• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kimbld89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Question: I know little about knives but am looking for a top notch dependable everyday carry. Basically what knife should I have with me if I get stranded in the woods for a week? Any suggestions on where to buy as well!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I prefer my Cold Steel Master Hunter, a K-Bar, or a Air Force survival knife.

Probably like the Cold Steel the best. No frills.

I have an inexpensive survival knife in my pack, but it's for backup use.

Best way to make firewood is to wedge a long stick between a forked tree and use leverage to break it, so no real need for a huge saw or anything.

All that said, I've been meaning to pick up another Camper model Swiss Army knife (Victorinex). I've had two of these, and they will do anything that needs doin'. Both of mine have disappeared over the years.

Josh <><

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Grayman Knives.

here is the caveat. most knives people carry on a DAILY basis are one the small edge of a survival knife scale.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    For everyday carry try a good quality folder. Benchmade or Spyderco are good choices. I have a Kershaw Blackout I carry most days, very happy with it. For a survival knife ,I have a Cold Steel SRK that rides behind the seat of my truck. If caught out in the woods for a week or more it would be my choice of knife to have.

Glocker B-58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Question: I know little about knives but am looking for a top notch dependable everyday carry. Basically what knife should I have with me if I get stranded in the woods for a week? Any suggestions on where to buy as well!

Maybe I should sell them, but I carry an Ontario RTAK. Made in New York, a thick blade through a micarta handle. Fits on my belt in my back pocket. Will get you into or out of anything but banks or prison. I have two, but the second is in a box somewhere. :twocents:

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    i just started getting really interested in blades, and from my own recent mistakes, I would go for a blade larger than 6" if its going to be your only survival blade. With that said, youll end up with multiple blades before you know it :)
    I went with a 4.25" TAK1, and while its a great blade, I can see it being too small to be my only knife if I was stuck out in the woods, but its also too big to be a EDC. It digs and cuts ok, but it wont be helpful in splitting wood. In other words, get more than 1 blade of varying sizes :)

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    Just got the Gerber LMF-II. Haven't got a chance to test the blade yet. The sheath appears very well made and includes multiple ways to attach it to your belt, MOLLE vest, and with a single or double leg strap (for carrying on your leg like a scuba knife). There's a sharpener built into the scabbard which is very handy. I like the utility of the pommel which can be employed to pry, hammer or break glass. I think it was also designed to break plexiglass for aircrews to escape.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Knives of Alaska has some great working knives. These are tested and used by guides in some of the roughest and toughest country in the world. I have a few of them and found they are well worth the money.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Air Force survival knife.
    Josh <><
    :+1:

I am a big fan of the USAF Ontario K.I.S.S.... U.S. Calvary.com

22214.jpg
    yhst-68270595698693_2047_42999089

yhst-61510710533867_2046_46120780

mfrobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    If your looking for something that has multiple purposes you might get away with a TOPS harpoon...However this would not suit your EDC requirement

Matt

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    A writer for Tactical Knives magazine stated:
    "The best survival knife will be the one you have on you when the **** hits the fan."

It's kinda like having the most tricked-out 1911 sitting in your safe and you have a J-Frame in your pocket when the Zombie attacks. At that moment, the J-Frame will be your survival tool.

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    id be harry with my kershaw military boot knife or my nex gen k-bar, orm my cold steel oda that one was inexpensive and top notch quality.

Top Bottom