• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    So my son-in-law says "Can you use other 1911 clips in that Kimber?" We were shooting down in the bottom of the farm, and I had my new Kimber Ultra blah blah and my new Ruger SR1911. I reached down and grabbed one of the Ruger clips, shoved it in and BAM! BAM! BAM! "Yup" I said, "apparently you can." I must admit. I love them 1911's.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    2drxetg.png

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    A buggy is only a shopping cart if you refuse to acknowledge you lost in the 1860s
    Supper and dinner are NOT the same
    A motor and an engine are not QUITE the same

Much in the same way that a clip and a magazine are not the same in the firearm world.

Just because youve spent so long using incorrect meanings for various words, doesn't mean the definitions changed.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    To the OP: you make take huge umbrage to their ribbing, but believe me, it's for the best. Technical terms are that: technical. If I came up and began talking to one of these guys, it wouldn't matter if I was Jerry Miculek or some other god of our shooting community: The instant I use a term out of whack, I'm automatically discredited.

If someone comes up to me and the first thing they say is "clip" when meaning magazine or refers to their highly inaccurate weapon (or poor shooting style and subsequent poor groupings) as a "tack driver", I subconsciously discredit their conversation with me. It's not done with malice or even consciously, it just happens. Someone who calls something the wrong term or uses terms incorrectly isn't seen as being knowledgeable or skilled.

As stated before: You may take umbrage to that fact but it's a stark reality and I'm sorry you had to learn it this way. You seem like a smart fella' and I am willing to put money that you are. But the shooting community is like any other: It has sticklers and people that have been shooting for decades, there are terms that need to be right.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    For the record, I dont think most shooters think ill of someone for using the wrong term. We just like to bust peoples chops about it. Dont get me wrong, the definitions are what they are, and they should be used accordingly. But who says we cant all have fun with it...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For the record, I dont think most shooters think ill of someone for using the wrong term. We just like to bust peoples chops about it. Dont get me wrong, the definitions are what they are, and they should be used accordingly. But who says we cant all have fun with it...

Pretty much. In fact, if I know it bothers you, I've been known to use the wrong term just to aggravate.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I bet people who use the word "clip" when talking about a magazine pay more for their firearms at their local gun store. WWII veterans may be an exception.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So my son-in-law says "Can you use other 1911 clips in that Kimber?" We were shooting down in the bottom of the farm, and I had my new Kimber Ultra blah blah and my new Ruger SR1911. I reached down and grabbed one of the Ruger clips, shoved it in and BAM! BAM! BAM! "Yup" I said, "apparently you can." I must admit. I love them 1911's.

Just wait until you break out the ARs. He'll really be impressed with magazine interchangeability.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well yeah. They're the same model of gun. As long as the caliber is the same the mags will work. If you have a flared mag well then you will have to use your finger tips to fully seat your mag. I love shooting a good 1911. Nothing else compares in my opinion and I've shot many many types of pistols old and modern.

Top Bottom