• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Had a fun weekend. Rust was extremely thick and the shoulder not as willing as I’d hoped. Still not DFL and had a great time. Car lost a **** ton of power it doesn’t have to lose Sunday. Drive home was quiet and I realized that all I hear now is intake noise and no exhaust. Looks like the oil burning may have clogged the cat. It was struggling to cross 36 going across Missouri to go up any hill and we were down 5mpg on the return trip.

Noticed it on the 4th lap of the morning session, the guy I’d been battling with (at the time we were seperated by less then .1 over a 2 minute road course so we were nose to tail in a lot of places) I was no longer pulling on the two main straights. The second session I was down 4 seconds and 4mph on the back straight (exits uphill onto the straight) and 3 mph on the front straight but all my corner exit speeds were higher. Power was just not there.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Incase you gear heads haveseen the thread on this in the break room , come out to the Indiana model engine show, internal combustion, sterling and live steam steam.....you will not want to miss this...... FB_IMG_1690716666775.jpg IMG_1278.jpg IMG_0926.jpg 01-54L.jpg Resized_Resized_20230509_210323.jpg Resized_Resized_20230509_204407.jpg Resized_Resized_20221008_125905(1).jpg Resized_Resized_20221008_125910(1).jpeg Resized_PART_1682459973801_Resized_20221008_125915(1).jpeg Resized_Resized_20221008_125928(1)(1).jpeg

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've been fighting fouling spark plugs for a little while now and finally decided to figure out what was causing it. After some research I found that some people who run a Super Vic intake with a carburetor have lean issues on the 4 corner cylinders. When the same intake is used for EFI the 4 corner cylinders run rich.

20231008_171548.jpg 20231008_171455.jpg

I decided to do some individual cylinder fueling with the EFI. I added 10% more fuel to the inside 4 cylinders and allowed the computer to remove fuel across all cylinders. This picture is after a WOT pull with immediate shut down. The Right plug is a front cylinder and the left plug is a middle cylinder. Still a little rich but moving in the right direction.

20231009_162706.jpg

These plugs are from the drive home after the WOT pull. They look much better than before but I decided to put an additional 5% more in the center for a total of 15% more. Loaded up 8 new plugs for racing Friday night if it doesn't rain.

20231010_194457.jpg
    20231010_194546.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been fighting fouling spark plugs for a little while now and finally decided to figure out what was causing it. After some research I found that some people who run a Super Vic intake with a carburetor have lean issues on the 4 corner cylinders. When the same intake is used for EFI the 4 corner cylinders run rich.

View attachment 304852 View attachment 304853

I decided to do some individual cylinder fueling with the EFI. I added 10% more fuel to the inside 4 cylinders and allowed the computer to remove fuel across all cylinders. This picture is after a WOT pull with immediate shut down. The Right plug is a front cylinder and the left plug is a middle cylinder. Still a little rich but moving in the right direction.

View attachment 304854

These plugs are from the drive home after the WOT pull. They look much better than before but I decided to put an additional 5% more in the center for a total of 15% more. Loaded up 8 new plugs for racing Friday night if it doesn't rain.

View attachment 304855
    View attachment 304856

What heat range plugs are they?
    Are the WOT plugs on spray or motor only?
    Can you run a gasket seal plug that would allow you to index your plugs? That allows some control of where the flame front is in the cylinder.

They're definitely getting better but wow that first set was crazy fat. What ignition box are you running? If it has the ability, you could add a degree or two of timing to the corner cylinders. Or you could run a little hotter plug in the corner holes.

The intake issue on a carb set up is because the corner runners are longer and not as inline with the carb. So, the corners suck in less fuel causing them to be more lean. On an EFI set up if the injectors dump an equal amount of fuel it causes the over rich condition in the corners, because the longer runners have a lower air speed.

Back when we ran a single carb, we ran a little more fuel jet in the fogger for the corners. It kept them from being lean.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    What heat range plugs are they?
    Are the WOT plugs on spray or motor only?
    Can you run a gasket seal plug that would allow you to index your plugs? That allows some control of where the flame front is in the cylinder.

They're definitely getting better but wow that first set was crazy fat. What ignition box are you running? If it has the ability, you could add a degree or two of timing to the corner cylinders. Or you could run a little hotter plug in the corner holes.

The intake issue on a carb set up is because the corner runners are longer and not as inline with the carb. So, the corners suck in less fuel causing them to be more lean. On an EFI set up if the injectors dump an equal amount of fuel it causes the over rich condition in the corners, because the longer runners have a lower air speed.

Back when we ran a single carb, we ran a little more fuel jet in the fogger for the corners. It kept them from being lean.

They are NGK 7 range. A little cold for NA but I think right for nitrous
    The WOT plugs are just motor
    I haven't looked into indexing the plugs

Timing is all controlled by the Holley and I can add or remove time on individual cylinders.

That is what I read and it makes sense. I did think about getting a new intake (Holley High Ram) but it has gone up about $350 since I first looked at it. Adjusting the computer is free...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They are NGK 7 range. A little cold for NA but I think right for nitrous
    The WOT plugs are just motor
    I haven't looked into indexing the plugs

Timing is all controlled by the Holley and I can add or remove time on individual cylinders.

That is what I read and it makes sense. I did think about getting a new intake (Holley High Ram) but it has gone up about $350 since I first looked at it. Adjusting the computer is free...

I would think a 7 plug should be good for what you're running. IIRC, it's not a high compression combo.
    Sounds like you certainly have good options for making adjustments to clean those plugs up.

Yeah a $350 price increase is pretty big. I agree computer adjustments are free.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012

View attachment 304852 View attachment 304853

View attachment 304854

View attachment 304855
    View attachment 304856
    Wow, I hadn't thought of the intake causing that. Glad you made some progress.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Started working on the front flares;

20231007_180342.jpg

A couple of cans of Great Stuff. Cut it down to the general shape and then finalize it with bondo;

20231013_185732.jpg

Once it's right I'll prime it and prep it for paint. When its ready for paint ill treat it with mold release and I'll build a mold of it then make the flares out of fiberglass and bond them to the car.

Top Bottom