman had ordered and decided to buy a Cornet convertible instead.

Get this vinyl top A/C, P/S, power windows, cloth seats, disk brakes, 225 6 cylinder, 3 speed no console.

She traded it for a Vega in 1974.

My oldest brother landed a great job building bottle washing equipment in 1971. He wanted a plain 1971 Nova 350 4 speed.

My father took him to the Chevy dealership to co sign. Salesman stated I have a brand new 1969 Chevelle Malibu I can sell you.

The was a strange car loaded black with a white top, red interior 300hp 350 3 speed automatic.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    So my sister is 17 years older than I am and in 1970 she had a great job in a typing pool. My dad had a $500 coupon for a new dodge.

She was driving a 1963 Falcon with no A/C so they decided to get a 1970 Demon with A/C and auto and V8.

The Dodge dealer had no Demons or Darts but they had a Challenger that had a woman had ordered and decided to buy a Cornet convertible instead.

Get this vinyl top A/C, P/S, power windows, cloth seats, disk brakes, 225 6 cylinder, 3 speed no console.

She traded it for a Vega in 1974.

My oldest brother landed a great job building bottle washing equipment in 1971. He wanted a plain 1971 Nova 350 4 speed.

My father took him to the Chevy dealership to co sign. Salesman stated I have a brand new 1969 Chevelle Malibu I can sell you.

The was a strange car loaded black with a white top, red interior 300hp 350 3 speed automatic.
    Seems like half my family worked at Seip Chevrolet on 86th and Commercial at one time or another; I still remember being a kid and hanging out there when my parents didn't have a babysitter. Boy, were car dealers different back then! My uncle told me about the more memorable sights back in the muscle car heyday - all the kids in the neighborhood would come around and watch when they would unload the trucks full of Chevelles and Novas and Camaros, and watch the porters "oops" roast the tires pulling them into the lot. Oddly that was not a problem as it basically was just marketing. Good times!

EDIT: I still have a box full of the promotional model cars they used to make back then. I know I have a Vega (I think 1974) and a Monza and a 'Vette and some Oldsmobiles too. I even have a cardboard wall display of a 1975 Monte (also my first car) although it got trashed a bit: not for the 20+ years I had it in Chicago, but the first month or so we lived in this house in Indy and the water softener (what the hell is that? Never had that before!) leaked in the basement and got it wet.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom