• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Pooty...With all due respect,folks like you seem to be unable to see the long term problems caused by legislation such as this.You are easily fooled by the supposed "benefit" based upon science that will probably prove to be false,and you welcome the chains that bind you ever more tightly.

You're right I don't see any long term problem with preventing food manufacturers from adding artificial ingredients that do nothing but harm those who eat it. Trust me, there are plenty of additives that the FDA still allows that are bad for you. I can provide a list of a few that other countries have banned that the FDA still allows if you'd like.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    The issue is that if I choose to eat it, I should be able to. If a sufficient number of people choose to eat it, I should be able to build a business around selling it to people. If the government bans things just because they're bad for you then why not ban cigarettes outright (answer: taxes) excessive alcohol consumption (taxes) or sales of candy (taxes, wrathful child marches tearing down the Capitol building) and most Fast-food products (taxes)? Why not let people make the determination (ooh, these are really bad for me) stop using them when/where they see fit, and eventually "ban" the sale of artificial trans fats by simple lack of demand?

I'm sure many people felt the same way when the government banned asbestos. Sure it was really good for what it was used for and sure it hurt certain manufacturers when it was banned, but the industry adapted and everyone is healthier and at a lower risk of its effects than if it were still legal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm sure many people felt the same way when the government banned asbestos. Sure it was really good for what it was used for and sure it hurt certain manufacturers when it was banned, but the industry adapted and everyone is healthier and at a lower risk of its effects than if it were still legal.

Not to be obtuse here, but so? The government's job isn't to ensure that people are healthy: that's the job of the people. It's one thing to require that anyone selling asbestos disclose any harmful effects, and pay for any harm caused by their materials. That's honest and open business practice. It's another to ban the use of a substance in food, clothing, buildings etc. because it is deemed unfit.

If humans were angels, so to speak, the idea of a government that looks out for people in this way would be laudable. But because the government honestly couldn't give a rat's behind whether I'm sick or not generally speaking, I don't trust a small group of people with the power to do things like this on a whim.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    You're right I don't see any long term problem with preventing food manufacturers from adding artificial ingredients that do nothing but harm those who eat it. Trust me, there are plenty of additives that the FDA still allows that are bad for you. I can provide a list of a few that other countries have banned that the FDA still allows if you'd like.

Well,at least you admit you are one of the sheeple that want .Gov to make decisions for you.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ah yes I must be a lesser being because I agree with something the government did.

Maybe he also believes that you're a lesser being, but what he said was that you belong to a class of people who wants government to make decisions for you and everyone else.

What if people like food with transfat? What if people don't really care about it? I'm not saying I don't, but what I care about is reflected in the choices I make. Why is it your or the government's business what people eat? Why must that choice be made for people? What else just as unhealthy or worse that needs to be banned? But then I can see where you might think it's your business. Healthcare is, after all, a shared expense. That makes what everyone does with their health every other person's business.

The class of people who wants THAT sound vary sheepish to me.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Maybe he also believes that you're a lesser being, but what he said was that you belong to a class of people who wants government to make decisions for you and everyone else.

What if people like food with transfat? What if people don't really care about it? I'm not saying I don't, but what I care about is reflected in the choices I make. Why is it your or the government's business what people eat? Why must that choice be made for people? What else just as unhealthy or worse that needs to be banned? But then I can see where you might think it's your business. Healthcare is, after all, a shared expense. That makes what everyone does with their health every other person's business.

The class of people who wants THAT sound vary sheepish to me.

If you've ever read The Jungle you'd understand why the government felt it necessary to hold food processors accountable for what goes into our food.

I think it's interesting that a few people have brought up that if people didn't want artificial trans fat in their food they would buy something else or ask manufacturers not to use it. Because of consumer demand, most food processors have already stopped using them and have switched to healthier options. So this ban isn't even really going to make a huge impact on the industry.

I'm sure there was a time when people thought they should be able to make the choice as to whether or not they could have lead paint and asbestos insulation in their homes and businesses, but banning those products has made everyone better off.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    An unelected bureaucracy with the power to ban anything it wants; do people not see the problem with that? We're not talking about creating another 18th Amendment here. We're not even talking about Congress passing another prohibition law. Its just some faceless 3-letter agency making a new rule that you have absolutely no say in.

Maybe you like this rule. Will you like the next rule? And the next one? It doesn't really matter. They decide, not you. You are ruled without representation, but an entity that isn't allowed in the constitution.

Next, a ban on 30% of the cigarettes on the market. Anything is fair game for a ban.

FDA considers latest prohibition boondoggle: banning menthol cigarettes | Police State USA

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ah yes I must be a lesser being because I agree with something the government did.

1385643_10153362874175515_52328522_n.jpg

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville

I do not really know anything about you as a person..you may mean well,and want to be helpful to your fellow Americans.You seem to be seriously deficient in your education concerning liberty ...

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you've ever read The Jungle you'd understand why the government felt it necessary to hold food processors accountable for what goes into our food.

I think it's interesting that a few people have brought up that if people didn't want artificial trans fat in their food they would buy something else or ask manufacturers not to use it. Because of consumer demand, most food processors have already stopped using them and have switched to healthier options. So this ban isn't even really going to make a huge impact on the industry.

I'm sure there was a time when people thought they should be able to make the choice as to whether or not they could have lead paint and asbestos insulation in their homes and businesses, but banning those products has made everyone better off.

The process for kosher certification is far more strict. It is also free market. You know that if it has certification that what the label says it has in it, that is all it has.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Why stop there? We need to be natural trans fats as well. Foods with natural trans fats are also high in saturated fat as well.

There really aren't many "natural trans fats". There are trace amounts of natural trans fats in some meat and dairy products, but not enough to have any effect on anything. Also I think you meant Unsaturated fat.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You realize you're making our point.

Top Bottom