• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Boots came in. The fit is different and am leaning towards going up half a size. Have a little heel slip and instep is snuggish, so it checks those boxes, but the toe box is rather cramped. Almost like the boot itself needs to be slightly longer, while the rest of the boot stays the same.

Quality looks real nice though.

Looks good...and nothing like the smell of new leather.

I'm guessing the goat skin is soft?

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Ended up shipping them back. Exchanging for a half a size larger. One of the drawbacks of a DTC boot company, can’t try multiple sizes on at a store before purchasing. At least there are unlimited free returns.

The goat leather was soft and I really like the color variations goat leather has (my picture didn’t capture that very well).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why the heck would one want- better traction, better durability, etc. Leather absorbs water, salt and other contaminants destroy leather soles, leather soles have little traction. I'm not talking hiking boots lugs. Vibram make a low profile lug sole that works great on Ropers. YMMV.

:ingo:
    No, I get all that, not just buying a great boot already made is the part I do not get. Like my Ariat’s…

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I assumed he meant currently. I wore Mason brand boots that were a Wellington style for metal fab shop to farm wear back in the day. Thought they had a work boot sole. Then they cracked down and we had to wear steel toes and the offerings sucked. Now my work boot of choice is the Ariat Workhog I have a regular boot and a composite toe protection boot.

Have had several pairs of those. Good boots too. Especially the waterproof boots.
    Do the tecovis boots run true to size?

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Have had several pairs of those. Good boots too. Especially the waterproof boots.
    Do the tecovis boots run true to size?
    “true to size” is somewhat of a marketing term.

I wear size 10 running shoes most of the time though with some brands it’s 10.5. Dress shoes range between 9.5 and 10 for me. I have boots ranging from 9.5 to 10.5. So, my question is always, true to size in relation to what.

I ordered the Tecovas Cartwright in 9.5D which fit great everywhere but the toe box. So I’m exchanging for a 10D to see if that fits better.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Well I got the tecovas in a 10D, which now fit length-wise great but is too lose on the top of my foot, which I was afraid of. I wish they made them in a narrow width because that would probably fit perfectly.

Shipping them back again. Quality seems nice, just can’t get the right fit for my foot.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well I got the tecovas in a 10D, which now fit length-wise great but is too lose on the top of my foot, which I was afraid of. I wish they made them in a narrow width because that would probably fit perfectly.

Shipping them back again. Quality seems nice, just can’t get the right fit for my foot.

Sorry to hear.

Maybe time for. visit to Boot City or something similar.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sorry to hear.

Maybe time for. visit to Boot City or something similar.
    There in lies the rub, if you can fit and wear boots from a online retailer that is great, but you are not going to get Tecovas quality from a retailer for a similar price, the savings from Tecovas are from cutting out the retailer…

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    There in lies the rub, if you can fit and wear boots from a online retailer that is great, but you are not going to get Tecovas quality from a retailer for a similar price, the savings from Tecovas are from cutting out the retailer…

Truth...and where that works it works very well.

At the same time, if you want a good set of boots and such business model does not work, there are alternatives.

Where Tecovas works, it works well. Where it does not, others do.

Much to the chagrin of communist bastards, I use boots made by various companies.

Much to the chagrin of peta, most are made from natural material.

Tavovas knows how to make western boots....no doubt about it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah Boot Barn in the Southport area and Cowpokes in Anderson.
    A drive to Rods in Columbus OH would likely be worth it, if inventory shortages have not gotten to them.

Also in the fall the American Quarterhorse Congress, also in Columbus, at the state fair grounds has an amazing exposition of western wear for the month of October, much of it managed by Rods.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Try out some square toes they may be what you need. They are better fitting for me.
    I have some Ariat square toe cowboy boots now and they are quite comfortable. In fact I wear them almost everyday.

My thought with the Tecovas Cartwright was going with a more traditionally made boot and the more traditional look of the R toe.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A drive to Rods in Columbus OH would likely be worth it, if inventory shortages have not gotten to them.

Also in the fall the American Quarterhorse Congress, also in Columbus, at the state fair grounds has an amazing exposition of western wear for the month of October, much of it managed by Rods.
    I was in Cowpokes on thurs picking up a hat I had steamed and formed.
    It has been maybe 3 years since I had been in the store. Its stone full of merchandise..
    It has come a long way the last twenty years.

Top Bottom