• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think I found a way around this. Because what happens when the owner isn't interested, or isn't alive anymore, etc? There has to be a way around it.
    I've got the paperwork in a folder here somewhere. Guess I'll get started on it and just see what happens. I'm not convinced it will be overly expensive. If I can make a write-up on what I did and how to make it easier for someone else, I will.
    I think you have to pay 2 years worth if I remember right if you haven't registered it for a few years. It not being in your name yet, I wouldn't think you have to pay back years for someone else's vehicle.

The getting a title thing. You used to have to have an officer come out and check the vin and then you had to put the info in the paper for a certain amount of time. I don't know if that's still a thing now that newspapers are disappearing.

I would just stop by the BMV and see what they say. One of the wife's friends works at the BMV. I could see what she says to do.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I think you have to pay 2 years worth if I remember right if you haven't registered it for a few years. It not being in your name yet, I wouldn't think you have to pay back years for someone else's vehicle.

The getting a title thing. You used to have to have an officer come out and check the vin and then you had to put the info in the paper for a certain amount of time. I don't know if that's still a thing now that newspapers are disappearing.

I would just stop by the BMV and see what they say. One of the wife's friends works at the BMV. I could see what she says to do.
    That would be great if you could ask! I've had a paper here for a couple years that I just haven't filled out yet. I think I got it from the BMV, but maybe not. I've talked to a few different entities about it over the years and since I basically bought it as a roller and haven't ever come close to firing it up, I've just not made it a priority.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Any of you guys following Bunker Hill Drag strip? Cory McMillan (sp?) bought it and seems to be really turning it around. Since Osceola closed, it our closest track and our local racers are really liking it.
    I've never been there but have friends who are regulars there. I do recall seeing last summer that Terry McMilllen and his wife bought it. It's my understanding that he had an arrangement with the previous owner to stay on for a year or two to help them learn the day to day stuff involved with it. Hope they have great success

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That would be great if you could ask! I've had a paper here for a couple years that I just haven't filled out yet. I think I got it from the BMV, but maybe not. I've talked to a few different entities about it over the years and since I basically bought it as a roller and haven't ever come close to firing it up, I've just not made it a priority.
    Ok, she started to chuckle when I asked her. Then she hit me with an onslaught of questions that I was not anyway prepared for. :lmfao:

She said first off the easiest way is to contact whoever you got the car from and see if they ever had a title for it. If they did and would apply for a duplicate title then just use that title like you normally do when you buy a car.

Otherwise you will have to have a court order for a title. That's when the hoops start. Have to have a vin inspection done by local LEO. Have to do a vin history to show there are no liens.

You don't have to pay back all the past years. You may have to pay for 2 years. She said depending on some things you may be able to do current year and the next year though.

Sooooo. Really I guess I didn't get much info.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Ok, she started to chuckle when I asked her. Then she hit me with an onslaught of questions that I was not anyway prepared for. :lmfao:

She said first off the easiest way is to contact whoever you got the car from and see if they ever had a title for it. If they did and would apply for a duplicate title then just use that title like you normally do when you buy a car.

Otherwise you will have to have a court order for a title. That's when the hoops start. Have to have a vin inspection done by local LEO. Have to do a vin history to show there are no liens.

You don't have to pay back all the past years. You may have to pay for 2 years. She said depending on some things you may be able to do current year and the next year though.

Sooooo. Really I guess I didn't get much info.
    Remember how I said I was gonna find the paperwork Friday night and finally get started? lol, yeah I didn't do that.

Anyway, I reached out to the guy after buying the car and was like, "hey, if I just pay for the duplicate title stuff will you help me out?" and got crickets. Dude just wasn't interested. Is what it is.

Affidavit for ownership I think is the file that I have here. Looking through the packets, it seems like the Affidavit option is best for me since I have an actual bill of sale. My buddy is gonna look for his, but if he can't find it then he will probably have to go through the court order process. Only thing I can't find on that packet is, how to get the court order? Guess I'll have to look that up separately.

Sweet. This is definitely some paperwork and hoops. I don't think it will be as bad as some people make it out to be.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    GoKart tire #1 completely trashed. He installed the new one today completely on his own. We'll be putting on a slick next time around. Tire pressure is something we'll pay closer attention to also this time.

1000001702.jpg

We also installed a tach today. It's a battery powered one that wraps around the plug wire. Seems to be reading about right. The boy likes it.

1000001703.jpg

He ran it today to test everything out. It's a light sprinkle but that didn't stop him. The rooster tails from all four wheels were pretty cool. He was aiming for the puddles btw.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    GoKart tire #1 completely trashed. He installed the new one today completely on his own. We'll be putting on a slick next time around. Tire pressure is something we'll pay closer attention to also this time.

View attachment 245157

We also installed a tach today. It's a battery powered one that wraps around the plug wire. Seems to be reading about right. The boy likes it.

View attachment 245158

He ran it today to test everything out. It's a light sprinkle but that didn't stop him. The rooster tails from all four wheels were pretty cool. He was aiming for the puddles btw.
    Memories to last a lifetime or two.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    C15E9D2A-D8B5-4F73-82BA-E3088C91FE2E.jpeg
    Indy Nationals; year ????

Eddie Hill - best power to weight ratio -on the left. Pete Robinson - lightest weight - on the right. Pete won… and outran most everyone that year according to Eddie.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Where is this information? Was it BT that died? Someone else?

Top Bottom