• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Weight day. New scale or old scale? The old scale also measures body fat but that tech is not reliable. Too many variables like how much water you drank and no two scales agree. The new one only measures weight and came fairly high in reviews on Amazon for about $50.

So during testing the new one stays steady and the old one jumps around so the new one it is.

Down 1.4 lbs this week for a total of 30.6 pounds and 20 to go. Since my diet has me losing weight consistently, when I get to my target weight I might just see where it levels off instead.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wow, retiring all my 38” and 36” waist sized pants. Down to a 34. Started this weight loss in 36s that were a bit tight so weighed more before. Had some 34s that were more wishes than reality so at least I have something to wear that fits.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Weight day. Well, that was interesting. I did something I normally don’t do. I weighed myself a couple of times during the week. After last Thursday I had gained some tenths of a pound. Yesterday I was below some tenths from last week. This morning I am down 3.6 pounds for a running total of 34.2 pounds. Yesterday I had things to do and ended up just not being hungry so did not eat. I drank a lot of coffee so some of the loss might be water.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm trying to change my normal annual cold weather weight gain this year.

Always a lot less activity in the cold months. Shows me how much my garden is a regular workout that needs a replacement this time of year.

I think I'm gonna have to force myself on the step count to start with. Then combine that with some upper body stuff, along with the general daily keep :poop: moving stretch/workout that wards off injury.

As far as diet, I notice that I can still have good days on the scale, when I push my fast to later, turning it into OMAD.

:drill:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    When I got down to 220 a few weeks ago, I sat down and reevaluted what I was doing. My cardio and full body workout routine was getting stale and boring, so it was time to change things up. I was somewhat satisfied with my slimmed down appearance, so now let's flip it and see if I can put on some muscle mass. I was doing three days of a full body workout along with three days of cardio lasting 45 minutes. I've moved to a split routine five days a week and reduced cardio to two one hour sessions per week. I plan on keeping this routine going for 12 weeks.

I'm up to 226 right now. Some of it might be a little muscle, but I'm guessing the majority is water. I started taking protein and creatine when I began the new program, and I think the creatine is causing me to retain water. I'm also eating with a purpose mulitple times per day, but I'm still watching calories. That change in diet could have something to do with it as well. I don't know about other folks, but experimenting like this helps keep things fresh and prevents burn out.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This evening I will have a variation on a Turkish dish. Since I can’t find soujouk (a dry spiced sausage) I use Claus Meats Cajun sausage.

Sausage sliced fried in butter then scrambled with 4 eggs adding diced tomatoes. Salt pepper and spices of your choice but the sausage has some heat.

My diet is very low carb as in almost nonexistent. The above will hold me over for 24 hours until the next meal.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I ate half a bag of peanut M&M's a couple days ago and then forgot to take my morning pills.

It didn't kill me.

Yet.
    Ha Ha! I was addicted to Costco chocolate chip cookies and M&Ms. Now that I have started this low carb journey I no longer have the same cravings. Carbs make you crave more carbs especially the ones so concentrated like candy and such.

My problem was that I am probably the least picky eater I know. I like all food. I still look longingly at pizza but after 4 months I don’t break down and indulge.

Every once in awhile I lose that grip with hard alcohol. I quit for a year but have a drink once in awhile now but always regret it. That is the real hard one for me.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The biggest benefit for me after 4 months of low carb is quicker thinking. I would have trouble with my vocabulator as my thinking would sometimes get muddled. This is a welcomed development. Not sure it will help my memory as it has always been spotty. Certain things for me have always been hard to remember. These are arbitrary things like names and dates.

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    Just came across this thread. Last Feb I started a program provided by work called Wondr. I didn’t really follow along too well, but I took some of what they said and applied it to my routine…common sense things like only eat when you’re hungry and stop eating when you’re full. Drink more watery things and no sugary things.

I started at around 221 and I’m down to around 165.

My routine is basically this:
    No food between 7pm and 11am although I try to make it to 12 or 12:30.
    For lunch I eat around 200 calories of something. Protein bar or veggies. Maybe some fruit and granola.
    For dinner I just eat whatever minus sweets.
    Always have something low calorie to drink.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just came across this thread. Last Feb I started a program provided by work called Wondr. I didn’t really follow along too well, but I took some of what they said and applied it to my routine…common sense things like only eat when you’re hungry and stop eating when you’re full. Drink more watery things and no sugary things.

I started at around 221 and I’m down to around 165.

My routine is basically this:
    No food between 7pm and 11am although I try to make it to 12 or 12:30.
    For lunch I eat around 200 calories of something. Protein bar or veggies. Maybe some fruit and granola.
    For dinner I just eat whatever minus sweets.
    Always have something low calorie to drink.
    Good for you. The 'no eating at night' is a big one for me. I go to bed around 9:30, but I usually wake up between 11-12 and stay up a couple of hours. Sometimes I'm pretty good, and other times I eat non-stop at my pc. It can amount to a whole meal. I have been trying to limit myself to one of my home-made low-sugar popsicles because I usually wake up hot. I make a half-gallon pitcher of the kind of kool-aid you have to add sugar to, except I add half the sugar. They I put it in freezable ziploc popsicle tubes and freeze. They are about 25 calories.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Finished the 60 hour fast. I will start doing a 78 hour fast occasionally probably on a Friday to Sunday.

Why can fasting be important? Apparently it induces Autophagy. That is where the body conserves cell degradation by removing unnecessary and/or damaged proteins thereby increasing cell life. This reduces the need for more cells to be created and by theory and some studies increases longevity.

Intense interval training does the same by inducing hypoxia (being short of breath) which triggers Autophagy. For instance one study of Olympic athletes showed high jumpers (short intense exercise) lived longer than marathon runners.

Where intense exercise affects the area of the body that is exercised fasting affects the whole body.

Exercise creates muscle damage where rest and nutrition repairs it but over exercising creates permanent damage. I am old (70) so the repair takes much longer than a young person.

Aging creates cumulative damage so I probably need to concentrate more on maintaining muscle lost to age than building it.
    I believe hypoxia refers to oxygen levels in the bloodstream/supplied to tissues, rather than to shortness of breath per se. But, yes: autophagy is real, and the study of its potential/likely benefits is fascinating.

Also, I don't believe it always to be true that exercise creates muscle damage. It can, but it doesn't always do so - and achieving such damage is not necessarily a useful/beneficial objective of exercise. It is also true that chronic over-exercising is damaging (though, again, not necessarily permanent damage). One of the mechanisms there is hormonal imbalance. Over-exercising causes adrenal fatigue and chronic overproduction of cortisol. Consider the difference in physique of the typical marathon runner (chronic over-exerciser) and a sprinter such as Usain Bolt (high-intensity, infrequent training).

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I believe hypoxia refers to oxygen levels in the bloodstream/supplied to tissues, rather than to shortness of breath per se. But, yes: autophagy is real, and the study of its potential/likely benefits is fascinating.

Also, I don't believe it always to be true that exercise creates muscle damage. It can, but it doesn't always do so - and achieving such damage is not necessarily a useful/beneficial objective of exercise. It is also true that chronic over-exercising is damaging (though, again, not necessarily permanent damage). One of the mechanisms there is hormonal imbalance. Over-exercising causes adrenal fatigue and chronic overproduction of cortisol. Consider the difference in physique of the typical marathon runner (chronic over-exerciser) and a sprinter such as Usain Bolt (high-intensity, infrequent training).
    I once knew a gal that was over exercising on a step machine and ended up with physical injuries. I over did it doing free weight squats and ended up with quad tendinitis in one knee and rotator cuff tendinitis doing a different exercise.

I am now so much older so don’t overdo anything except maybe watching Netflix. LOL

Top Bottom