• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That's not being a badge snob. That's wise fiscal policy. There is a reason that many people will only buy those brands, and it ain't prestige. Badge snobs love unreliable, overly complicated German stuff or faux bougie Indian SUVs with British nameplates.

Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus is pretty much my list, other than my current Hyundai, which I love except for the dual-clutch transmission. Everything else on it is so good for the money that I'm considering an upgrade to a Genesis GV70. Same features and equipment, higher end materials and the excellent (so far) 2.5T engine with a regular torque converter 8 speed automatic.
    If you're worried about resale, then sure. These people drive them until they're dead and spend more on maintenance because of those brands. They have the same needs as all cars, and some specific problems to keep in mind at times.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If you're worried about resale, then sure. These people drive them until they're dead and spend more on maintenance because of those brands. They have the same needs as all cars, and some specific problems to keep in mind at times.
    All cars require maintenance. You likely won't spend as much on maintenance on a Honda or Toyota product over its life versus other brands, if you are keeping them for the same period. As far as resale...why do you think that is? Why are they worth more? There must be a reason.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    All cars require maintenance. You likely won't spend as much on maintenance on a Honda or Toyota product over its life versus other brands, if you are keeping them for the same period. As far as resale...why do you think that is? Why are they worth more? There must be a reason.
    Working over 10 years in an Acura dealer I will disagree on the cost of maintenance compared to others. They are still using timing belts on their V6 engines that require replacement every 100k alone and some of their required maintenance is more intensive. No one wants to admit to it thought.
    I call it the Honda tax. Hondas are just supposed to be better so people pay it. The reality is their quality over the last 20 years has really sank while their competitors have risen. Add in their built in lack of innovation and leading the industry with new tech and ideas and they are going to be hurting before long. The big 3 lived off their names for a long time and it ended up biting them in the ass.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've found Carcomplaints.com to be very helpful when researching potential used cars. They have detailed information by make and model year as well as best and worst lists. The Worst vehicles list is pretty interesting.
    OK... just looking through their "lists".... wow. WAY off on some of these. Dont get me wrong every JEep/dodge deserve to be on their worst list but an 09 Sorento on the best list? Nah man that thing was mediocre on a good day.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Working over 10 years in an Acura dealer I will disagree on the cost of maintenance compared to others. They are still using timing belts on their V6 engines that require replacement every 100k alone and some of their required maintenance is more intensive. No one wants to admit to it thought.
    I call it the Honda tax. Hondas are just supposed to be better so people pay it. The reality is their quality over the last 20 years has really sank while their competitors have risen. Add in their built in lack of innovation and leading the industry with new tech and ideas and they are going to be hurting before long. The big 3 lived off their names for a long time and it ended up biting them in the ass.
    Yeah, I'm firmly in the Toyota/Lexus fan camp, and so far good luck with our first Subaru, but I'm not overly fond of Honda. We've got a Pilot still that my daughter drives that has 208k on it, but I can't say I'd be in a rush to buy another one. Sample size of 1, but not I'm not in a rush to give them another chance.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yeah, I'm firmly in the Toyota/Lexus camp, and so far good luck with our first Subaru, but I'm not overly fond of Honda. We've got a Pilot still that my daughter drives that has 208k on it, but I can't say I'd be in a rush to buy another one. Sample size of 1, but not I'm not in a rush to give them another chance.
    You know 200k anymore isn't that many miles for almost any brand not a subaru ( :p ). But seriously, there should be no reason any car built in the last 10 years with any form of PM done shouldn't last 200k.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You know 200k anymore isn't that many miles for almost any brand not a subaru ( :p ). But seriously, there should be no reason any car built in the last 10 years with any form of PM done shouldn't last 200k.
    Agreed. I'm not in any way advocating really for Honda. This one is actually a 2010, purchased in 2009.

I'm not fond of that Honda Pilot due to all that's had to be done to it. We treated it well mechanically over the years (the same can't be said for what my wife and then daughter put the interior and even exterior through). Could have been worse, and it keeps on ticking (literally), but I'd generally choose a Yota over it any day of the week.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    All cars require maintenance. You likely won't spend as much on maintenance on a Honda or Toyota product over its life versus other brands, if you are keeping them for the same period. As far as resale...why do you think that is? Why are [do] they worth [cost] more? There must be a reason.
    It's like with Kimbers, some people are just stupid?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    OK... just looking through their "lists".... wow. WAY off on some of these. Dont get me wrong every JEep/dodge deserve to be on their worst list but an 09 Sorento on the best list? Nah man that thing was mediocre on a good day.
    I take the Best list with a huge grain of salt. I also figure most people that buy Kias don't expect all that much out of them or are likely to take the time to complain. It's also hard to imagine the '03 Focus is not among the 20 worst or even the worst Focus model year.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I take the Best list with a huge grain of salt. I also figure most people that buy Kias don't expect all that much out of them or are likely to take the time to complain. It's also hard to imagine the '03 Focus is not among the 20 worst or even the worst Focus model year.
    Hyundai and Kia are both going through an owner demographic change. I've been buying them for 22 years now. The only one to leave us stranded (technically the wife) was a $2000 Accent that ate the crank sensor around 180k miles. $17 and a trailer ride home and it was back on the road. Combined, all of them had well over 1 million miles with one engine failure (purchased with a snapped timing belt, owner neglect). I can't complain and we have several friends that now swear by them as well. I would pit the two '23's we have against anything from Toyota or Honda in their class.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hyundai and Kia are both going through an owner demographic change. I would pit the two '23's we have against anything from Toyota or Honda in their class.
    The owner demographic change is going to change real soon when those smash and drive insurance claims from the key recall come due on the next insurance bill. I see lots of them coming up for sale soon.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Hyundai and Kia are both going through an owner demographic change. I've been buying them for 22 years now. The only one to leave us stranded (technically the wife) was a $2000 Accent that ate the crank sensor around 180k miles. $17 and a trailer ride home and it was back on the road. Combined, all of them had well over 1 million miles with one engine failure (purchased with a snapped timing belt, owner neglect). I can't complain and we have several friends that now swear by them as well. I would pit the two '23's we have against anything from Toyota or Honda in their class.
    My wife has a Santa Fe 2017 been very happy with it, although it just hit 30k miles on it.

Top Bottom