Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I liked how Dyson started his "Mean, mad, white man" diatribe by telling Peterson that he was getting ready to precisely describe racism, and then he proceeded to spill out his word-salad of vague generalities.

In my experience, when a person (or people) insist on only using general language to describe what they insist is a specific problem, that usually means that: a.) They can think of no specific examples to prove their point. AND: b.) By requiring everyone to consider their vague argument as valid, they are requiring everyone to put THEM in the position to judge any and all counter-positions.

Well, I speak fluent word-salad. Let me translate: Racism is the oppression of minority races by majority races, where the former has no political power, and the latter has all the political power. So basically, minorities can't be racist, no matter how racially prejudice, or how much they hate the majority race; their hatred is justified.

Also, some reality implies some things that the word salad must also mean. Not only can minority races not be racist because they have no political power, even when they gain political power, they can never be racist because the majority race's ancestors oppressed them. This is the only thing that explains two glaring inconsistencies: 1) how they still can't be racist when a member of their racial group held the most powerful office in the nation, and was thus the most influential person in the world. 2) talk of reparations.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's an observation I've made...

I think you can tell when a new phrase/term/label/word strikes a nerve with people at how fast they try and shame those that use it. Example... back when "SJW" became a popular label... I noticed an uptick in people that tried to act like it was "uncool" to say.

Person A would mention something related to "SJW"... Person B would come along and say something along the lines of "oh wow people actually say that in real life, so much cringe."

I'm seeing this same behavior, albeit happening much faster, with the "soyboy" label. It got jumped on real quick with these sorts of retorts... So I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there that sifted through their photo history and deleted images of themselves with their mouth hanging open.

They want people to feel discouraged from saying things like "SJW" and "soyboy"... because of how close to home they probably hit.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Stuff like this is why SJW exist:

[video=youtube;2WEg7t9vPow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WEg7t9vPow[/video]
    This is why English should be the official language by law.
    If you want to speak another language go ahead, but we should not be wasting tax dollars on other languages.
    If someone speaks Spanish or Chinese or some other language to me I just ignore them because I speak English. If you cant learn how. If you are making an effort I'll help you. I have never went to a foreign country and not at least tried to learn some of the language first.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    For some reason ever since the issue the other day with the site layout changing and having to switch to full screen mode in android or whatever. Everytime someone quotes a video it blocks out a large chunk of the text of the persons comment. Is anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it? I dont speak geek. Thanks ;)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For some reason ever since the issue the other day with the site layout changing and having to switch to full screen mode in android or whatever. Everytime someone quotes a video it blocks out a large chunk of the text of the persons comment. Is anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it? I dont speak geek. Thanks ;)

Yeah, I cross-posted Jamil talking about it to the Responsive thread. It does seem to be a new issue with the layout.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    ISJ occurs because of indoctrination. It's at least as deep as that.

Sure, indoctrination leads to "insane social justice-ism", but the under-considered factor is perceived identity and association. Having an identity, and one that is associated with a group is one of the strongest hard-wired impulses that humans exhibit. And, along with that comes the instinct to protect your group and your identity against all comers.

Politics and social structure has become more divided and adversarial recently because different social identities have become more distinct. I don't think that people are as different in their mind-set today compared to years ago as much as people's perspectives are more different than they were years ago.

Belonging to a group, and defending your group against all comers at all costs is a strong hard-wired impulse because it's also been one of the most necessary traits for humans to protect themselves and their group against other people and groups who would take their resources and/or kill them for many thousands of years. But that hard-wired impulse that once was necessary for survival is the same impulse that, today, makes one person hate Trump and the Republicans, and another person to hate Chevy trucks and PBR.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So dull.

DdubmAkV0AAFxno.jpg:small

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sure, indoctrination leads to "insane social justice-ism", but the under-considered factor is perceived identity and association. Having an identity, and one that is associated with a group is one of the strongest hard-wired impulses that humans exhibit. And, along with that comes the instinct to protect your group and your identity against all comers.

Politics and social structure has become more divided and adversarial recently because different social identities have become more distinct. I don't think that people are as different in their mind-set today compared to years ago as much as people's perspectives are more different than they were years ago.

Belonging to a group, and defending your group against all comers at all costs is a strong hard-wired impulse because it's also been one of the most necessary traits for humans to protect themselves and their group against other people and groups who would take their resources and/or kill them for many thousands of years. But that hard-wired impulse that once was necessary for survival is the same impulse that, today, makes one person hate Trump and the Republicans, and another person to hate Chevy trucks and PBR.

I think Peterson was right to frame it in terms of group identity, because that certainly seems like the most obvious layer beneath the ideology.

I kinda think the ISJ stuff is a natural phenomenon, and especially the logical conclusion of post-modernism. It's an idea that someone would eventually think. It's an idea that seems obviously appealing to people wired with egalitarian sensibilities, one which is superficially hard to say where it goes wrong. Tribalism on the other side can accidentally be right that it's wrong, even if it doesn't think deeply enough to discover why. But it does take some depth to figure out what's wrong about it. Tribes need no such depth. Which is why tribalism, when it finds the right answer, is only accidentally right.

Seems to me that the ideas which best facilitate survival at the time, survive the times. Also, it seems obvious that society produces the people it needs to survive. Not that society has a collective mind to raise up the people it needs for survival, though abstractly one might think of it that way. But the right people rise up more because of natural selection. There was always going to be an intellectual dark web of thinkers which counter the dangers of tribalism on both sides, when that became the existential threat.

Okay. I'm rambling now. Sorry for the streaming thoughts.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Another hit-piece on Peterson. This time from Jezebel/Gawker. Archive link below.

Cute way to work in the "incel" label.

The New York Times Enters the Icy Domain of Jordan Peterson, the Incel's Intellectual

Wow. Made it to about the third paragraph.

Readers of Jezebel aren't really fence sitters that would give Peterson a chance anyway, but yeah. This essentially takes the NY Times piece and triples down on it. But then, that was the entire point of the Times piece in the first place. Put something out and let the feminist sites amplify and distort it even further.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is why English should be the official language by law.
    If you want to speak another language go ahead, but we should not be wasting tax dollars on other languages.
    If someone speaks Spanish or Chinese or some other language to me I just ignore them because I speak English. If you cant learn how. If you are making an effort I'll help you. I have never went to a foreign country and not at least tried to learn some of the language first.
    Just how often does someone speak to you in Chinese?

I couldn't exactly figure out what this guy was on a rant about, but what would an official national language change? Serious question.

And just be thankful you live in a country where the primary / official language is English. There's plenty of people that grow up in a country where their official language is irrelevant. And FWIW, this problem (immigrants who don't / can't speak the native language) isn't unique to the US - there's plenty of Russians in the Baltics that refuse to speak the native language.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Just how often does someone speak to you in Chinese?

I couldn't exactly figure out what this guy was on a rant about, but what would an official national language change? Serious question.

And just be thankful you live in a country where the primary / official language is English. There's plenty of people that grow up in a country where their official language is irrelevant. And FWIW, this problem (immigrants who don't / can't speak the native language) isn't unique to the US - there's plenty of Russians in the Baltics that refuse to speak the native language.
    Well it changes how tax dollars have to be spent to accommodate people who speak other languages. If English is the official language then I dont think you would see as many road signs or other government signs and literature being printed in multi languages. It really does cost us a lot of money.
    I dont have a personal hate for people of other nationalities or ethnicities or speaking other languages. I like different cultures. AMERICA IS GREAT BECAUSE WE ARE A MELTING POT. I've always agreed with this. But English is the primary language and we all need to be on the same starting page.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Talk about entrapment! That guy is a joke.
    typical reverse racism. It's really a double standard.
    And you can be sure he picked her specifically because she fit the mold of who he wanted to make fun of and pick on.
    What are "African Americans" gonna do in 15 years or so when they are overtaken by Hispanics and they have to really compete for that sympathy vote or pulling the race card? lol
    Its not all but its the ones who wanna play victims, ****em

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well it changes how tax dollars have to be spent to accommodate people who speak other languages. If English is the official language then I dont think you would see as many road signs or other government signs and literature being printed in multi languages. It really does cost us a lot of money.
    I dont have a personal hate for people of other nationalities or ethnicities or speaking other languages. I like different cultures. AMERICA IS GREAT BECAUSE WE ARE A MELTING POT. I've always agreed with this. But English is the primary language and we all need to be on the same starting page.

I haven't seen any road signs in Spanish, but I don't travel in the SW, so YMMV.

However, there are plenty of places where Spanish is mandated for use on many signs, but I don't see that changing just because English is "official". "Official" doesn't mean exclusive. There's plenty of countries where the official language is something other than English, but there's still plenty of English all over the place.

Now, I do think it's worth discussing, "Does writing out a warning in both English and Spanish keep people from learning English, or does it keep them from getting their hand mangled and costing the taxpayers a lot more do to health care cost, lost wages, disability, etc."

Being the pragmatist, I'm willing to set aside my Nationalism and look at the big picture.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom