• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Got it, a government forced retirement plan creates just what most of us here said all along. We of a certain age have paid in TRILLIONS and expect a return is government support...
    Support, I think you mean the "Support Thing" is those that get a SS check that never paid into the program to begin with.

Don't want to pay into Social Security you say? you have options that you missed out on.
    You could have been Amish or a Mennonite, some self employed don't pay, you could have worked overseas 11 months out of the year. You could have been a government or railroad worker. There are many options to avoid one paying into social security.
    The sad part is almost half of America has nothing saved for retirement, except what mom and dad leave them, and a Social Security check.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I really don't understand folks who replace "imaginary sky friends" with themselves. They think that the rules and proposed rules that they make for the rest of us are superior because they are superior beings? I'm just an old average guy. It's hard enough for me to hope that I'm doing the right things for me and my family most of the time, as well as, trying to treat others well, especially when they don't seem to want it or deserve it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Support, I think you mean the "Support Thing" is those that get a SS check that never paid into the program to begin with.

Don't want to pay into Social Security you say? you have options that you missed out on.
    You could have been Amish or a Mennonite, some self employed don't pay, you could have worked overseas 11 months out of the year. You could have been a government or railroad worker. There are many options to avoid one paying into social security.
    I intend to put a question mark at the end. No one that did not pay in should get paid out but folks that did damn well should get their return.

The sad part is almost half of America has nothing saved for retirement, except what mom and dad leave them, and a Social Security check.
    It is sad…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I intend to put a question mark at the end. No one that did not pay in should get paid out but folks that did damn well should get their return.

It is sad…
    The only person that I am aware of what they earned per month was one of my grandfathers, he earned a Union Pension as a Trolly car driver and then in 1964 he started driving buses in and around DC. He retired in 1972 or 73 as I was in JH school. In the middle 90's he told me his SS check was more each month, than the last years earnings driving a bus. He lived until he was 96, I would say he got a good return on the penny's Uncle Sam took from him and his employer each week all those years.

And like I've posted before, if it wasn't for Social Security, we would have a huge percentage of our population living in the streets at this time. We all know dozens of people that live on nothing but variants of SS, SSi and SSDi insurances. Its not going to get any better with the next few generations moving to that older age.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The only person that I am aware of what they earned per month was one of my grandfathers, he earned a Union Pension as a Trolly car driver and then in 1964 he started driving buses in and around DC. He retired in 1972 or 73 as I was in JH school. In the middle 90's he told me his SS check was more each month, than the last years earnings driving a bus. He lived until he was 96, I would say he got a good return on the pennys Uncle Sam took from him and his employer each week all those years.
    Do you think you will see such a result in inflation adjusted dollars? I do not. When your grandfather retired there were about 6 workers per recipient, now it is 3 and expected to be 2 in the coming years. We are getting very close to where we might as well scrap it and let kids take care of their elders…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Do you think you will see such a result in inflation adjusted dollars? I do not. When your grandfather retired there were about 6 workers per recipient, now it is 3 and expected to be 2 in the coming years. We are getting very close to where we might as well scrap it and let kids take care of their elders…
    Knowing politicians, they will keep robbing the funds and keep it afloat at the same time.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well, inflation adjusted dollars really means nothing to me, I've said before the money thing is just not my world. I pay a guy to tell me what to do or he does it for me.
    I will still say with the rising costs of goods over the last few years it really has engraved in me more that certain things in my life's choices were good choices that I made long ago.
    The reality of me loosing my SS check would not really change the lifestyle of simple living that I already have.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, inflation adjusted dollars really means nothing to me,
    Your grandfather paid into SS with dollars that could have gone to cans of soup that cost 10 cents, he retired when the can of soup was 35 cents and passed on when the soup was $1.79…

(the dollar amounts are hypothetical.)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The welfare line is very very low in Indiana IMHO, and note that is gross. Last time I checked average rent is $1000~ a month for a 1 bedroom apartment.
    I volunteer to do taxes for low income tax payers. I've never seen rent anywhere close to this. Most of my clients are in the $4000-$6000 a year range.

This is if Fort Wayne, mind you.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I volunteer to do taxes for low income tax payers. I've never seen rent anywhere close to this. Most of my clients are in the $4000-$6000 a year range.

This is if Fort Wayne, mind you.
    What seems to be the average low income without hud's help pay in rent, for say a 2 bedroom house in FW?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

RFRA strikes again lol, the injunction on the abortion ban was upheld by the Appeals court. Turns out in America or at least Indiana your religion cannot govern my ass.
    Your ass is a religion? :n00b:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ten states now have physician assisted suicide and many countries, so many places are at the point where the government decides who should live and who should die.
    In the states where assisted suicide is legal it’s not the government who decides. It’s the patient. Is that a slippery slope to government mandated suicide? I think is there is a slippery slop to that, it’s single payer government healthcare. Like Canuckistan.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And we have 40 left, our insistence on making terminal patients go through the wasting process has always been baffling to me. It’s also not the government and to my knowledge where it is allowed you have to have a psychiatrist sigh off on it as well as the MDs.

Or different people have different views on when life is actually viable. Perhaps I actually care about nuance and not what my imaginary sky friend says in his book or whatever (though exodus 21 states the mothers life is more valuable than the fetus). Perhaps a scenario where the fetus has a defect that will cause it to be non viable outside of the womb should that mother not be able to get an abortion? Maybe a married couple that had birth control fail and they are not financially ready yet?

But once again RFRA , it’s cool you can believe whatever you want, but I can also believe what I want. Most importantly of all the State cannot legally interfere with either of our “religious rights”, but I 100% guarantee you that’s not what Mike Pence originally envisioned (because he and our collective state legislators are morons).
    A couple of things.

First, there is no nuance which makes abortion a celebrated event no matter what you worship. Even if it’s yer ass. It's often a trying event for people with a conscience.

Second, people have been banned for openly mocking people’s religion. You may not remember Mr Jarrel. An INGO personally long departed, whose favorite hobby on INGO was to insult Christians. Maybe dial that nonsense down a touch.

I’m not religious at all, but I am not so confident arrogant that I think it's necessary to disrespect everyone else's religious beliefs. However, if your religious beliefs cause you to worship your ass, maybe it's fair game. :):

Top Bottom