• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Ok, so as long as you feel some sort of connection to the person jokes are off the table. You don't necessarily need to know them, but just have a connection. And if you didn't personally have a connection would it be ok to share jokes openly where a bystander/listener may have that connection? IMHO, no, thus the emphasis on a gallows humor being ok in a close-knit circle, but not ok outside of that. INGO is not a close-knit circle. That is the only point I'm trying to make.

I already addressed that. I stated that it is not okay to joke within earshot of someone outside of the "circle."

Maybe it is and I'm just oblivious to that fact that it is, but I don't think that's the case. I understand perfectly and I think the jokes in this thread are at the very least, in very poor taste. I'll bite my tongue as to how I actually feel because I'm just beating a dead horse...

I think beating a dead horse is in poor taste. If you want to beat a dead animal, you definitely have a psychological problem.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ok, so as long as you feel some sort of connection to the person jokes are off the table. You don't necessarily need to know them, but just have a connection. And if you didn't personally have a connection would it be ok to share jokes openly where a bystander/listener may have that connection? IMHO, no, thus the emphasis on a gallows humor being ok in a close-knit circle, but not ok outside of that. INGO is not a close-knit circle. That is the only point I'm trying to make.

Maybe it is and I'm just oblivious to that fact that it is, but I don't think that's the case. I understand perfectly and I think the jokes in this thread are at the very least, in very poor taste. I'll bite my tongue as to how I actually feel because I'm just beating a dead horse... This thread is a testament to the fact that decency and respect toward one another (among INGO members) is on a downward spiral. We have guys that claim to be all grown up that can't have a discussion without getting butthurt, and slinging insults.
    Why the Captain Save-A-Ho crusade against tasteless jokes? If INGO or the people onit, at least some of them, don’t meet your high moral standards, it can easily be rectified? But, feel free to tilt at your windmills as much as you like. Also, there’s no need to bite your tongue, convey your moral superiority onto us heathens.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Although I have been retired from LE for about four years now, this was my experience. The dark humor has a place, and is prevalent, and all but the most unprofessional among us kept it in-house.

As for toning it down, in my opinion, for what it is worth, what I have seen on this thread is snarky but not particularly over the top. I suspect the horrific nature of the video is disturbing, but the events depicted a) raise a lot of questions about how "accidental" it was, and b) demonstrate that if you live like a thug, you die like a thug.

Bingo.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I'll bite my tongue as to how I actually feel because I'm just beating a dead horse... This thread is a testament to the fact that decency and respect toward one another (among INGO members) is on a downward spiral. We have guys that claim to be all grown up that can't have a discussion without getting butthurt, and slinging insults.

The people in the video were INGO members? I haven’t seen anybody in this thread being disrespectful towards another INGO member. And “disrespect” is merely your opinion vs mine. What you see as disrespectful I might not, so don’t be so fast to label others.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I guess one could search other instances of INGO addressing someone being accidentally shot by another, and compare. Probably won't find many "tragic and avoidable" comments, I imagine.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I guess one could search other instances of INGO addressing someone being accidentally shot by another, and compare. Probably won't find many "tragic and avoidable" comments, I imagine.

The point about INGO or INGO members (because INGO is it's membership) is what?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Comparing the first page of each thread, do you not see a difference in how the subject was immediately addressed? And in the instance you provided, that guy killed himself, he wasn't shot by another.

My INGO-search-fu isn't as strong as others, so I am not going to be able to find an apples to apples comparison thread. I believe the difference in the one I posted and this one is simply because that guy shot himself, so INGOers got on the wave of 4 rules and such.

I was just making the point that there were lighthearted comments and jokes in that thread as well. Nothing to the tune of "he deserved" it, though.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Nah, he's too busy telling the American people lies..... did you know we started on the wall? lol

Funny politicians always start their promises when elections are getting nearer. I support trump, but I’m let down on a few of his running points. But that’s for another thread. :D

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My INGO-search-fu isn't as strong as others, so I am not going to be able to find an apples to apples comparison thread. I believe the difference in the one I posted and this one is simply because that guy shot himself, so INGOers got on the wave of 4 rules and such.

I was just making the point that there were lighthearted comments and jokes in that thread as well. Nothing to the tune of "he deserved" it, though.

As always, I appreciate your thoughtful consideration on the subject (seriously)

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    As always, I appreciate your thoughtful consideration on the subject (seriously)

Please don’t praise jagee... he doesn’t know how to take it and tends to go all clingy.

200.gif

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Do you have these on a spread sheet? I would like to know what was going on in 2008 that isn't going on today.

Religious discussion? We had people like Haldir getting banned back then for things that are perfectly fine today.
    That guy should be granted a pardon and welcomed back.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That being said none of us had anything to do with it, and nobody on this forum as far as I know has any connection to these people.
    Key words highlighted above, how many INGO members do you personally know all of their personal connections and life experiences and how it could affect them? None? Yeah, me either. I know some quite well but I don't know everything about them. So really you don't have a darn clue as to any possible connections or possibly related incidents that they do have a connection to. Plus, this forum is open to public viewing so it's not only possible, but it's likely that somebody that knows of this guy could read this thread. So it's risky to joke about it. So you're taking a risk, to what benefit? We've already established that those in this thread are not so closely and deeply affected by this that they need to joke as a coping mechanism openly so what is the benefit of the candid jokes?

If you can’t have a sense of humor (yes, even a dark distasteful sense of humor at times) maybe the internet isn’t for you.
    I don't have to have a dark sense of humor to visit the internet. Just because you have one, doesn't mean I have to accept your dark sense of humor.

I’ve visited many forums and from what I’ve seen on INGO it is far more respectful than a majority of them.
    I have as well. I am and have been a member of a multitude forums (around 50 if I had to guess), everything from home-improvement, guns, machining, cars, and many other past-times I have and I can say without a doubt in my mind that INGO USED TO be the forum I sought to go to when I wanted respectful, clean conversations, and I can say that now, nearly a decade after I joined here, it lands about average or median for level of respect and conduct of the membership. IMHO we Hoosiers should hold ourselves to a higher level than that, but some people don't understand that.

And what do you mean “we” when you describe small town people? I’m from a town that has less than 800 people. Please don’t lump me int that bunch. If you wanna be a snowflake and be offended at everything you read on a forum it’s gonna be a long heartbreaking ride. Don’t go to a comedy show and cancel your cable subscription.
    Trust me, I'm not offended, I just try not to offend others and so I sympathize with those that may be offended by tasteless jokes. If you think I'm offended I think my point has gone well over your head.

And “disrespect” is merely your opinion vs mine. What you see as disrespectful I might not, so don’t be so fast to label others.
    One of the first things you learn in ethics classes is about morals and who is the judge. The root of the matter is that if morals are individually subjective then morals do not exist because you would define your own morals. That simply isn't the case. Just like morals, you don't get to determine what your own definition of disrespect is, society does. But that was a valiant effort to justify your conduct!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    One of the first things you learn in ethics classes is about morals and who is the judge. The root of the matter is that if morals are individually subjective then morals do not exist because you would define your own morals. That simply isn't the case. Just like morals, you don't get to determine what your own definition of disrespect is, society does. But that was a valiant effort to justify your conduct!

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Top Bottom