Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Christ already answered this question for you. When speaking to the woman at the well, he answered her question regarding worship by telling her that salvation comes from the Jews. While there is much to unpack in that passage He appears to be alluding to Himself but also indicating that God's Truth is carried in the hands of the Jews (hypocrisy writ large notwithstanding) as opposed to the Chinese copy found in Samaria.

This would appear to apply to Zacharias as he did well in curating and presenting the truth even while in some regards failing miserably to practice it.

I do not see the connection with Jefferson. While we would see preaching liberty while owning (and apparently diddling) slaves as hypocritical, he was a product of a time in which this was considered perfectly acceptable. I see this as significantly different from someone who unequivocally knew better.
    That's the problem with interpreting ancient writings. People unpack a lot of unstated stuff to make it say more than it might actually say. Listen to 5 different preachers from 5 different denominations "unpack" one verse and they'll have it saying 5 different things. There are 200 denominations in the US alone primarily because people unpack things differently, and sometimes it leads to irreconcilable differences, and thus new denominations are born from that disagreement.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's the problem with interpreting ancient writings. People unpack a lot of unstated stuff to make it say more than it might actually say. Listen to 5 different preachers from 5 different denominations "unpack" one verse and they'll have it saying 5 different things. There are 200 denominations in the US alone primarily because people unpack things differently, and sometimes it leads to irreconcilable differences, and thus new denominations are born from that disagreement.
    Often it isn't really that big of a problem in reality. Most of the time in my experience it comes from several things being said and most people will pick a favorite or two and ignore the rest.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not if they identify as the other sex. Butt. If they're cross-dressing, yeah. That's a good point.
    So, in the woke mind, if you do it for the "right" reasons, you're golden and if not you need your nuts cut off and force-fed to you. Sounds par for the course.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Often it isn't really that big of a problem in reality. Most of the time in my experience it comes from several things being said and most people will pick a favorite or two and ignore the rest.
    I've done my share of Bible study back in the day. It's what they all say. The people who interpret it in a way you'd disagree with say the same thing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Kids can still paint their faces just not like war paint. Any grown adult should know better than to do either.
    It's not something that I care to do. But people like to let go sometimes. Big deal. It doesn't actually hurt anyone. You wanna get into the game spirit and paint your face in team colors, go for it. Go have some fun. Let the Karens get bent.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    How about men dressing as women? Wouldn't that be considered sexual appropriation?
    STFU, you deplorable TERF! /s

There's a whole fight going on right now between trans activists and OG feminists who see the trans thing as men putting on wigs and dresses, invading spaces that used to be reserved for women, and helping themselves to the social clout and privileges afforded to women.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've done my share of Bible study back in the day. It's what they all say. The people who interpret it in a way you'd disagree with say the same thing.
    I suppose the difference is that I generally don't disagree with others per se but see where most people pick out what they like where I go with the entire content to the best of my understanding in the realization that I am not perfect nor is my understanding. Consequently, I personally do well with most others.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    It's not something that I care to do. But people like to let go sometimes. Big deal. It doesn't actually hurt anyone. You wanna get into the game spirit and paint your face in team colors, go for it. Go have some fun. Let the Karens get bent.
    Headdresses aren’t a costume item to me. It’s like stolen valor or wearing a mason ring you didn’t earn. Face paint is whatever but a grown man, probably brought his mitt to the game is just sad.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Kids can still paint their faces just not like war paint. Any grown adult should know better than to do either.
    So, if you are what would have been called aberrant in the '50s that's fine, but an adult should know better than to do what you think is not OK now.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    So, if you are what would have been called aberrant in the '50s that's fine, but an adult should know better than to do what you think is not OK now.
    What? A grown man in the 50's,60's,70's,80's,90's,00's,20's should know better than to paint their face unless they're doing something that requires them to be camouflaged. You want a ballon animal too?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Listen to 5 different preachers from 5 different denominations "unpack" one verse and they'll have it saying 5 different things.
    That's a weak argument. Interpretation in no way affects the underlying truth

Now do five scientists 'unpacking' what space time is or the quantum hall effect or frame dragging. They 'unpack' one idea (verse) and wind up saying 5 diffrent things, but that variance in no way affects the validity of the underlying idea

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Meh. Most of those denomination difference are over the color of carpet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom