• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Salvation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Hamilton Co
    So I'm looking into getting a 1911 in the near future. I have seen them go from $400 on up to $1200+. However my budget is around 600-650. So the question is can you come across a good 1911 in my budget range? I would prefer new and Im not opposed to buying a lower end and upping it as long as its still within my budget.

Kevin

Ps. Thanks for all the warm welcomes in the Intro thread!

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    For 650, you may want to look into the Springfield Armory line. Their GI model is within your price range and you will have a few bucks to spare for ammo or upgrades. You may also be able to find a used Kimber for that in the right places.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    A couple of weeks ago I pick up an STI Spartan 9mm for $600.00 shipped, other than a trigger job this model Its hard to beat at the price. An other option with same features is going to be the Springfield Range officer but I think is a bit more, I really like mine and there is a lot of positive feedback out there for the .45 and the 9mm models.

STI SPARTAN 9mm " BUY NOW gets FREE SHIPPING" : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Last edited:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    First time 1911 why not try an inexpensive one that has a very good reputation to see if you really like the platform. I suggest you go the RIA route from $429 or so for basic GI model and around $479 or so for a tactical. If you shoot the heck out of it and then want to move up you can always sell it as Rock Islands have a very good reputation.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Honestly, there are so many good ones out there now, it is like, pick one, any one, almost! ;)

I bought a Springfield GI Champion for a firearm to work on. Liked it but something else came along that I needed more! ;)

Then, I spent $650 and got an all stainless S&W 1911, just after they first came out, serial number was over 6200 where they had a firing pin problem, and that thing was awesome! Again, something else caught my eye and I traded it off.

After that, I got my Taurus PT1911, spent $450 new for it, has every bell and whistle on it that anyone could ask for at the time, they make a rail model now along with a shorter one and one with an alloy frame, and shoots like a house afire!

I used it in a local PPC competition for a while and it did well right out of the box. I know someone that shot one to pieces after about 300 rounds, every Monday night, for a few years. It is built on great tooling and everything that will go on a Colt or Springfield will go on it or in it.

I did look at an RIA that I could do some "stuff" to but just haven't gotten around to it yet. For a while they were like, $400 or less!

The Ruger is flying off of everyone's shelf and they are in your price range. Just try to get one! haha

p.s. Welcome to the forum!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    First time 1911 why not try an inexpensive one that has a very good reputation to see if you really like the platform. I suggest you go the RIA route from $429 or so for basic GI model and around $479 or so for a tactical. If you shoot the heck out of it and then want to move up you can always sell it as Rock Islands have a very good reputation.

I agree, for the money they are hard to beat. My brother has one and its very quality, we have put probably close to 700rds through it without a problem.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I know you said you prefer new, however right now there is a Springfield Loaded model in the classifieds for 650. Looks brand new. I would snap it up myself but I already got one earlier this year. Good luck

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It really depends on what you want in the pistol. If you are looking for a shooter, and dont really care about having it worked on by a smith, then the Rock Islands are pretty good, and the price is hard to beat.
    If you are thinking of picking up a shooter, but are interested in having it tightened up, and tuned by a gunsmith, the Springfield is probably a better platform to start with.

The biggest difference between the rugers, RIs, and Springers is the frame. RIs are cast, as are the Rugers (I believe), and the Springers are built on forged frames. Either will serve well as a shooter, but the forged frame will be easier to find a smith that can work in it.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel

Just got the RIA tactcal for $444, shipped! Very nice :yesway:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Suggestions for a 1911:

1. Remember, size isn't everything
    2. Don't be so finicky, try to function even if everything isn't perfectly maintained.
    3. Try to cycle hollow points as well as you cycle ball.
    4. Don't be so stuck up about the cocked and locked thing. Double action only is just as good in real world situations.
    5. While we're on the subject of being stuck up, try not to look down on your 9mm brothers so much. They're doing the same job you're doing.
    6. Don't ever change that grip - you're doing that part right.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    there was a SA

Loaded on the classifieds yesterday for $650 that looked like a good deal... I have one of those and its my favorite 1911 of my three....Rocks are good guns for the money !!

Salvation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Hamilton Co
    Loaded on the classifieds yesterday for $650 that looked like a good deal... I have one of those and its my favorite 1911 of my three....Rocks are good guns for the money !!

As much as I'd like to jump on one today my budget won't allow it. I'm waiting. On a second job to come thru. Firearms is only one of a couple expensive hobbies I have! Plus two daughters that I tend to spoil :D

Anyway thanks for all the input. I handled a couple of Rock Islands at the gun show and they felt pretty good in my hands. I wasn't real sure about them due to their price point but it looks like I may go that route. Plus my coworker said he's worked on them before and knows how to tweak them with some aftermarket parts.

Again thanks for the input!

Kevin

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    RIA

are absolutely great firearms, especially for the money.... I have a gov model in 9mm and have put 600 + rounds thru it without any problems with ball ammo.... HP's that's a different story....

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I third the Loaded Springfield 1911,I have 2 that I would compare up to any 1200.00 1911 & is all ready to go with all the bells & whistles that you would want to go on anyways.If I had he money now I would've added a third (one from the classifieds) but added a Beretta to the mix instead.If you have daughters(for the future) ,you will need a 1911 for intimidating any would be boyfriends that come a calling(not really but the thought is there)

Top Bottom