• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Been completely unmotivated the last few weeks, just groggy, and not feeling real energized like normal. I’m kinda wondering if one of my heathen children didn’t give me that RSV virus that’s been going around. We were all sick about three weeks ago, haven’t heard of any long lasting effects of it?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Just curious, but what equipment do you own (if you own any)?

Do you go to a gym?

What do you actually use? What do you find works for you? What is boring as hell and drudgery to use?

NONE of my machines require a subscription. I've noticed recently that some machines only offer features if you pay a monthly fee.

We have, and I actually use:
    • Treadmill, motorized, mid-grade, with some built programs
    • Exercise Bike, magnetic resistance, mid-grade, with some some programs
    • Rowing Machine, magnetic resistance, about $600, with some built in programs
    • Dumb Bells, 2 of each: 1#, 2#, 4#, 5#, 6# 8#, 10#, 15#
    We also have: (not currently used:
    • Nordic Track elipical machine, (ancient model) currently stuffed away in our furnace room
    • Resistance Bands, set of 3, I need to figure out what to do with them, my wife used to use them
    The equipment is all facing a large screen TV set, I find that I rotate across the treadmill, bike and rower depending on my mood, muscle soreness, body aches, etc. I find all 3 to be good for me but I rarely use more than 2 machines a day.

The treadmill is sort of my default machine when I am not really up to a hard workout, but it has some pretty good programs built in that kick my arse when I'm up for a challenge.

Rowing machine (since I upgraded) really works me out hard. I think it gives me a good all body workout. I enjoy it. But 20 minutes is pretty much my maximum.

Exercise bike is the closest machine to a torture device for me. I often will grab 4, 5 or 6# dumb bells and ride a "hilly course" at a moderate speed while pumping, extended, or am otherwise active with the weights. No weights at higher speed/intensity workouts. My butt hurts after using it. And it supposedly has the upgraded seat???

YMCA membership ... My wife frequently goes for the water fitness classes. I've gone a few times, they have great equipment, but it is a 30 minute drive each direction so I prefer my home stuff.

I've got a gym membership. I like having access to a varitey of equipment. I use barbells and dumbbells. They've got machines for chest, back, legs, shoulders, and arms. They've also got cable machines I can adjust to work out different body parts. They have treadmills, elliptical machines, bikes, and stair machines. I only use the treadmill, but have thought about trying the elliptical just to see what it's about.

They have other things too like kettlebells, resistance bands, and ab wheels, but I use those sparingly.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Been completely unmotivated the last few weeks, just groggy, and not feeling real energized like normal. I’m kinda wondering if one of my heathen children didn’t give me that RSV virus that’s been going around. We were all sick about three weeks ago, haven’t heard of any long lasting effects of it?
    I have been dealing with a sciatic nerve for about a week. My back hurt so bad yesterday morning I laid back down for two hours, which I NEVER do. It felt a little better when I got back up, and I eventually felt good enough to do some cardio, but no weights.

Today, I can't believe how good it feels. I went from almost crippling pain to darn near perfect in 24 hours. This a weird thing that hits me once every year or two. I'll probably baby my back until the weekend, and if it still feels this good, I'll get back to a more regular weight lifting routine.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I have been dealing with a sciatic nerve for about a week. My back hurt so bad yesterday morning I laid back down for two hours, which I NEVER do. It felt a little better when I got back up, and I eventually felt good enough to do some cardio, but no weights.

Today, I can't believe how good it feels. I went from almost crippling pain to darn near perfect in 24 hours. This a weird thing that hits me once every year or two. I'll probably baby my back until the weekend, and if it still feels this good, I'll get back to a more regular weight lifting routine.
    I work with a guy that has the same back problem, once every couple months he takes a day off, then comes back hobbling around for a couple days, looks like it’s a real bear to deal with. I feel ok lifting, but hiking yesterday just wore me out, and it really shouldn’t have, I was hiking with my son, so we were going slow, I don’t know, I might take a few days off and just relax, just kinda see how I feel throughout the week.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    IAirOI4.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    How do you screw up a weight loss trend?

Go into the kitchen for a light snack of celery at 9pm and leave after you finished 2 pork chops.

Don't bother weighing yourself the following morning, you will be twice as disappointed with yourself.
    :facepalm: Glad I wasn’t the only one! Wife made homemade pizza last night, and my lunch tasted horrible so I didn’t bother eating it, I was starving, I lost control… it wasn’t pretty!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Seems like there's currently a trend with us. We're all having moments of weakness with food, and we're desperately trying to stay motivated. Wonder if its the weather or time of year. My biggest personal concern is if I'm struggling now, have mercy on me come November and December. Good luck everyone getting refocused.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Seems like there's currently a trend with us. We're all having moments of weakness with food, and we're desperately trying to stay motivated. Wonder if its the weather or time of year. My biggest personal concern is if I'm struggling now, have mercy on me come November and December. Good luck everyone getting refocused.
    I am curious if the lack of daylight is triggering something primal in us, like our brain is doing some caveman grunts “must eat, must fatten for winter ugh ugh”

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    How do you screw up a weight loss trend?

Go into the kitchen for a light snack of celery at 9pm and leave after you finished 2 pork chops.

Don't bother weighing yourself the following morning, you will be twice as disappointed with yourself.
    I don't see anything wrong with that. But the pizza Frosty ate? Yeah, not the best choice. I'm guilty of getting ready for bed and going to the cabinet in the kitchen to take my supplements and just so happens to be a huge plastic jug of gummy bears sitting there staring at me. Yeah, I cave

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    On the bright side I went to that high fashion clothing store in town called Tractor Supply Co. Bought a couple pairs of Wrangler size 34, SLIM FIT pants and blue jeans. They feel better with a belt on.

I have a closet full of pants that look like CLOWN CLOTHES when I wear them!
    Congratulations! I was wearing a 34 last December, but not with a gun, I’ve been in a 36 for a little over a year, Jean sizes are so weird from one brand to another but a 36 seems to be just right for me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Jean sizes are weird, which is why I buy Wrangler brand. I know how they fit. Dockers brand seem to run larger than most. Lee jeans used to run similar to Wrangler but I've not bought them in a few years.

70 minutes of exercise today split between the treadmill and rowing machine and some work with 10# dumb bells. Trying to build my left arm a bit to catch up with my right arm, but I can't seem to get there. Left arm fails far quicker.

Ate a bit too much today. High stress here. Our 2 year old part time foster son has been with us for almost 3 straight weeks. His grandmother got sick so we didn't do our normal schedule of sharing him. He ended up catching RSV and was almost hospitalized, so it has been round-the-clock care. My wife is stressed out, lack of sleep. The house is on edge. So eating habits have been bad for about a week. Not horrible. But still too many calories most days. Fortunately he is starting to feel better and so is his grandmother so we should be able to take a break from being parents for a few days.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    On the bright side I went to that high fashion clothing store in town called Tractor Supply Co. Bought a couple pairs of Wrangler size 34, SLIM FIT pants and blue jeans. They feel better with a belt on.

I have a closet full of pants that look like CLOWN CLOTHES when I wear them!

Most of my clothes are getting too baggy to wear too. I'm dropping weight too fast to pop for anything really nice, so I'm shopping the discount rack until I get to my weight goal.

Just to throw this out, if anyone is looking for a super comfortable pair of jeans, I discovered Duluth Ballroom Doubleflex Jeans. They're expensive, but if you wait until they've got a sale going, it doesn't sting quite as bad.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Somehow, and I have no clue how, I am back down to 180.5#. For the past several days I've been gaining about a 1/2 pound a day. Pretty sure that is the baby stress factor that was doing that. But yesterday was triple stress and I ate a half dozen White Castle burgers, but still managed to drop 2 pounds overnight!!!

Baby up at 4am for a breathing treatment this morning. He is finally back to sleep. Going to start with some dumb bells this morning. Then move onto the machines. Not motivated today.

Got dinner reservations and a 'birthday date' with our foreign exchange daughter. Our birthdays are the same day, 41 years apart. Actual date was earlier this month, she was traveling over school break. So dinner will be Friday night.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Somehow, and I have no clue how, I am back down to 180.5#. For the past several days I've been gaining about a 1/2 pound a day. Pretty sure that is the baby stress factor that was doing that. But yesterday was triple stress and I ate a half dozen White Castle burgers, but still managed to drop 2 pounds overnight!!!

Baby up at 4am for a breathing treatment this morning. He is finally back to sleep. Going to start with some dumb bells this morning. Then move onto the machines. Not motivated today.

Got dinner reservations and a 'birthday date' with our foreign exchange daughter. Our birthdays are the same day, 41 years apart. Actual date was earlier this month, she was traveling over school break. So dinner will be Friday night.

One thing I’ve found as I’ve been trying to lose weight is this…

The days where I absolutely kill it, low calories, lots of vegetables, workout was great, I feel good. I end up gaining a pound or 2.

The days where I think I screwed it all up, didn’t close my rings, had a bowl of ice cream and a brownie, and Chinese takeout, I drop 2 lbs.

Nothing makes sense. Just gotta stick to it when you can and don’t beat yourself when you didn’t have as good of a day as you wanted. It will all even out in the end.

Aww screw it. I’m going to Chik-fil-A.

Top Bottom