THE CZickness XLIX....Tackling 2023 with CZ style...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't like the shut-off feature either. I don't have that much faith in technology to start back up when I let off the brake at a stoplight. We've had quite a few come through our shop that do that and they've all worked... but they were new cars. What happens in 8-10 years.

I have owned cars and lawn mowers that shut off on their own, they just weren't supposed to.:)

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I don't like the shut-off feature either. I don't have that much faith in technology to start back up when I let off the brake at a stoplight. We've had quite a few come through our shop that do that and they've all worked... but they were new cars. What happens in 8-10 years.

I have owned cars and lawn mowers that shut off on their own, they just weren't supposed to.:)
    And I would imagine the battery life has to go way down.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Whatever we decide to go with it's going to be new. That warranty is very important to me. I'll trade in and get another new one when the warranty runs out. We have always been pretty frugal when it comes to vehicles but I'm at the point now where if it has the features we like and we want it, let's buy it and be happy as long as we can afford it.
    Both vehicles we have now are still under warranty. It's very comforting to have imo.
    I've never been a big car guy, so having the fastest or coolest car has never even appealed to me. Now what's important to me ... A/C and heated seats, automatic start.
    Yeah I like some get up and go too but I don't think I'd ever buy a sports car. Sold some of those that I inherited with the newest one being a 2014 corvette
    Didn't interest me at all
    Features I miss from my BMW. Heated windshield wipers, HIGHLY functional climate control, massaging seats (you don't know you need these until you have them), power sunscreens on the rear windows, brakes (HELL YEAH kinda brakes!) and the full throttle sound of its V8 without the ride of the Vette.

We always found BMWs warranty service to be exceptional. Dealership always had great loaner vehicles. We have had the 100,000 mile plans on my wife's car. Probably lost money on it but it was nice peace of mind. She did have one 535 that had a series of fuel pump failures under warranty but never after.

The 530 is a lot of car for the money without spending the premium on the 540. If the 3 series fits your needs, (I think) you can knock about 15-20% off the price of a 5 and not give up too much.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd have a 760 in the garage...but I don't...so I don't.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    That was my conclusion. I have enough modern plastic (for now) and am lucky enough to have a Phantom.

but for someone looking for a hi-cap duty gun - what a score!

View attachment 261471
    Speaking of Phantom - I put the one linked here a couple weeks ago on GB on my watchlist for after vacation, got the email the day it was ending but was really busy that day and missed it by 15 minutes.
    Have no idea if it was a good deal or not, think it went for 725ish???
    And now there’s another on the watchlist…

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Features I miss from my BMW. Heated windshield wipers, HIGHLY functional climate control, massaging seats (you don't know you need these until you have them), power sunscreens on the rear windows, brakes (HELL YEAH kinda brakes!) and the full throttle sound of its V8 without the ride of the Vette.

My favorite feature on my Lincoln SUV has to be the seats! Heated and cooled with 22 separate adjustments and massage—aaaah!

We always found BMWs warranty service to be exceptional. Dealership always had great loaner vehicles.
    My BMW (I went to Ft. Wayne to buy it as my local dealer would not even talk to me) had a year left on the certified warranty when I bought it. I took it to my local dealer for a small warranty repair and later (after warranty expired) for an airbag recall. Both times ended up with a Hyundai Elantra as a loaner (WTF!). Always get a brand new Lexus at the Lexus dealer and the independent shop I used always gave me a fairly late model BMW as a loaner.

The local dealer is probably another BIG reason I’ll never own another. Same dealer has the Infiniti store and when we tried to buy my wife’s new 2007 G35 they were ridiculous - wanted full list and an additional $500 to dealer trade to get the color/equipment she wanted. Stated the only one they could find was in Wisconsin. Ended up getting it from Cincinnati (they had 2 like she wanted) and saving about $4k. Did the whole deal on the phone on a Monday, no deposit required and drove to Cincy the following Saturday, wrote a check, picked up the car, had dinner and visited with my cousins. She loved the car (It was her anniversary present that year).

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    All of this talk about vehicles has me reminiscing. After I owned my last motorcycle (I had it for 12 years), it would take a mighty leap to get me impressed about performance.
    When purchased in 2001, it was listed as the 6th fastest production vehicle on the planet. The five ahead of me were all motorcycles .... none were cars.
    It could break every speed limit in the U.S.A. in 1st gear !

At that point in my motorcycle history, I'd put 1/4 million miles on previous bikes. With this bike, I peaked .... I became one with the machine, and it with me. It was magical.

i-hdXKfxd-L.jpg

P.S.--- if I was younger, and had a fair amount of disposable income, I'd also look at BMW cars .... after driving a relative's fancy Beemer, I always wanted one.
    Now ... the farthest I drive is to my cabin (80 minutes), so my 25 year old truck suits me just fine. :)

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    All of this talk about vehicles has me reminiscing. After I owned my last motorcycle (I had it for 12 years), it would take a mighty leap to get me impressed about performance.
    When purchased in 2001, it was listed as the 6th fastest production vehicle on the planet. The five ahead of me were all motorcycles .... none were cars.
    It could break every speed limit in the U.S.A. in 1st gear !

At that point in my motorcycle history, I'd put 1/4 million miles on previous bikes. With this bike, I peaked .... I became one with the machine, and it with me. It was magical.

i-hdXKfxd-L.jpg

P.S.--- if I was younger, and had a fair amount of disposable income, I'd also look at BMW cars .... after driving a relative's fancy Beemer, I always wanted one.
    Now ... the farthest I drive is to my cabin (80 minutes), so my 25 year old truck suits me just fine. :)
    I had a Yamaha for a year or so - that's me at 16 or 17. Dad bought it for me as a surprise, then sold it quite literally out from under me and gave me a Sportster - pic of me on the Sporty I think I'm 18ish, senior year of HS.

I rode the Yamaha to his friends house with dad to meet up to go riding. Friend was going to let me borrow an HD for the day, so I had to check air in the tires and what not. Next thing I know, I see my dad on a Sportster and he's telling me it's mine. Then some dude rolls up and buys the Yamaha and rides off.

(Sorry for the picture quality- it's a cell phone camera picture of a framed picture)

20230310_131322.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_131932_Facebook.jpg

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    While we are on the topic of throwing big bills around… I had my first consultation with the chiropractor yesterday and the follow up today. I was quite impressed with the docs (my family has been seeing him for over 20 years) knowledge and willingness to help. I learned a lot about the spine and how it works with the rest of the body. He took some x-rays, as well as did a physical exam, neuro core scan thing where they measure activity through the spine going to different nerves and a foot scan.

Today we went over those results, he has high hopes that he can fix me. It’s going to be a 6 month process. And cost me a lot of money… but I’m excited. He pointed out the problem straight away, as well as went over everything else he noticed.

Moral of the story, don’t lift a car off a tow dolly with a long bar on your shoulder…

He’s also hopeful that this process will also fix a lot of other issues that I’m having that I wouldn’t have thought to be related…

5 years with this pain. 5 years of struggles… Sign me up Doc… I wanna be me again…

Pics tell the story.

This is supposed to be straight…

45F5FF34-0852-4345-8E90-9609969E0AD7.jpeg

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    While we are on the topic of throwing big bills around… I had my first consultation with the chiropractor yesterday and the follow up today. I was quite impressed with the docs (my family has been seeing him for over 20 years) knowledge and willingness to help. I learned a lot about the spine and how it works with the rest of the body. He took some x-rays, as well as did a physical exam, neuro core scan thing where they measure activity through the spine going to different nerves and a foot scan.

Today we went over those results, he has high hopes that he can fix me. It’s going to be a 6 month process. And cost me a lot of money… but I’m excited. He pointed out the problem straight away, as well as went over everything else he noticed.

Moral of the story, don’t lift a car off a tow dolly with a long bar on your shoulder…

He’s also hopeful that this process will also fix a lot of other issues that I’m having that I wouldn’t have thought to be related…

5 years with this pain. 5 years of struggles… Sign me up Doc… I wanna be me again…

Pics tell the story.

This is supposed to be straight…

View attachment 261512
    6rypfh.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A good score today. I collect EE Clark leather, he was a custom holster maker in LA back in the 20s-30s and his company later becomes Bucheimer Clark. Spotted this on EBay and picked it up for $23 which was a score in itself until the holster arrived and I found Stembridge Gun Rental stamps on it as well. :woot:

stem1.jpg stem2.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The brakes on the latest BMW really are amazing. It's like catching a wire on a carrier landing. Acceleration on the turbo 6 cyls is pretty good too. I've hit triple digits while merging from an on ramp before getting to the end of the merge zone. Our last 5 series had a bad throttle lag. My son's 5 doesn't have that issue and the new 4 doesn't as well. It killed the feel of the car to me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I headed down to HHRP after work to sight a couple of ARs in this afternoon. First was my M&P 15OR, which was the very first AR I had bought. I picked up a PA 1-6 off of the classies this week and got it dialed in this afternoon. It's a nice optic and is a good fit for that rifle.

After that, I dialed in an Eotech on my Sig 716i. I got it sighted and had some fun plinking in 20 rounds. With the M&P, I can reliably hit the 4" to 6" hanging steel at the 200 yard line. With the Eotech and AR10, I can pick off the 8" steel with no magnification.
    6bb378e121b0d1e01ea71a1aae9a71d8.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Picked this up today, sent from one of my old shops in MI. It's a mid-2018 Marlin (Remlin) 336 in .35 Remington. It was made in May 2018 and looks like I just pulled it out of the box, looks like it's likely unfired as well. Being a late production it should be good to go, everything seems fine with it. It was tagged at 599.00 which is good for any Marlin right now.

xZzBYyyl.jpg

UU3YqTcl.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The brakes on the latest BMW really are amazing. It's like catching a wire on a carrier landing. Acceleration on the turbo 6 cyls is pretty good too. I've hit triple digits while merging from an on ramp before getting to the end of the merge zone. Our last 5 series had a bad throttle lag. My son's 5 doesn't have that issue and the new 4 doesn't as well. It killed the feel of the car to me.
    The brakes on my last 7 were insane. Big heavy car with huge tires (something like 235/265s). You wouldn't mistake that car for a M series but it sure was fun on the empty roads.

Yea...the last 535 had a touch a lag. Not bad but it did take some spice out of the twisties.

Now with the Jeep, I try to avoid roads with curves. LOL

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom