• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    First couple times I took XDs out, it ran without any problems, other than racking slide, after putting mag in can be interesting, can't limp arm it, gotta drive it home.

Holster came in so after wearing holster + gun around, finding it very comfy, decided to make sure it runs with HST 230 gr. HPs.

Started off with Aquila 230 gr FMJ, no real problems, roughly 50 rounds. Loaded with HSTs and had a couple light strikes. Blew out striker chamber, continued having light strikes and failure to feeds. Also noticed light strikes were off center.

Loaded with Aquila again, no more light strikes, but trigger stopped resetting. Felt same as if you dry fire pistol, and try to pull trigger again (w/o racking slide). Was able to semi-rack (similar if you were practicing dry firing and trigger resets) slide and trigger would reset. This started off only 1 every couple mags, but kept getting worse. Opted to call it a day.

Called Springfield Customer Service, they indicated they are seeing lots of these issues with the XDs, but attribute it mostly to limp wristing the pistol. They also indicated pistol needs to be ran more wet than most. After speaking with gunsmith, I could summarize their recommended oiling as "Oil it like an AR". (Except the barrel of course, they indicated a drop of oil on each side of barrel, and operating slide a few times).

Anyhow, that's all complete (including taking down striker, cleaning out chamber and wiping off striker), will take it out again Monday and see how things go, if it still malfunctions, they indicated they'd take care of it, including shipping. PS: I've used their warranty service before, it was top notch.

Not worried, just sharing experience, will update after Monday's range session.

PS: When functioning correctly, I'm loving it, very accurate for such a small .45, and recoil is very manageable. Also enjoyed having my son with me (he goes to MEPS Sunday for one last confirmation (he's skinny, they want to make sure he doesn't have scoliosis), and will be assigned boot camp soon). He loved the PPQ and shot up some of my Wolf .223 in RRA AR.

Last edited:

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I took my new XDs to the range yesterday and ran 60 rounds though it with no problems. First 10 were WWB and the next 50 were Blazer.

I found that it was very easy to manage and that front sight is easy for my old eyes to pick up on. I thought that I would have more recoil and that the aggressive checkered grip would bother me but it did not.

I like this little 45 pistol and would recommend it to anyone wanting a subcompact 45 pistol.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I've heard this one before.

I didn't have the problem. I alway really clean every gun before I shoot it the first time. The firing pin channel was pretty "gunked" up when I cleaned it. The XD-s is on my carry list and shoots very well.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    No problems with mine...just running Blazer through it. BTW....I love that front sight. It's heaven for this tired olé' eye!

GlockWielder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    I have no experience with the XDs but I do have a lot with the full size XD line of pistols. The great thing about Springfield Armory is that they have good customer service. I think the XDs is a new platform and it may have some kinks and bugs to work out. I hope you get it back on track and working 100%

Mad Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    LaPorte County
    Just finished putting an other 100 rounds (50 WWB & 50 Federal) with no problems. Only have a total of 200 through it so far, but it's been 100% reliable! No issues of any kind. Cleaned it after the first 100 and will clean it again later this afternoon. I've had mine since June 24th.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Just got back from range, no issues thru first 100~125 rounds, then a light strike (2 total) & a few failed to return to battery. All issues I contribute to limp wristing on my part, last 75 or so I made sure not to limp it, & flawless. Loving this pistol, just got to rack it & grip it "more firmly" than usual. Ate Aquila, Blazer Brass, HST HPs, & Ranger HPs no miss feeds, etc...

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    So far 150 rounds of Tula 230grn fmj. No problems yet. Hopefully don't have the same issues, will keep it clean and an eye open. Thanks for the heads up!

SilverWuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    xds problem solved

Hey Guys the XDS is a great gun .... But the lite strikes are not a limp wrist or ammo problem.. its part #27 on the slide its your striker guide. The plastic cup on the opposite end of your striker... First 50 rounds and bout every 4-5 were litestrikes due to this guide being split near the spring n medal piece (shaped like an L at the back of the striker). Called SA ordered part #27 replaced it 100 rounds later no problems what so ever. Think this piece it too thin. Maybe someone will make a aluminum one. (fingers crossed) but now i can trust my xds. And will carry in a few hundred more rounds. X)

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Hey Guys the XDS is a great gun .... But the lite strikes are not a limp wrist or ammo problem.. its part #27 on the slide its your striker guide. The plastic cup on the opposite end of your striker... First 50 rounds and bout every 4-5 were litestrikes due to this guide being split near the spring n medal piece (shaped like an L at the back of the striker). Called SA ordered part #27 replaced it 100 rounds later no problems what so ever. Think this piece it too thin. Maybe someone will make a aluminum one. (fingers crossed) but now i can trust my xds. And will carry in a few hundred more rounds. X)

Great info. Will email springfield and see if I can get an "extra" part. Did they make you send the broken one back?

Here is the online manual if anyone wants it:

http://www.xdspistol.com/XDSManual.pdf

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I've shot hundreds of rounds through mine and I bought it used. The only time I've ever had any trouble was stove-piping and that was because the reloads I shot were very weak and didn't recycle the slide properly. Factory loads have never been a problem but I have only shot Winchester and PMC, maybe another brand--can't remember.

SilverWuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    part return

Great info. Will email springfield and see if I can get an "extra" part. Did they make you send the broken one back?

http://www.xdspistol.com/XDSManual.pdf[/QUOTE

About the broken one. Didnt need to send it in they just sent me the new one took bout 2 days. Mine was broken from the factory seems like the reason a lot of people are having this problem. If it is broken the striker spring will cant to one side and cause lite strikes or strikes to one side of the primer. It sure fixed mine up i knew it wasnt a bad gun just a bad part. And this many people couldnt be bad shooters. Seems like just a bad batch of striker guides fast production it can happen. But its the polimer gun it was ment to be now. Great design perfect ccw size and just enough fire power. The ccw gun ive been looking for... XP

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

http://www.xdspistol.com/XDSManual.pdf[/QUOTE

About the broken one. Didnt need to send it in they just sent me the new one took bout 2 days. Mine was broken from the factory seems like the reason a lot of people are having this problem. If it is broken the striker spring will cant to one side and cause lite strikes or strikes to one side of the primer. It sure fixed mine up i knew it wasnt a bad gun just a bad part. And this many people couldnt be bad shooters. Seems like just a bad batch of striker guides fast production it can happen. But its the polimer gun it was ment to be now. Great design perfect ccw size and just enough fire power. The ccw gun ive been looking for... XP

Sounds good. Mine is fine so far but I sent them an email asking for another one (to have on hand if something like this becomes a problem) and where I could purchase them if necessary.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Called Springfield Customer Service, they indicated they are seeing lots of these issues with the XDs, but attribute it mostly to limp wristing the pistol. They also indicated pistol needs to be ran more wet than most. After speaking with gunsmith, I could summarize their recommended oiling as "Oil it like an AR". (Except the barrel of course, they indicated a drop of oil on each side of barrel, and operating slide a few times).
    I call BS. On a striker fired gun how does limp-wristing cause a light strike? It can't be when the striker hits, there's no recoil at that point. My only guess is that the striker doesn't reset all the way - but it's an all or nothing thing, right? Either it resets or it doesn't?

Help me figure this out before my brain explodes!

Anyhow, that's all complete (including taking down striker, cleaning out chamber and wiping off striker), will take it out again Monday and see how things go, if it still malfunctions, they indicated they'd take care of it, including shipping. PS: I've used their warranty service before, it was top notch.
    Glad to see the stand by their product.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    I call BS. On a striker fired gun how does limp-wristing cause a light strike? It can't be when the striker hits, there's no recoil at that point. My only guess is that the striker doesn't reset all the way - but it's an all or nothing thing, right? Either it resets or it doesn't?

Help me figure this out before my brain explodes!

Apparently, limp wristing can cause a very slight "out of battery" condition where the striker will still drop, but not be centered on the primer, thus the light strike.

Springfield Armory XDs Pistol Update, by Pat Cascio - SurvivalBlog.com

I have no experience with this, just posting what I found after researching this little gun for a possible carry piece.

Top Bottom