• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Sounds great. I am currently at the lowest weight I have gotten over the last 14 years. I would get to close to this weight then shoot right back up over time. This time I needed a lifestyle change that would be consistent to lose more and stay there so time will tell. Got 24 more pounds to go to get where I want.
    I am also at my lowest weight in 14-15 years. I could stand to lose 50-75 more, but I may settle for less.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Sounds like you are on a good path.

Keep the solid information given in mind for the future. As you are losing weight, you'll hit platoughs where subtle changes can help.

Drastic changes in eating habits often make the journey overwhelming. It's taken me years to turn down the bad for me "gifts" that I earned for losing weight.

If you are like me, you'll grow into better lifestyle habits as you get better results. Also learn as you go when it becomes obvious you need to change further.

Then there is the other motivation. IIRC, you and I are in the same age range. We need to be tracking things that could make a difference in how older age treats us, right?
    Yes. I would love to kick the diabetes to the curb, because I value my kidneys, feet, and eyes. Short-term goal is to be healthy enough to take care of my 90-yr-old mom for as long as she needs me. After that, I'm just living for myself, which I have not done for a long time (if ever). I will have to learn to take care of myself for my own sake.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes. I would love to kick the diabetes to the curb, because I value my kidneys, feet, and eyes. Short-term goal is to be healthy enough to take care of my 90-yr-old mom for as long as she needs me. After that, I'm just living for myself, which I have not done for a long time (if ever). I will have to learn to take care of myself for my own sake.

Don't forget to keep mobility in mind.

I cannot tell you how many of my same age and younger friends are writing off regular life things, because they are "just getting old," when it's actually being overweight and lack of any noticeable exercise that is the problem. Once this age blaming starts it goes downhill fast, often without regard for what could be done to better things.
    "I just can't. Old age is Hell!" :n00b:

Doctors can be helpful, but IMHO most seem to just be drug dealers these days? Hawking life long chemicals that compound themselves, attempting to fix the symptoms that the last drug gave? 20 years later, maybe that drug was a bad idea in the first place? Here's another one to fix it... :nailbite:

:twocents:

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've been doing some 'shorter' runs over the past week to vary it a bit. 5.1 miles on very hilly terrain was fun. Yesterday was all walking, took the family to Holiday World so nothing other than 15k steps around the park. 6.25 mile jogging on the road today for an easy run. Probably hills again tomorrow.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am using Metformin. I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.
    I've used Metformin for 10 years or more and now use Januvia with it.
    If I stuck to a diet like you mentioned I'd try try cutting one pill in half first. Metformin is one of the LEAST likely medications to cause you a problem with LOWS so I'd not be to worried about trying to reduce 25% and test your sugar closely. I'll check mine about every 4-6 hours if I think I'm having a problem or trying anything new just to prove to myself if I'm making a correct move.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I've lost a few belt notches. Gonna need to punch some new holes or get a new belt.
    I've cut down so many belts now I've got them laying everywhere. Now I've give up cutting them and making new holes and finally bought a new ONE.

I'll NEVER need another pair of pants or shirt so long as the wife can take them up a little every once in a while.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Weight day. So when I feel like I haven’t lost any weight I lose the most and today I felt like I lost a lot of weight so of course I didn’t. Zero pounds this week. Exactly the same weight as last week. At least it didn’t go up. Think I might fire my scale.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Weight day. So when I feel like I haven’t lost any weight I lose the most and today I felt like I lost a lot of weight so of course I didn’t. Zero pounds this week. Exactly the same weight as last week. At least it didn’t go up. Think I might fire my scale.
    It happens. I was 211 last week, so I was excited to see what the scale said this week. Emmereffing 215. :xmad:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    4.11 miles in 1 hour 5 min on a trail at Ft Ben tonight. Kit = Camelback w/ 2L, pistol, extra mag, flashlight, phone, keys, ear buds.

Not fast enough imo. I have a 10k Run-n-Gun match in a week & will be carrying a much heavier kit. I need more speed.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ordered a new scale and will use to see any difference between the current one.

For dinner tonight. Claus German Sausage and Meats bacon and Sous Vide cooked at 130 for an hour and half then pan seared lamb in the bacon grease. Very good and April, my cat, kept begging for more.

IMG_0326.jpeg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Weight day. Lost 3 pounds last week. Probably lost some the previous week but it can change how you stand on the scale. Ordered a new scale to test against the old one. Current one measures fat% but if you watch any reviews all of them that do that are all over the place so I only use it for weight. Down 29.2 pounds since starting measurement. That is over a span of 14 weeks. According to BMI based on age and height I am no longer mildly obese but just overweight. If I got to 15% body fat the web says I should be 187 pounds. The range for normal is something like 147 to 199 pounds. My goal is 195 pounds. I am good with that because even then I will be more of a beanpole. So far over the last 13 years this is the lowest in weight I have gotten.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Weight day. Lost 3 pounds last week. Probably lost some the previous week but it can change how you stand on the scale. Ordered a new scale to test against the old one. Current one measures fat% but if you watch any reviews all of them that do that are all over the place so I only use it for weight. Down 29.2 pounds since starting measurement. That is over a span of 14 weeks. According to BMI based on age and height I am no longer mildly obese but just overweight. If I got to 15% body fat the web says I should be 187 pounds. The range for normal is something like 147 to 199 pounds. My goal is 195 pounds. I am good with that because even then I will be more of a beanpole. So far over the last 13 years this is the lowest in weight I have gotten.
    Bioimpedance analysis (BIA) has improved in accuracy/reliability over the years, but I think this is still generally true. What such scales are good for, IMHO, is trend analysis. Over time, trends should exceed the margin of error, allowing you to determine if you're moving toward your goals.

Also: how does the web know your lean body mass or your muscle mass?

If you're really serious about getting precise results, you could consider periodic DEXA scans - but even then, I'm not convinced their utility is worth the cost.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lost zero lbs this month...but my shirts are looser and I am a hole in on my belt. Either I need to take a massive dump or I've just moved weight around. I've spent the month doing a lot of hill work and I can tell the difference in my thighs. Still need about 2" off my belly button line to be back to where I was pre-ulcer, though.

Yesterday I saw my sock through the side of my trail shoes. I should have replaced them over a hundred miles ago, but they are so expensive it hurts my soul a little every time I order a new pair. Even worse, they quit making the model I wear. I knew they were, I bought two pair on clearance last time. I have Flintstone feet so it's such a PITA to find good fitting shoes with a wide enough toe box but narrow enough heel. Plus stores usually have little to no options in stock in my size. So, ordered some Hoka Speed Goats and hope they fit as well as my old Hokas.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe this accounts for most of the discrepancies in my weight, since I am very irregular and don't go for several days in a row (usually about 5).

Water weight is a big chunk of mine. I am not a huge salt fan, so if I eat something salty my weight swings up pretty dramatically for a bit due to water retention. We ate wings and pizza (cauliflower crust) the day before I weighed, and I'm sure the pizza was high sodium. Honestly, I'd like my weight to move back down but as long as I'm moving in the right direction with body fat I'm fine.

My sleep schedule was all out of whack due to a busy on-call week, which hurts as well. I did zero weight lifting, though I kept up my running. Brain fog and fatigue for sure.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Bioimpedance analysis (BIA) has improved in accuracy/reliability over the years, but I think this is still generally true. What such scales are good for, IMHO, is trend analysis. Over time, trends should exceed the margin of error, allowing you to determine if you're moving toward your goals.

Also: how does the web know your lean body mass or your muscle mass?

If you're really serious about getting precise results, you could consider periodic DEXA scans - but even then, I'm not convinced their utility is worth the cost.
    I don’t care about precise results really. Just getting to my imagined ideal weight and then I will go from there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    TRAIL RUNNING
    12.15 mi DISTANCE
    2:13:52 TIME
    11:01 /mi AVG PACE
    515 ft TOTAL ASCENT
    152 bpm AVG HR

Pretty decent improvement, 56 seconds a mile faster than on 10/13. Hill work paid off. I didn't start feeling any fatigue until about 8.5 miles (not coincidentally, a pretty steep hill right there) and didn't feel like I was 'pushing' until about 11 miles. I was tired, but not gassed, at the end and could have gone longer if I'd wanted. I desperately need new trail shoes, though, my knees aren't exactly sore but they are definitely stiff. I've got some ordered, no more long runs until they get here.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Finished the 60 hour fast. I will start doing a 78 hour fast occasionally probably on a Friday to Sunday.

Why can fasting be important? Apparently it induces Autophagy. That is where the body conserves cell degradation by removing unnecessary and/or damaged proteins thereby increasing cell life. This reduces the need for more cells to be created and by theory and some studies increases longevity.

Intense interval training does the same by inducing hypoxia (being short of breath) which triggers Autophagy. For instance one study of Olympic athletes showed high jumpers (short intense exercise) lived longer than marathon runners.

Where intense exercise affects the area of the body that is exercised fasting affects the whole body.

Exercise creates muscle damage where rest and nutrition repairs it but over exercising creates permanent damage. I am old (70) so the repair takes much longer than a young person.

Aging creates cumulative damage so I probably need to concentrate more on maintaining muscle lost to age than building it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom