Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Have you ever been to a drive up ATM that had braille? I have. Bunch of people going to be looking next time they go to one, too.

In college we had a bank manager come in to talk to us in whatever class, and at the end where we were allowed (supposed) to ask questions, I asked why do drive up ATM's have braille on the keys. She was dumbfounded, kind of looked like she did not believe me. But she was the manager of my bank and I knew it were true at the bank she managed. Within a month the drive up ATM's were changed out. I thought that was kind of funny.

Because the same ATMs are used on sidewalks in cities.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Stopped at a light a couple of years ago. Behind a Harley, big bike, .....with handicapped plates.

Try as I might, can't wrap my head around this one. If you can handle a heavy motorcycle, you should be able to support yourself physically and walk.

Don
    I took a picture of a guy riding a bike with handicap plates. He stopped at a light to fire up his cigarette, then took off again. I asked everyone I could what kind of handicap would get you plates on a motorcycle where you were still safe to operate it.

No valid answers were supplied.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have to admit that my father, when he was still living, had handicap plates on his Honda Helix scooter.

He had planter fasciitis and could barely walk, but could hold up the scooter for some time before his passing.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    There is a plumber in town with handicap plates on his work vehicle. Also, when will people realize that the plate is for the handicapped driver, NOT the car. I know someone with legitimate handicap plates on his car who constantly lends his car to his kids and grandkids so that they can get “preferred parking” at concerts, sporting events, hotels, and stores.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Have you ever been to a drive up ATM that had braille? I have. Bunch of people going to be looking next time they go to one, too.

In college we had a bank manager come in to talk to us in whatever class, and at the end where we were allowed (supposed) to ask questions, I asked why do drive up ATM's have braille on the keys. She was dumbfounded, kind of looked like she did not believe me. But she was the manager of my bank and I knew it were true at the bank she managed. Within a month the drive up ATM's were changed out. I thought that was kind of funny.
    I always wondered about this and came to the conclusion that it might be useful if you were blind drunk and needed to use the ATM. :joke:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Sometimes those handicap plates are just a political perk doled out to people that know the right people.
    Really...
    My doctor had to sign off on my placard.

A friend of my late wife who passed away a month after Mrs. IBM did had a handicap placard because she used to transport her mom around because she did not have a vehicle, her husband would routinely pop the placard on the mirror and walk into the grocery store wearing his softball uniform and wearing cleats, no attempt to hide it.

Personally I think anyone using a Handicap spot illegally should get their car towed and pay a hefty fine. I can get by on walking a little bit farther from the door when I go in, but because of a left leg that's not fully operational I get tired very fast and need to save every step on the return trip. Over the last 3.5 years I have greatly improved, but everyday life is not without challenges.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Met a guy once parked and checking out something on his bike, nothing wrong just waiting on wife inside store. But I did get to check out a beautiful hardtail 1947 Knuckle head. Don't remember looking at his plates but he was missing his left arm at the elbow. Know another that rides and haven't seen him but I think he did have HP, he has a wooden leg below the knee, walks with a limp but not that obvious. Jim.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Really...
    My doctor had to sign off on my placard.

A friend of my late wife who passed away a month after Mrs. IBM did had a handicap placard because she used to transport her mom around because she did not have a vehicle, her husband would routinely pop the placard on the mirror and walk into the grocery store wearing his softball uniform and wearing cleats, no attempt to hide it.

Personally I think anyone using a Handicap spot illegally should get their car towed and pay a hefty fine. I can get by on walking a little bit farther from the door when I go in, but because of a left leg that's not fully operational I get tired very fast and need to save every step on the return trip. Over the last 3.5 years I have greatly improved, but everyday life is not without challenges.
    Yes. Unfortunately, several friends of my late Uncle and Aunt in Frankfurt IL had the plates and the placard and they were openly telling others at a gathering how to get them and that they could use their names and they even made calls on their behalf. None of them had real handicap status.
    I can only hope it is better in other areas further away from the Chicago corruption.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I've heard that you can just buy the handicap plates if you want, cost an arm and a leg though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom