• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    We all have those periods. Not just days. Sometimes weeks.

I think one key is to not totally abandon ALL the good habits.

For roughly 6 weeks, due to my arthritis, I pretty much skipped my exercising. Maybe out of that whole time period I got in a couple workouts instead of every day workouts. Some days I didn't care. Essentially I did ZERO exercise for a month and a half.

But I tried to maintain a good diet. There were holidays during that same period and I allowed myself "guilt free" days while trying not to be a glutton.

I avoided drive thru windows. Nothing healthy to eat comes through the car window. I spend a lot of time in the car and I pass a lot of tempting food. It is my bane.

Good luck with your personal issues, I hope they have been resolved. It's good that you are getting back on track. Put it behind you. Any improvement is an improvement, so take the tiny victories when you can't follow you plans and realize that every small step forward is still progress toward your goal.

Thanks for the support!!!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Been awfully quiet around here the last few days. Finally starting to get back into my routine, got a solid workout in this afternoon, and plan on being out hiking tomorrow. Those last couple pounds from Christmas are hanging on for dear life :wallbash:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Been awfully quiet around here the last few days. Finally starting to get back into my routine, got a solid workout in this afternoon, and plan on being out hiking tomorrow. Those last couple pounds from Christmas are hanging on for dear life :wallbash:
    I'm doing my best to "close my rings" every day but the arthritis flare ups have been putting a crimp into serious workouts. Only closed them 5 of 7 of the past days. Some days I just barely close them. Other days I do pretty well.

Sticking with 1850 calories as my maximum calorie intake. Daughter's birthday was yesterday so I probably was in the 2200 calorie range, I stopped counting but ate some higher calorie food than I normally would include in my intake.

I have noticed that I used to over-eat. Even through the holidays I did not over eat at meals. I'm no longer eating that "last piece" of pie. Nor am I "cleaning my plate" if I am already full. Honestly I don't even think about it anymore. I used to pound it down. Then I started to think I didn't need that next bite. Then I just sort of stopped. So that is a newer habit that seems to be helpful.

AND THE BEST NEWS IS . . .

I'm wearing size 32 waist Wrangler strait cut pants today. Didn't even have to suck in my gut to button them up. They feel comfortable. When I went to college (late 1970's) I work size 33" waist pants (they don't even make those anymore???). So I am now skinnier than when I met my wife.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm doing my best to "close my rings" every day but the arthritis flare ups have been putting a crimp into serious workouts. Only closed them 5 of 7 of the past days. Some days I just barely close them. Other days I do pretty well.

Sticking with 1850 calories as my maximum calorie intake. Daughter's birthday was yesterday so I probably was in the 2200 calorie range, I stopped counting but ate some higher calorie food than I normally would include in my intake.

I have noticed that I used to over-eat. Even through the holidays I did not over eat at meals. I'm no longer eating that "last piece" of pie. Nor am I "cleaning my plate" if I am already full. Honestly I don't even think about it anymore. I used to pound it down. Then I started to think I didn't need that next bite. Then I just sort of stopped. So that is a newer habit that seems to be helpful.

AND THE BEST NEWS IS . . .

I'm wearing size 32 waist Wrangler strait cut pants today. Didn't even have to suck in my gut to button them up. They feel comfortable. When I went to college (late 1970's) I work size 33" waist pants (they don't even make those anymore???). So I am now skinnier than when I met my wife.
    Congratulations, I think the healthy habits are the best thing you can develop, I’ve noticed the same, I just kinda stop eating without thinking about it, I don’t wait on that full belly feeling.
    I could be in a 34 comfortably right now, but I don’t think I could comfortably carry my pistol inside my waistband so I’m just staying with the 36, but I’m also skinnier now than any point since my very early 20’s, I also weigh more so I guess the weight lifting has worked ;)

Hopefully next week will be back to normal at work and I’ll be able to keep my routine going, I noticed I felt a little weak on a few lifts after a week off.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I was glad to get through the size 33 waist. You're right; they are near-impossible to find.

I'm also amazed at the inconsistency of cut at a given waist size in this range. I'm anywhere from 30" to 32" waist jeans/pants. (Currently I'm wearing 31" waist jeans from Old Navy - who, surprisingly to me, makes very good quality, reasonably priced jeans?)

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I was glad to get through the size 33 waist. You're right; they are near-impossible to find.

I'm also amazed at the inconsistency of cut at a given waist size in this range. I'm anywhere from 30" to 32" waist jeans/pants. (Currently I'm wearing 31" waist jeans from Old Navy - who, surprisingly to me, makes very good quality, reasonably priced jeans?)
    Some jeans, like dickies, seem to either be to small if I size down, or clown pants if I go up a size. I don’t understand why we have to make everything so difficult, just make a size 34 the same across all brands :dunno:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Only got in a smidge over 6 miles this morning, but I hit a new personal best mile time with no running, 14.06. I’ve noticed my lately my mile time is trending down and so is my heart rate, it used to be fairly consistent in the upper 120’s not I’m going faster and it’s consistently less than 120, usually around 110 unless I am running some of the hills. I also have noticed that sucking wind in this cold weather is painful and no fun!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . I'm also amazed at the inconsistency of cut at a given waist size in this range. I'm anywhere from 30" to 32" waist jeans/pants. . . .
    The reason I typically state my size + the BRAND name is because some brands run big, others run smaller.

I consistently wear Wrangle brand simply because I know they fit, demin, canvas or synthetic all seem to fit me the same because Wrangler seems to be consistent in their cuts.

Dockers are always on the very loose end of the size spectrum and typically in the same size as another brand will literally fall off me.

Some jeans, like dickies, seem to either be to small if I size down, or clown pants if I go up a size. I don’t understand why we have to make everything so difficult, just make a size 34 the same across all brands :dunno:
    That would be too easy!!!

Besides the brands that run 'loose' pioneered the concept of vanity sizing. People who don't want to size up to a 38 can wear a 36 if they switch brands.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    That would be too easy!!!

Besides the brands that run 'loose' pioneered the concept of vanity sizing. People who don't want to size up to a 38 can wear a 36 if they switch brands.
    I’ve got a pair wrangler cowboy cut jeans that are a 35, can’t hardly button them, got another pair in 36 that are fairly loose. I think they just slap a tag on them and don’t bother seeing which size they actually are.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Lots of foster son stress today. A bit too much bourbon. Snacked on gyros. Then on fried chicken. Choc covered pretzels.

Each of us has a bad day. Today was my day from hell! Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Hopefully none of you have these issues. Whatever the scales says tomorrow can’t be changed tonight. I might be startling over. So be it. 1 bad day will not define me.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Lots of foster son stress today. A bit too much bourbon. Snacked on gyros. Then on fried chicken. Choc covered pretzels.

Each of us has a bad day. Today was my day from hell! Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Hopefully none of you have these issues. Whatever the scales says tomorrow can’t be changed tonight. I might be startling over. So be it. 1 bad day will not define me.
    I caved yesterday too. I did well up until dinner, but pizza won. I even washed it down with a Coke. That was the first soft-drink I've had in eight months, and I have to say I felt like crap when I woke up this morning. I can only assume it was the sugar assault from last night. Went to the gym and hit the weights and that seems to have brought me out of my funk.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    On the bright side, eating a bunch of crap food must have opened up a proverbial flood gate.

This morning I pooped a rock hard poop. Then I had a normal poo a while later. Then about 2 minutes after that my stomach rumbled a bit. Dashed off to the bathroom and had a bowl filling experience that left an island of poo above the waterline. Pretty sure I blacked out. Heard angles singing overhead. Thought I was being called home for eternal rest.

After 5 months of healthy eating my bowels must have gone into shock and revolted. I need smaller pants now.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    On the bright side, eating a bunch of crap food must have opened up a proverbial flood gate.

This morning I pooped a rock hard poop. Then I had a normal poo a while later. Then about 2 minutes after that my stomach rumbled a bit. Dashed off to the bathroom and had a bowl filling experience that left an island of poo above the waterline. Pretty sure I blacked out. Heard angles singing overhead. Thought I was being called home for eternal rest.

After 5 months of healthy eating my bowels must have gone into shock and revolted. I need smaller pants now.
    Been a few days since I had one of those. I could use one!

Top Bottom