• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Crisco makes newfangled citified cornbread for yankees and youngsters who don't know any better. I grew on real cornbread.

51HhWX3XdEL._SL1500_.jpg

Crisco. Pfft. Might as well sip a soy latte with your beans.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    What blows my mind is the FDA says ban this...ban that....

But they still allow salt peter in children's lunch meat products and other "treated" food. Its known to cause child leukemia and ibs/chrones disease in adults.

But hey! Gotta ban those big gulps and movie pop corns!

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    What blows my mind is the FDA says ban this...ban that....

But they still allow salt peter in children's lunch meat products and other "treated" food. Its known to cause child leukemia and ibs/chrones disease in adults.

Actually, most processed foods no longer use saltpeter, or potassium nitrate, as a preservative because sodium nitrate and nitrite have become more popular (Source: Potassium nitrate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I honestly couldn't find anything to back your claims of causing child leukemia or Chrones when ingested as a food preservative. According to the article, it's most commonly still used in the production of salami and corned beef.

From what I understand, the FDA has determined that it is beneficial to the health of everyone that artificial trans fats be banned. They literally provide no nutritional benefit, unless you consider increased risk of heart disease a benefit. By banning trans fats, the FDA predicts it could prevent up to 20,000 heart attacks per year. Considering how much most of the members here complain about the cost of health care, I would think that would be a good thing. But, then again, if the government does anything, most everyone here is going to complain.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ...............From what I understand, the FDA has determined that it is beneficial to the health of everyone that artificial trans fats be banned.............

Why stop there? We need to be natural trans fats as well. Foods with natural trans fats are also high in saturated fat as well.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Why stop there? We need to be natural trans fats as well. Foods with natural trans fats are also high in saturated fat as well.

Probably because artificial trans fats are man-made and have to be added to food whereas natural trans fats are, well, naturally occurring. I also didn't hear or read anything about the FDA attempting to ban natural trans fats.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Probably because artificial trans fats are man-made and have to be added to food whereas natural trans fats are, well, naturally occurring. I also didn't hear or read anything about the FDA attempting to ban natural trans fats.

Well, why not? They are bad right? I don't think we should have the choice. Come on FDA, think of the children.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Actually, most processed foods no longer use saltpeter, or potassium nitrate, as a preservative because sodium nitrate and nitrite have become more popular (Source: Potassium nitrate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I honestly couldn't find anything to back your claims of causing child leukemia or Chrones when ingested as a food preservative. According to the article, it's most commonly still used in the production of salami and corned beef.

From what I understand, the FDA has determined that it is beneficial to the health of everyone that artificial trans fats be banned. They literally provide no nutritional benefit, unless you consider increased risk of heart disease a benefit. By banning trans fats, the FDA predicts it could prevent up to 20,000 heart attacks per year. Considering how much most of the members here complain about the cost of health care, I would think that would be a good thing. But, then again, if the government does anything, most everyone here is going to complain.
    The problem is that this sets the stage that allows them to ban whatever they deem harmful. Salt, sugar, white flour, you name it. All of those will be put up on the chopping block, now. And the .gov will be telling us what we can and cannot eat. Care to show me where that power lies in the Constitution? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't appear anywhere int he document. This is an overstepping of boundaries.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Pooty...With all due respect,folks like you seem to be unable to see the long term problems caused by legislation such as this.You are easily fooled by the supposed "benefit" based upon science that will probably prove to be false,and you welcome the chains that bind you ever more tightly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

The issue is that if I choose to eat it, I should be able to. If a sufficient number of people choose to eat it, I should be able to build a business around selling it to people. If the government bans things just because they're bad for you then why not ban cigarettes outright (answer: taxes) excessive alcohol consumption (taxes) or sales of candy (taxes, wrathful child marches tearing down the Capitol building) and most Fast-food products (taxes)? Why not let people make the determination (ooh, these are really bad for me) stop using them when/where they see fit, and eventually "ban" the sale of artificial trans fats by simple lack of demand?

Top Bottom