• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They will sell a boatload of them. And they'll do what buyers need them to do. Not everyone needs a Cummins dually.
    I agree. They have already "sold" over 100,000 of them and they are not even due out for awhile. These Mavericks are along the sizing of the original Ranger which was similar in dimensions to the S10.

And we all know how many Ranger's and S10's were sold over the years.

There was a lot of market feedback when the new Ranger came out that it was too large and buyers were looking for the old Ranger.

So Ford stepped up. Plus, without having cars in the lineup anymore, this gives them a lower cost Ford to buy. Hook them into the brand and if they decide they want more truck, there is a good chance it will be another Ford.

Virtually all of the current mid-size trucks come in around $40K and more. Full size trucks are way beyond the reach of a large segment of the population.

But a nicely equipped vehicle with a bed to do some light hauling for $30K? That's a good vehicle segment to have an offering.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    But a nicely equipped vehicle with a bed to do some light hauling for $30K? That's a good vehicle segment to have an offering.
    MSRP on an XL base model with FWD is $22,810. And that's with the EcoBoost 2.0 engine. I had a 2017 Escape that had the 2.0 EcoBoost, and that thing was really quick.

If someone wanted the cheapest option possible, MSRP on the base XL hybrid model is $19,995. Rated at 40 mpg!

MSRP $25,205 for an AWD EcoBoost model,which is what I would get if I wanted a mini pickup like the old S10/Ranger.

Even the base XL model is a really good looking little truck.

Maverick.PNG

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    MSRP on an XL base model with FWD is $22,810. And that's with the EcoBoost 2.0 engine. I had a 2017 Escape that had the 2.0 EcoBoost, and that thing was really quick.

If someone wanted the cheapest option possible, MSRP on the base XL hybrid model is $19,995. Rated at 40 mpg!

MSRP $25,205 for an AWD EcoBoost model,which is what I would get if I wanted a mini pickup like the old S10/Ranger.

View attachment 164885

Yeah, I priced out an XLT, AWD ecoboost with some other items and came up to $30,970 I believe. I thought that wasn't bad at for all the options I wanted.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

View attachment 164885

So wish it was body on frame instead of unibody.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Because where I go, the frame can take a bit of a beating while getting across some tracks and other barriers.

The old Ranger was well suited.

An F150 gets there, but a smaller vehicle is more useful.

I agree with what you stated earlier though...for most it will not matter. Heck, I have some degree of confidence in stating that most 4x4 trucks, Jeeps, etc. rarely see much beyond a gravel path...but I would not winch a unibody across much.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Saw a Badlands 4 door soft top parked in the lot for a week. Loved everything about except the turbo engine. I am a v8 guy but could even live with a high tech 6 but hate the idea of a turbo.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    With this discussion over new Fords, I have noticed a lot of the older Rangers on the road lately and they don't look bad.

Does anyone on here know a little about them? Are they decent little trucks? What it the used market like on them? Understanding how crazy things are right now, can one get a good buy on a used one?

If I was to look for a used one, anything I should look for? V-6? 4WD? Manual trans?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

View attachment 164885

I like these. If I could move to a small truck, this would be it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    With this discussion over new Fords, I have noticed a lot of the older Rangers on the road lately and they don't look bad.

Does anyone on here know a little about them? Are they decent little trucks? What it the used market like on them? Understanding how crazy things are right now, can one get a good buy on a used one?

If I was to look for a used one, anything I should look for? V-6? 4WD? Manual trans?

New Ranger is supposed to launch late next year as a 2023 model. The current "new" Ranger is an older global platform which is fairly old (but proven and a good midsize truck). With the new launch, expect prices on the current one to drop a bit. If you can wait, I would. Let the COVID crazy market die off and the new one to launch and prices should come down.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

I've had two Rangers, both 2WD 4 cylinders, and loved them both. '88 with the 5 speed overdrive, and '09 with an automatic. Hauled a lot of paper in those things, and they made me a lot of money without any complaints. 1000 pound loads (local driving) were a common occurrence.

I don't know the current market, but if you can find a clean used one, it should serve you well. The 6 cylinders are gas hogs, but if you opt for 4WD, you might want the extra power.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've had two Rangers, both 2WD 4 cylinders, and loved them both. '88 with the 5 speed overdrive, and '09 with an automatic. Hauled a lot of paper in those things, and they made me a lot of money without any complaints. 1000 pound loads (local driving) were a common occurrence.

I don't know the current market, but if you can find a clean used one, it should serve you well. The 6 cylinders are gas hogs, but if you opt for 4WD, you might want the extra power.

I did some reading on them at lunch today. I think I'd want a 1998-2011 gen model. Manual trans preferably. 4WD and V6 would be nice, but I'd take a 4 banger 2WD if the right deal came along.

I'd also like to find a rust free example if possible.

But like BBI says, I really need to wait until the market straightens out some. However, I need something sooner than when that will happen. Either a utility trailer or a truck. And I search for both and nice examples of either one are scarce.

Top Bottom