• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Authorities believe man tripped, fatally shot himself | wlfi.com

LEBANON, Ind. (WLFI) — Authorities believe a man went outside to shoot targets in his backyard when he tripped and accidentally fired his gun, fatally shooting himself.

According to the Boone County Sheriff’s Office, officers were called to a home at 354 South 500 West in Lebanon for a report of a man down in the yard.

Officers discovered 49-year-old Lester Wethington lying face down in the back of the property, authorities say...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Many people do not understand why the Four Rules are so important, but they have never met with the families of people that set themselves on fire, they have never talked to people who set their best friends on fire by waving the gun around, they just have zero experience with the destructive aspects of small arms whatsoever.

More importantly the Four Rules are vital as the person in the mirror in the biggest threat to you that you will ever encounter.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Still waiting for the INGO Safety Committee to come and lecture us that pointing guns at yourself is not dangerous. I guess I beat them here, yet again.

It's not like he did it on purpose. It's not one of those cases where someone looked down the barrel of a gun to see if it was loaded or he was playing with a friend and pointed it at him thinking it was unloaded when in fact it wasn't. At the moment, he tripped and fell and when he hit the ground the gun managed to get angled at his head. For all you know there was a rock or stump that forced his hand and arm in the position it did but you love to jump to conclusions and say he was incompetent because you never have had an accident of any type.

At the moment, to me, this is an unfortunate accident for him, his family, and the people who knew him and I'm not going to jump to conclusions without the full story or maybe the story is as full as it will be because that's all there is to it, an unfortunate accident.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Negligently or purposefully, this is why one does not point guns at things one does not intend to destroy.

It's like a rule or something.
    If, and I can only speculate on what actually happened, he tripped and the gun got pointed at him, it was likely out of his control, however, the argument that could be made is not to go walking around with a hot weapon when your just strolling to where you're going to shoot.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If, and I can only speculate on what actually happened, he tripped and the gun got pointed at him, it was likely out of his control, however, the argument that could be made is not to go walking around with a hot weapon when your just strolling to where you're going to shoot.

You are quite correct about speculation. Fair point.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So I guess falling isn't an accident or something

Guess you've never cut yourself either.

HUGE difference between being in the kitchen cutting meat properly and running through the house with a knife. My grandma always got on me about that and I'll bet other good grandmas did as well.

Regards,

Doug

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

HUGE difference between being in the kitchen cutting meat properly and running through the house with a knife. My grandma always got on me about that and I'll bet other good grandmas did as well.

Regards,

Doug

I was told long ago -
    "Never cut towards yourself, always cut towards a friend." :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom