• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Plus, as I already stated up thread, when the tax bill goes up this year the rent most likely does not. Those pesky leases stop landlords from just raising the rent.
    You guys are off the charts with this nonsense. WTF you guys are lost in the weeds of minutiae of things that rarely happen because if they did the landlord is no longer a landlord but rather a charity.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You honestly think that rental properties are never vacant? :rolleyes:
    No did you read my post? If it is not rented it is not a rental property, an empty property is a potential rental property otherwise all property is rental property without a definition.

I say a rental property is a property that is rented. How do you define a rental property?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    With the influx of illegals and a rush of people moving from blue states to red, you guys honestly think this housing situation will end?

I don't... but you should see the amount of new rooftops being built in Iowa and other parts of the midwest.

I'm glad you aced Econ @jamil but I'll take real world over textbook any day of the week.

It seems you have  theory while @Ziggidy has practical application...

A lot of hypotheticals in this thread with little to no action. Again, I'm not complaining about my property taxes, as I type this my current properties assessed value is 60% of what I paid for it and the one I just sold is still over 50k less than it sold for...

So even with assessed values catching up to market value, they still have a ways to go...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The farmer putting a drain tile in his field is similar to a the drain pipes in a house connected to a city sewer, the city sewer is not responsible for your personal pipes, that is what a private field tile is. The county is responsible for the system AFTER it leaves your property Or if their system crosses your property…
    So I"m not paying taxes for drainage on my property. All of my property drains into a creek which then leaves my property so I'd like a refund for my drainage taxes. Mother nature has it handled quite effectively.

I draw my water and treat my sewage here as well so no taxes for that either.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So I"m not paying taxes for drainage on my property. All of my property drains into a creek which then leaves my property so I'd like a refund for my drainage taxes. Mother nature has it handled quite effectively.

I draw my water and treat my sewage here as well so no taxes for that either.
    That creek is part of the county drainage system. You really just don’t get at all, or you want to troll. That creek may not have even existed when Indiana was settled, as the land was settled, trees cleared for farming the land and water patterns would also change. Who keeps that creek flowing?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Gravity seems to be doing a pretty good job though my neighbor up the road has cleared a couple of log jams a few times. Must be those tax dollars working.
    You just will not admit that the county does anything for you. Since they do nothing for you you should just stop paying them. If I believed as strongly as you claim that the county does nothing for you why would you pay them? Many people think they are self sufficient until the SHTF. You do not have enough knowledge of the topic to further discuss it and it is clear you have no interest in discussion that increases understanding.

Why not quote my whole post? Because the explanation in the full post refutes your snark…

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Actually I never said that. You're the one in here spouting about how many direct benefits property owners receive and how dare we have the audacity to complain about paying our fair share. I'm simply pointing out how full of ******** you are. Are the county services necessary? Sure they are. Are the taxes collected in a fair manner to cover those expense? Not by a long shot. That's all I've been saying all along, I just have a hard time not pointing out piles of **** so others might not step in it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Actually I never said that. You're the one in here spouting about how many direct benefits property owners receive and how dare we have the audacity to complain about paying our fair share. I'm simply pointing out how full of ******** you are. Are the county services necessary? Sure they are. Are the taxes collected in a fair manner to cover those expense? Not by a long shot. That's all I've been saying all along, I just have a hard time not pointing out piles of **** so others might not step in it.
    What does that make you since you don’t know much if anything about this topic as is clear from your posts. You just want to complain but those pesky facts keep getting in the way. I asked point blank if your kids should be responsible for paying the services you get at your property and you wouldn’t answer.

If the services to your property are shifted to income or sales tax those with the least will be hit hardest and I struggle with the idea that would be yet another shift of burden our generation is putting on the younger generations that are struggling from so many things our generation put on them.

Didn’t much of the funding for your career and pension came from property taxpayers?

This could have been an interesting discussion of what services should or shouldn’t be part of property tax. We all agree about the principle that ownership and that with a property tax one can not own property free and clear, but the property tax has been around in this country since colonist began setting here in the early 1600’s, the framers did not find it necessary to stop it, so a few if us are not going to change that fact now.

What can we do to make it better? Others spelling out unintended consequences of those ideas is a part of a healthy discussion. There will absolutely be winners and losers to any tax restructure, so most folks are looking out for how it will affect them personally.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We all agree about the principle that ownership and that with a property tax one can not own property free and clear
    Yet here we are, dozens of posts later arguing because you like to argue and you're more than willing to introduce whimsical "facts" and spin off accusations to keep the argument going.

I, on the other hand, have little else to do.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What makes a rental property? A lease. If there is no lease (verbal or written) then it becomes investment property for the owner, who may be trying to get a lease and thereby make it a rental property.
    Well then. Those landlords who wrote off their expenses on the home that sat vacant for a couple of months because of a bad market might be in a spot with the tax man.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No did you read my post? If it is not rented it is not a rental property, an empty property is a potential rental property otherwise all property is rental property without a definition.

I say a rental property is a property that is rented. How do you define a rental property?
    You really don’t know anything about this subject, do you?

A rental property is a property primarily used for renting out to tenants.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well then. Those landlords who wrote off their expenses on the home that sat vacant for a couple of months because of a bad market might be in a spot with the tax man.
    They don't matter remember? The tenants are the only people bringing any cash to the table in this so the landlord, you know the person who paid for the building(s) is irrelevant. :lmfao:

Top Bottom