Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Hello indy gal.
    :wavey:
    You must be catching up.
    I could almost follow you from your "likes".
    Hey there! Yeah, a lot of times I go down the You Tube rabbit hole for a while, watching an amazing plethora of either really interesting stuff, or just mindless drivel. Then I need some sanity in my life so I come over here and try to get caught up on stuff. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. :cool:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Kids are inherently NOT racist. That's a learned behavior. So the parents need to look in the mirror if they think their kids are racists.
    I find this guy's teaching very untrue.
    My neighborhood growing up we had Black, Hispanic/Latino and White people.
    Guess what? We all played with one another, had the same favorite ball teams all got into trouble about the same stuff at the same time. Our parents got along also. Not sure where racism was there. I live in the country now 99% white and I still do not see racism. The only racism I see is the democrats stiring the racism pot.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Kids are inherently NOT racist. That's a learned behavior. So the parents need to look in the mirror if they think their kids are racists.
    I'll agree they aren't inherently racist, at least in the traditional sense. There is inherent behavior that starts at a very young age that appears racist. But it's more tribalism than racism. There have been quite a few studies that show a tendency to like people that look like them or others they have been surrounded with aka their "tribe". And dislike or not like as much others that don't. You take a 2 yr old Scandinavian kid who's only known blond haired blue eyed people, and give them a choice of playing with a blond haired blue eyed kid, or a kid with dark hair and eyes, all else being equal they will most likely go with the one that has blond hair. Same goes for skin tone.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'll agree they aren't inherently racist, at least in the traditional sense. There is inherent behavior that starts at a very young age that appears racist. But it's more tribalism than racism. There have been quite a few studies that show a tendency to like people that look like them or others they have been surrounded with aka their "tribe". And dislike or not like as much others that don't. You take a 2 yr old Scandinavian kid who's only known blond haired blue eyed people, and give them a choice of playing with a blond haired blue eyed kid, or a kid with dark hair and eyes, all else being equal they will most likely go with the one that has blond hair. Same goes for skin tone.
    Definitely depends on the neighborhood you are raised in. Who else would we play with if they are all one color or two. My neighborhood I grew up in was very diverse. My baby sitter was a Mexican American woman who is still dear to my heart to this day she treated me and my siblings just like her own children and her children and our family grew to have a very family like relationship to this day.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Definitely depends on the neighborhood you are raised in. Who else would we play with if they are all one color or two. My neighborhood I grew up in was very diverse. My baby sitter was a Mexican American woman who is still dear to my heart to this day she treated me and my siblings just like her own children and her children and our family grew to have a very family like relationship to this day.
    I agree. That's why I put "and surrounded by" and not just looks like. I grew up in the exact opposite neighborhood, I think it was somewhere around 110% white not Hispanic. Might be off by a percentage point or two, seriously did not have somebody other than white in my class till H.S.. I wasn't raised racist, and never thought that whites were better than anyone else. But I'll admit I did used to feel I wouldn't say uneasy around other races, but close.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I agree. That's why I put "and surrounded by" and not just looks like. I grew up in the exact opposite neighborhood, I think it was somewhere around 110% white not Hispanic. Might be off by a percentage point or two, seriously did not have somebody other than white in my class till H.S.. I wasn't raised racist, and never thought that whites were better than anyone else. But I'll admit I did used to feel I wouldn't say uneasy around other races, but close.
    Only time I feel uneasy is when I'm in a bad neighborhood and I don't care what color of skin they have. Bad is bad it doesn't matter who they are. Be it Vine St in Cincinnati or the meth head projects in Madison, Indiana.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Only time I feel uneasy is when I'm in a bad neighborhood and I don't care what color of skin they have. Bad is bad it doesn't matter who they are. Be it Vine St in Cincinnati or the meth head projects in Madison, Indiana.
    Same here. I did say used to, I've long outgrew it. And it was more not quite sure how to say it, not uneasy, not "off", just something. Perhaps maybe a tad uncomfortable but that's not quite right either, and that applied to blacks, Hispanics, Orientals, etc.

I'm not familiar with either of those places, but I grew up in NWI so I can understand. Gary, E. Chicago, Hammond, all had bad neighborhoods each one a majority of a different single race/ethnicity.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Same here. I did say used to, I've long outgrew it. And it was more not quite sure how to say it, not uneasy, not "off", just something. Perhaps maybe a tad uncomfortable but that's not quite right either, and that applied to blacks, Hispanics, Orientals, etc.

I'm not familiar with either of those places, but I grew up in NWI so I can understand. Gary, E. Chicago, Hammond, all had bad neighborhoods each one a majority of a different single race/ethnicity.
    TJB, brother Region Rat! I also grew up in Hambone, on the 7400 block of Jarnecke, directly across Columbia Avenue from the Columbia Center projects, population was about 75% black. At the time (60s and 70s), one just didn't go in there, except maybe on a dare. I had no concept of "black people bad" in my head, just that it was terra incognita, and not safe. Which was true.

I worked for a few years at City Hall, in the East Hammond area, the other "bad part of town". $10000 cars parked in front of $5000 homes. Population was 99% black, and another area with a high concentration of crime. By then, I *had* ingrained the idea of "black people bad", or at least, "black people scary". In my defense, there was a definite vibe of not being welcome as I drove through the neighborhood to go to and from work.

I won't go into the details of my personal transformation, because it's boring. But once I went to college and the real world outside Da Region and met, hung out with and dated people of various skin tones, things changed for me. Oh I remained (and still am) tribal in my associations, but based on values and interests.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    TJB, brother Region Rat! I also grew up in Hambone, on the 7400 block of Jarnecke, directly across Columbia Avenue from the Columbia Center projects, population was about 75% black. At the time (60s and 70s), one just didn't go in there, except maybe on a dare. I had no concept of "black people bad" in my head, just that it was terra incognita, and not safe. Which was true.

I worked for a few years at City Hall, in the East Hammond area, the other "bad part of town". $10000 cars parked in front of $5000 homes. Population was 99% black, and another area with a high concentration of crime. By then, I *had* ingrained the idea of "black people bad", or at least, "black people scary". In my defense, there was a definite vibe of not being welcome as I drove through the neighborhood to go to and from work.

I won't go into the details of my personal transformation, because it's boring. But once I went to college and the real world outside Da Region and met, hung out with and dated people of various skin tones, things changed for me. Oh I remained (and still am) tribal in my associations, but based on values and interests.

I spent my early years in Highland, then Lansing, then back to Highland, Griffith and Black Oak. But frequently went into Hammond/EC/Whiting.

Growing up I never had the idea that black people bad/scary, just stay out of most parts of Gary. Although my Mom would take me to the flea market in the old iirc Goldblatt's or Woolworth on Broadway. This was late 70's early 80's or so.

IIRC there is or was there some majority white projects in Hammond?

My personal transformation is pretty boring as well. Mainly going to work with and meeting various people of varying skin tones and ethnicities.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I spent my early years in Highland, then Lansing, then back to Highland, Griffith and Black Oak. But frequently went into Hammond/EC/Whiting.

Growing up I never had the idea that black people bad/scary, just stay out of most parts of Gary. Although my Mom would take me to the flea market in the old iirc Goldblatt's or Woolworth on Broadway. This was late 70's early 80's or so.

IIRC there is or was there some majority white projects in Hammond?

My personal transformation is pretty boring as well. Mainly going to work with and meeting various people of varying skin tones and ethnicities.
    There was a trailer park in North Hammond, near Douglas Park, which was mostly white. I knew to stay away from there!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    More erasing of women

I thought we were supposed to protect women.
    Then I thought, women were equal to men, and didn't need to be protected.
    Now, just erase women.

What?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    More erasing of women

I thought we were supposed to protect women.
    Then I thought, women were equal to men, and didn't need to be protected.
    Now, just erase women.

What?

The message this sends is that men are superior to women in every way, up to and including, being a woman. It's so freaking stupid.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    More schools eliminating bad grades in the name of "equity."

“Our whole intent is to ensure that grades focus on the process of learning,” Principal Christina Pierre said in the video, according to Fox News. “Therefore, grades will not include behaviors, attitude, tardiness to class, whether the assignment was turned in late or on time. There’s other ways that we can communicate those things to parents.”
    I'll be sure to mention this to my boss if I ever miss a deadline.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom