• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Amazon had a great day and already delivered some hooks for the resistance bands. WOW that was quick. I've installed them on the wall, on some trim.

These are designed specifically for resistance training by physical therapists, work with all types of bands, cords, etc. Overpriced, but they seem like they will work easily with anything, without much messing about.

Barely noticeable there unless the bands are hanging from them (it helps that the wood trim is dark brown and the hooks are black). Not testing them out tonight because my muscles are already sore and I want to let my body recover.

Also got a poster that shows a bunch of different exercises for the bands. It was under $6 so I splurged for it because I'd have never thought of most of the things shown on the poster, and how they would work the various muscles.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Oh crap who thought resistance bands were a good idea? :scratch:

My upper body feels like I got run over by a stampeding herd of cattle. What the actual **** did I do to myself? It was only a 10 minute session. Clearly a 10 minute session is about 8 minutes too long. I have pain in muscles I didn’t know existed.

Did they use these to torture prisoners and peasants in dungeons in the Middle Ages?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Right now, my upper body exercise is raking leaves.

This is not to make fun of anyone in particular but this happened to me when I was in School. A young married man at the end of the street was a fitness guy, always flexing, married to a cute wife and drove a new Green '69 RoadRunner. Definitely the cool guy on the block. Every time it snowed, his wife would call me to shovel the drive, and could I get to it right away, as the husband needed to get to the health club. I thought that was the funniest thing I heard back then, and it still makes me chuckle.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Right now, my upper body exercise is raking leaves.

This is not to make fun of anyone in particular but this happened to me when I was in School. A young married man at the end of the street was a fitness guy, always flexing, married to a cute wife and drove a new Green '69 RoadRunner. Definitely the cool guy on the block. Every time it snowed, his wife would call me to shovel the drive, and could I get to it right away, as the husband needed to get to the health club. I thought that was the funniest thing I heard back then, and it still makes me chuckle.
    Shoveling snow is a heck of a cardio workout! The cute lady helps keep you motivated :lmfao:

Reactions: Leo

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Can't poop. I am so backed up right now, I wouldnt be surprised if I'm up 5 lb tomorrow. I think I developed a hemorrhoid just trying to push something out. So dinner consisted of yogurt, an apple, and a bowl of brown rice, black beans and Rotel tomatoes. I feel like **** because I'm full of ****.

On a positive note, once I get this all through me, the scale is gonna love me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Can't poop. . .
    I found that when I switched away from a protein/fat based diet to a low calorie (under 1700/day) heavily plant based with fish as my main source of protein diet that my regular 2 or 3 times a day routine changed to 1 time every other day.

There are occasional days when I take a stool softener.
    This has been going on for several months now, I hope my body adjusts.
    On the bright side I'm now wearing size 34 pants and they are not tight. I was pushing 38's.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    When I get stuck at a weight, I tend to dive deep into my other metrics. There has been a discussion on thread that we should NOT look at our scales because it can be DEmotivating. What I find is that the OTHER metrics are very motivating. So when I see my weight stall for a bit I look to see what my body is doing and see that I'm still getting healthier.

I hit a plateau at roughly 179/180#. Bouncing around this weight since October 15.

Using the Body Mass Index, I officially dropped under "overweight" on October 13 and have remained in the "healthy" range since that date, even if only by a couple of ounces.

I also am looking at additional HEALTH factors like my Blood Pressure, which is mildly trending lower, and is experiencing fewer highs. So the blood pressure range is more stable and the pressures are slightly dropping.

My Average Heart Rate is also dropping. In August my typical heart rate was between 80 and 90 beats per minute. By October my typical heart rate has been between 65 and 70. So again, showing improvement and also a narrower band.

My Withings "Health Mate" app assigns a "fitness level" which it is based on Blood Oxygen levels during exercise, recovery rates, various resting levels; not sure all the metrics involved. I started out with a "fitness level" of 22. I am now at 34. Good considering my heart's arterial blockage. In perspective, the average 25 year old has a rating of 46 and the average 45 year old has a rating of 42. I'm 62 with a rating of 34, which is slightly low for my age, but I'm trending upward.

AppleHealth gives me a Cardio Fitness level. It puts me at a 34 and says I have been "Above Average" since late September. Prior to that I was "Below Average"

My "Cardio Recovery" or "Heart Recovery" rate is dropping nicely. From peak exercise to normal, I was averaging a 27 beat per minute drop, but now I'm averaging 19bpm drop.

Resting Heart Rate is hovering near 55-60 beats per minute, down from roughly 75 to 90 beats per minute.

My point in all this is, if you have a fitness tracker or smart scale, or both, look beyond your weight, especially when you get stuck at a plateau. There is a lot of amazing tech, some is really cheap, that reads all sorts of health metrics that may motivate you to continue. It works for me.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    When I get stuck at a weight, I tend to dive deep into my other metrics. There has been a discussion on thread that we should NOT look at our scales because it can be DEmotivating. What I find is that the OTHER metrics are very motivating. So when I see my weight stall for a bit I look to see what my body is doing and see that I'm still getting healthier.

I hit a plateau at roughly 179/180#. Bouncing around this weight since October 15.

Using the Body Mass Index, I officially dropped under "overweight" on October 13 and have remained in the "healthy" range since that date, even if only by a couple of ounces.

I also am looking at additional HEALTH factors like my Blood Pressure, which is mildly trending lower, and is experiencing fewer highs. So the blood pressure range is more stable and the pressures are slightly dropping.

My Average Heart Rate is also dropping. In August my typical heart rate was between 80 and 90 beats per minute. By October my typical heart rate has been between 65 and 70. So again, showing improvement and also a narrower band.

My Withings "Health Mate" app assigns a "fitness level" which it is based on Blood Oxygen levels during exercise, recovery rates, various resting levels; not sure all the metrics involved. I started out with a "fitness level" of 22. I am now at 34. Good considering my heart's arterial blockage. In perspective, the average 25 year old has a rating of 46 and the average 45 year old has a rating of 42. I'm 62 with a rating of 34, which is slightly low for my age, but I'm trending upward.

AppleHealth gives me a Cardio Fitness level. It puts me at a 34 and says I have been "Above Average" since late September. Prior to that I was "Below Average"

My "Cardio Recovery" or "Heart Recovery" rate is dropping nicely. From peak exercise to normal, I was averaging a 27 beat per minute drop, but now I'm averaging 19bpm drop.

Resting Heart Rate is hovering near 55-60 beats per minute, down from roughly 75 to 90 beats per minute.

My point in all this is, if you have a fitness tracker or smart scale, or both, look beyond your weight, especially when you get stuck at a plateau. There is a lot of amazing tech, some is really cheap, that reads all sorts of health metrics that may motivate you to continue. It works for me.
    This got me thinking about my other health factors. Before I started this journey, I would get height heart rate notifications at least once a month from my Apple Watch. That’s a resting heart rate over 120. I started focusing on my health 2 months ago, and have seen some significant changes. I feel better overall, my clothes are fitting more loosely, I have more energy, and my wife says I don’t snore as much. FYI, my doctor had ordered me a sleep study last year to check for sleep apnea. I never went, but started focusing on my health instead. Last physical, I was pre-diabetic, and moderately elevated cholesterol. I’m excited for my next physical in February to see what has changed.

7D0FFD08-1071-4403-83EF-72D5DACAC7F9.png

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    This got me thinking about my other health factors. Before I started this journey, I would get height heart rate notifications at least once a month from my Apple Watch. That’s a resting heart rate over 120. I started focusing on my health 2 months ago, and have seen some significant changes. I feel better overall, my clothes are fitting more loosely, I have more energy, and my wife says I don’t snore as much. FYI, my doctor had ordered me a sleep study last year to check for sleep apnea. I never went, but started focusing on my health instead. Last physical, I was pre-diabetic, and moderately elevated cholesterol. I’m excited for my next physical in February to see what has changed.

View attachment 234159
    CONGRATS on your progress! Great to see this and I hope there are more of us who post this type of stuff.

Dropping a pants size, or two, might be a good goal, but living longer and getting healthier in multiple ways seems like a great goal.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    This month will be a "rest" month for me. By rest I mean no heavy low rep lifting. I'll be doing tiny weights like 10s and 15s for higher reps just to get the muscle tight. Do that for a few sets with decent rest in between sets. Light cardio on the treadmill a few days a week. Doing this to maintain muscle gains from last few months. Calorie intake will be decreased by a few hundred calories a day and will still consist of mainly protein. Then December and January will be gains season again. Increase calories and lifting heavy with fewer reps. Gonna be changing some exercises with the dumbbells to keep my muscles from developing movement memory

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I didn't do it. I opted for a bourbon instead.

Bourbon has the same calories as a banana.

Choose wisely.

BTW, here is my workout space in the basement.
    • Nautilus U616 exercise bike
    • Horizon 7.0 treadmill
    • Fitness Reality 4000MR rowing machine
    YES, I do have to lift the rowing machine's seat rail to open the door to exit out to the patio.

Dumbbells are various brands. Pairs of 15, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4 pound weights.

On the opposite wall, at the entry to the basement family room, are 3 "Bob & Brad" brand wall anchors for resistance bands. 1 mounted high, 2nd at chest level, 3rd about 6" above the floor. $32 for plastic bits + 6 wood screws. Over priced. But designed very nicely, works will all types of bands. Bands can be locked into the wall anchors, or allowed to slide, etc. Rated for 800# of pull strength.

Resistance bands are a cheap set of "Pilates bands" from Amazon, that included a Bar, a door anchor (not in the photo) and a set of hand grips/foot holds. Pilates bands look to be identical to power lifting resistance bands, but cost less, I dunno why. 20#, 30# and 40# bands were included in the set.

The poster set on the wall was $5.95. 940FAFAD-ED4E-40E9-B6D5-A9CFDF8666F3.jpeg 3320F1FC-25FC-4000-A40D-0AE610905B10.jpeg

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I didn't do it. I opted for a bourbon instead.

Bourbon has the same calories as a banana.

Choose wisely.

BTW, here is my workout space in the basement.
    • Nautilus U616 exercise bike
    • Horizon 7.0 treadmill
    • Fitness Reality 4000MR rowing machine
    YES, I do have to lift the rowing machine's seat rail to open the door to exit out to the patio.

Dumbbells are various brands. Pairs of 15, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4 pound weights.

On the opposite wall, at the entry to the basement family room, are 3 "Bob & Brad" brand wall anchors for resistance bands. 1 mounted high, 2nd at chest level, 3rd about 6" above the floor. $32 for plastic bits + 6 wood screws. Over priced. But designed very nicely, works will all types of bands. Bands can be locked into the wall anchors, or allowed to slide, etc. Rated for 800# of pull strength.

Resistance bands are a cheap set of "Pilates bands" from Amazon, that included a Bar, a door anchor (not in the photo) and a set of hand grips/foot holds. Pilates bands look to be identical to power lifting resistance bands, but cost less, I dunno why. 20#, 30# and 40# bands were included in the set.

The poster set on the wall was $5.95. View attachment 234460 View attachment 234461
    I might look into resistance bands, I’ve been toying with the idea of making my own rack to do pull ups and add a couple pulleys to do face pulls, pull downs, etc. wouldn’t be hard to build something, but the price of lumber is :faint:

Top Bottom