BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    TVs used to be a major investment.
    Households often had ONE.

My first job in High School was at Hooks Drugs (Southway Plaza in Muncie). One thing I did was to operate the "Tube Tester". People would bring in vacuum tubes from their TVs, sometimes a whole bag full, and I would plug them into the board on top of the machine and test them. If the tube was bad, they'd pay between $3.00 and $15.00 for a new one.

Or, if you were made of money, you just called the repairman who would come to your house and fix your TV for you.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.

Now I hear people say how poor they are.
    And I see them with 5 TVs in their house. Cable. DVRs. DVDs. Cell phones. etc.

The Lions Club with local churches deliver food baskets at Christmas. They are full meals for 6-8 people, not cheap. When delivering them I often see the "poor" people on a new iPhone watching football on a 60" tv with a beer .

Don

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The Lions Club with local churches deliver food baskets at Christmas. They are full meals for 6-8 people, not cheap. When delivering them I often see the "poor" people on a new iPhone watching football on a 60" tv with a beer .

Don
    Had a house where the tenant was like that. She had a big screen TV when that wasn't a thing. Got gov handouts galore. Her baby daddy parked his Escalade in the side drive. That thing was worth more than the house twice over.

Ended up selling the place just to get away from it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Had a house where the tenant was like that. She had a big screen TV when that wasn't a thing. Got gov handouts galore. Her baby daddy parked his Escalade in the side drive. That thing was worth more than the house twice over.

Ended up selling the place just to get away from it.
    Wonder if that was our old neighbor? Various Rent-a-Center places were routinely delivering, and then repossessing TVs, stereos, and furniture. They had different leased fancy cars every couple of months. Constantly pooling SNAP cards to get food, but never seemed to run out of cash for alcohol and tobacco (and drugs). Utilities got cut off and reconnected (in a new name) every few months. I know they went w/o heat and hot water for 3 months once, until they got someone's brother's girlfriend to put the gas in her name. I think the city finally took possession of the house and evicted everyone, when the owner's (the tenant's sister) property taxes finally caught up with her. She owned a bunch of dilapidated rentals, and used the rent to fund a McMansion in Carmel, but didn't pay property taxes (or the mortgages) on much of anything until forced. Finally ran out of money to shuffle around.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Now I hear people say how poor they are.
    And I see them with 5 TVs in their house. Cable. DVRs. DVDs. Cell phones. etc.

First five years we were married, the wife and I did not own a TV. When our daughter was two years old, my Mom gave us one because she thought we were depriving our child. Many years later and we still only have one small TV. Just not a priority for us. We would rather sit around and talk to each other.

Groucho Marx.jpg troubled-marriage-quotes-groucho-marx-quotes.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom