• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Imagine that. Cut a business down, and they go bankrupt. Who'd have thought?

Like when I hear about governments complaining about less taxes coming in.
    Really?
    They couldn't figure that before?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Here's one definitely caused by the pandemic: Books & Brews (in Fort Wayne).

I stopped there on Friday night, and was planning on going back. :(

I don't know how many breweries you have in Fort Wayne. In the Indy area, microbreweries and tap rooms were expanding at an unrealistic rate. Books and Brews went into 3 locations all within 20 min of my office. Seemed unrealistic to me even in a booming economy.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't know how many breweries you have in Fort Wayne. In the Indy area, microbreweries and tap rooms were expanding at an unrealistic rate. Books and Brews went into 3 locations all within 20 min of my office. Seemed unrealistic to me even in a booming economy.

That's what was going on in NWI. Microbreweries everywhere and then opening new locations of old favorites everywhere. Some we starting to "reassess" the number of locations before this mess. I'm sure this has accelerated the reassessment.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I'd say we're getting close to saturation in good times. Indy was definitely past that point, IMHO.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

That's what was going on in NWI. Microbreweries everywhere and then opening new locations of old favorites everywhere. Some we starting to "reassess" the number of locations before this mess. I'm sure this has accelerated the reassessment.

Over saturation, it's a real thing. It amazes me that people in business fail to realize that a market area can only can only sustain a certain number of same style businesses no matter how niche it is.
    The Indianapolis Metro area had a HUGE explosion of Micro Breweries/Brew Pubs that started in 2010.

One was opened in Plainfield years ago and has closed to my knowledge, Mooresville had one open in the last 6 months, and might make a go of it because of it's aggressive approach towards it food menu.

30 million people would love to own a cash cow like a McDonald's. When was the last time you seen a Micky D's close? It's because even McDonald's knows over saturation is a bad thing. To my memory the only McDonald's I ever seen closed was the one on the corner of Rural and Roosevelt Ave located a block south of the I-70 Rural/Keystone exit. I said when it was built it was the wrong neighborhood and wouldn't last.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Huh, could be.

I attributed the decline in Indiana microbrew joints to my decision last fall to switch from craft beer to bourbon.:dunno:

Believe me, it had to hurt their bottom line.:laugh:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Huh, could be.

I attributed the decline in Indiana microbrew joints to my decision last fall to switch from craft beer to bourbon.:dunno:

Believe me, it had to hurt their bottom line.:laugh:

Well, that and the fact that I've been making my own this year.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Over saturation, it's a real thing. It amazes me that people in business fail to realize that a market area can only can only sustain a certain number of same style businesses no matter how niche it is.
    The Indianapolis Metro area had a HUGE explosion of Micro Breweries/Brew Pubs that started in 2010.

One was opened in Plainfield years ago and has closed to my knowledge, Mooresville had one open in the last 6 months, and might make a go of it because of it's aggressive approach towards it food menu.

30 million people would love to own a cash cow like a McDonald's. When was the last time you seen a Micky D's close? It's because even McDonald's knows over saturation is a bad thing. To my memory the only McDonald's I ever seen closed was the one on the corner of Rural and Roosevelt Ave located a block south of the I-70 Rural/Keystone exit. I said when it was built it was the wrong neighborhood and wouldn't last.

You actually got to the point: McDonald's is, first and foremost, in the real estate business, not the fast-food business. McDonald's success is driven by its real estate strategy in determining restaurant locations.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I have no idea how Steak ‘n Shake is still in business. They are still not open for dine in. At noon, there was two cars in the parking lot.

Biglari has done more to thrash the brand than the pandemic could.

I had no idea how Steak 'n' Shake was still in business well before this.

All so true; before we moved out of Marion County, our southside home had three Steak 'n Shakes within reasonable driving distance. Only one was reasonably good, but it, too, went downhill.

No attention to any kind of quality or customer service.

I-69 expansion just killed the store at Southport Road and SR 37; I have no idea how it possibly managed to stay open until the INDOT buyout.

Top Bottom