THE CZickness XLVIII....."The Holidays are Coming" edition...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I need me some old man wisdom...

So the gift dilemma from a few weeks ago... its an IPhone... I hate Iphone. I found out when I called my wife to let her know I was going to pick up the new Samsung because my 4-5year old phone is on its last legs... I am completely set up for android. Tablet, earbuds, headphones, laptop 100 chargers. Not sure how to play this. I'm trying to be appreciative, but a $1200 otd iphone vs. $400 galaxy s22 ultra with my trade in... I know she meant the absolute best, and I love her for it.
    I'd say honesty would be the best course with this. She is doing this to make you happy, so she should be understanding if you swap it out.

Just my two cents...

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Results of testing below. I was surprised to the winner. I think the slight forward pressure on the bipod, slight pulling pressure on the pistol grip and moderate squeeze on the rear bag all made for a solid and repeatable setup.

Initial sight in with my "free" biobelt target.

20221114_205533.jpg

Full Monte testing grid. I really really enjoyed shooting this today. It was rewarding and calming as well. I felt "connected" at times with the rifle, like I could "tell" it what I wanted it to do on a telekinetic level.

20221114_205822.jpg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Decided to do some testing of different bench rest setups today with my 457. This was not what I originally had planned, but it turned out to be a fun comparison.

Setup 1) Front and rear Wiebad bags, with a 3" wide front bag rider attached to the forend of the rifle.

View attachment 236775

Setup 2) Rock BR front rest, protektor silver slick flat front rest w/3" bag rider, rear Protektor silver slick Dr rest.

View attachment 236776

Setup 3) Atlas Cal bipod on front, rear Wiebad bag, Midway shooting mat strapped down to bench. The mat has pockets at the front that the bipod legs can be pushed against. I would have preferred a 2x4 clamped to the bench instead of the mat pockets, but I used what I had with me.

View attachment 236777
    And the winner was…

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Decided to do some testing of different bench rest setups today with my 457. This was not what I originally had planned, but it turned out to be a fun comparison.

Setup 1) Front and rear Wiebad bags, with a 3" wide front bag rider attached to the forend of the rifle.

View attachment 236775

Setup 2) Rock BR front rest, protektor silver slick flat front rest w/3" bag rider, rear Protektor silver slick Dr rest.

View attachment 236776

Setup 3) Atlas Cal bipod on front, rear Wiebad bag, Midway shooting mat strapped down to bench. The mat has pockets at the front that the bipod legs can be pushed against. I would have preferred a 2x4 clamped to the bench instead of the mat pockets, but I used what I had with me.

View attachment 236777
    Which one gave you the best results?

Edit: nvm just seen you post

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Results of testing below. I was surprised to the winner. I think the slight forward pressure on the bipod, slight pulling pressure on the pistol grip and moderate squeeze on the rear bag all made for a solid and repeatable setup.

Initial sight in with my "free" biobelt target.

View attachment 236779

Full Monte testing grid. I really really enjoyed shooting this today. It was rewarding and calming as well. I felt "connected" at times with the rifle, like I could "tell" it what I wanted it to do on a telekinetic level.

View attachment 236780
    I would've guessed setup 2 would've been the winner. Interesting.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Set up 2 had the smallest individual groups though not the average. Maybe he was addressing the rifle too much in that setup?

Kinda like over tightening a screw. Right, Mr. tdogg? ;-)
    My thoughts as well. That setup seems better suited, as several of you will attest, to being shot with the rifle slightly floating and avoiding disrupting anything once the reticle is perfectly aligned to its aiming point. That would explain why I've struggled with that setup, I have a really hard time practicing that style of shooting and prefer to shoot a rifle the way I would in a "field" type environment.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    My thoughts as well. That setup seems better suited, as several of you will attest, to being shot with the rifle slightly floating and avoiding disrupting anything once the reticle is perfectly aligned to its aiming point. That would explain why I've struggled with that setup, I have a really hard time practicing that style of shooting and prefer to shoot a rifle the way I would in a "field" type environment.

Aha .... sorcery ! I must find a proper incantation of my own. ;)

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have found when competing that as I get farther along in the match I start gripping the rifle and then get ‘flyers’. I score much better when relaxed. The new trigger spring will let me have less contact with the rifle and hopefully improve my scores. My recent range outting was encouraging in this. Used my Rock BR and protektor rear bag.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I need me some old man wisdom...

So the gift dilemma from a few weeks ago... its an IPhone... I hate Iphone. I found out when I called my wife to let her know I was going to pick up the new Samsung because my 4-5year old phone is on its last legs... I am completely set up for android. Tablet, earbuds, headphones, laptop 100 chargers. Not sure how to play this. I'm trying to be appreciative, but a $1200 otd iphone vs. $400 galaxy s22 ultra with my trade in... I know she meant the absolute best, and I love her for it.
    I agree with the other folks, on this one about returning it. IPhone vs. Android is not something I'd ever try and flip someone from one to the other. It's like coke vs Pepsi, or Glock vs 1911. People have their preference and are invested in a platform. My wife has been in the Android camp since her first smart phone, and I'd never attempt to buy her something else, especially as a surprise. Plus it's something one uses every day and often, and pretty much in the tool category these days.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have found when competing that as I get farther along in the match I start gripping the rifle and then get ‘flyers’. I score much better when relaxed. The new trigger spring will let me have less contact with the rifle and hopefully improve my scores. My recent range outting was encouraging in this. Used my Rock BR and protektor rear bag.
    :+1:

I tense up and I can see the reticle get jumpy. Have to tell myself to relax, be one with the rifle. I really dig my Rock BR as well. Simple, inexpensive. Got it on sale at Midway.:alright:

Need to invest in a Protektor bag though. Those are smooth as silk.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I agree with the other folks, on this one about returning it. IPhone vs. Android is not something I'd ever try and flip someone from one to the other. It's like coke vs Pepsi, or Glock vs 1911. People have their preference and are invested in a platform. My wife has been in the Android camp since her first smart phone, and I'd never attempt to buy her something else, especially as a surprise. Plus it's something one uses every day and often, and pretty much in the tool category these days.
    So now let's do that without hurting her feelings about not liking her gift. I think I'll just wait until after Christmas, talk to her and ask her if she'd go in with me to switch it for the phone I wanted. We are leaving for vacation Wed so she doesn't need any added stress.

I was going to just suck it up and give apple a shot. But like you said, the investment is real, and I use it for everything. I am unfortunately tied to my phone.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    So now let's do that without hurting her feelings about not liking her gift. I think I'll just wait until after Christmas, talk to her and ask her if she'd go in with me to switch it for the phone I wanted. We are leaving for vacation Wed so she doesn't need any added stress.

I was going to just suck it up and give apple a shot. But like you said, the investment is real, and I use it for everything. I am unfortunately tied to my phone.
    That's a good move. Your appreciative and grateful, love the thought - would rather have a different phone. After getting the phone you want then take her out for a nice dinner.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom