• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oops, sorry! May have been mistaken on this article. I used up all of my freebies also. ****ing IBJ and their subscription BS.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not a result of Covid, but it just hastened it's death.

From the article:

"Most if not all of the chain’s restaurants have closed in recent years."
    If my source from by old Beer delivery job is correct, they was put on a Immediate payment, cash or certified check in 2018, could no longer have a escrow account.

When beer and liquor distributors put you on c.o.d., that is the first sign of the ship is sinking faster than they can bail the water out.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well when you have no Indpls Indian's baseball, NBA ball played in Orlando and 25% or less capacity for NFL games, it's a little hard to generate revenue.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    full time equivalents. basically fired two docs. ultimately we did this through retirement attrition and us working less overtime. but sucks
    What happens when you need the extra positions? Not like you can call a temp service for a doc.

Sorry to hear it's still happening to you. I know a few people that will say hell he's a doctor, he can afford it. But I hear people saying the same stuff about me owning rentals. Life ain't free, at least not for me.

Best of luck working thru this.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What happens when you need the extra positions? Not like you can call a temp service for a doc.

Sorry to hear it's still happening to you. I know a few people that will say hell he's a doctor, he can afford it. But I hear people saying the same stuff about me owning rentals. Life ain't free, at least not for me.

Best of luck working thru this.

the problem comes when our volume spikes 50% on a day and we don't have staff for that. The ER is always either understaffed over overstaffed. if you are too overstaffed you can't make payroll.

we pay 100% of medical and malpractice insurance fees for 55 employees, other than their HSA co-pays. the loss in revenue actually cost us 4 FTE worth of revenue.

first we lowered our physician coverage and took huge hits to our bonus (which makes up 50% of our compensation). Next step is making our employees pay more of their benefits or reducing their bonus/salary.

our reimbursement is getting cut 6% by Medicare this year, our administrative overhead is getting worse. cost to do business going up, and patient volumes going down. that's not sustainable

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    How do these numbers compare to free states, like South Dakota and Florida?
    The ER docs I know in other states are quite busy, but they attribute most of that to covid. (Pennsylvania and New York come to mind). They haven't mentioned their #s just that they are exhausted and pulling extra shifts. They also are seeing things that people put off too long.

In any case, ERs weren't closed by any states. So this is more a matter of choice if people aren't going to ERs.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The ER docs I know in other states are quite busy, but they attribute most of that to covid. (Pennsylvania and New York come to mind). They haven't mentioned their #s just that they are exhausted and pulling extra shifts. They also are seeing things that people put off too long.

In any case, ERs weren't closed by any states. So this is more a matter of choice if people aren't going to ERs.
    yes, people are choosing not to come. but we made a business model because we are obligated by law to see all those who show up and we have zero clue how many that will be.

idiots were telling people to not go to the ER. the only time we were overwhelmed was a few months ago, and that was because hospital was full, not because the ER was busy. the hospital just had 75% of our rooms full of inpatients and we couldn't see anyone

the job market for EM has been destroyed. shifts cut way back nationwide. when the "worst pandemic in our lives" nearly leads to healthcare going bankrupt due to lack of patients I think it shows how absurdly stupid we handled this

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    yes, people are choosing not to come. but we made a business model because we are obligated by law to see all those who show up and we have zero clue how many that will be.

idiots were telling people to not go to the ER. the only time we were overwhelmed was a few months ago, and that was because hospital was full, not because the ER was busy. the hospital just had 75% of our rooms full of inpatients and we couldn't see anyone

the job market for EM has been destroyed. shifts cut way back nationwide. when the "worst pandemic in our lives" nearly leads to healthcare going bankrupt due to lack of patients I think it shows how absurdly stupid we handled this
    If you don't mind my asking, what do you mean by "75% of our rooms full of inpatients and we couldn't see anyone"

Since all the other ER docs I know (about 10 total) are swamped, I don't question your personal experience but do wonder what the info is on "shifts cut back" . I suppose it's too soon to have data on job openings, salaries, etc. I know many had problems early in the pandemic when people were scared to come to ERs (but not forbidden by government) then they got swamped later in the pandemic.

I sincerely regret any problems you are having with your job or salaries. Not only for you, but because in the end that will cause problems for any of us that need ER visits.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If you don't mind my asking, what do you mean by "75% of our rooms full of inpatients and we couldn't see anyone"

Since all the other ER docs I know (about 10 total) are swamped, I don't question your personal experience but do wonder what the info is on "shifts cut back" . I suppose it's too soon to have data on job openings, salaries, etc. I know many had problems early in the pandemic when people were scared to come to ERs (but not forbidden by government) then they got swamped later in the pandemic.

I sincerely regret any problems you are having with your job or salaries. Not only for you, but because in the end that will cause problems for any of us that need ER visits.

we have about 55 rooms, and at times we were holding up to 40 inpatients who were admitted but had no inpatient room. a problem is our hospital takes a lot of referrals from outside smaller hospitals. so their sick people come to us and help fill our hospital. so now we're an ER who sees 180 patients a day (it used to be 220 before covid) and we have 20 rooms to do it in. so the waiting room backs up, people choose not to be seen, or go somewhere else. it's bad.

covid is very regional. I'm sure TX and CA are really busy now. but the vast majority of people I talk to are way down

Last edited:
    Top Bottom