• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Gotcha. Not to familiar with those roads but I know where the viaduct is. I did all my country cruisin' on the west side of the white river.

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Closest I know of confirmed wolves is northern Michigan for us. My uncle (lives in Pickford, MI) had the DNR come out last summer... somebody had shot a wolf on his land and left it because it had a tracking collar around it's neck! The DNR seems to watch for them. I shot a coyote couple of weeks ago that was as big as a german sheppard so I wouldn't be surprised either...

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    One thing to remember is that wolves, dogs, and coyotes can all interbreed and produce fertile offspring. Mixes are not uncommon so sometimes which category a particular animal or group of animals falls into can be more a matter of opinion than anything else.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    We didn't think there were any wolves in Indiana either, until this pair started showing up at our house. We started putting out food in hopes of getting a picture and Ta-Dah! I shot these with a 300mm zoom lens, didn't feel like pushing my luck.

We sent these pictures to a place in Idaho called Wolf People that we had visited before, here is their web site, some cool pictures there of what else, WOLVES!
    Wolf People: Wolf habitat, Wolf Education Facility, Wolf Gift Shop, Wolf Gifts, Wolf T Shirts, Wolves Jacket, Sponsor a Wolf

After seeing the pictures they emailed us back and said, "you have a pair of wolves" as mysterious as their showing up was, so was their disappearance, we got to enjoy their daily visits for about a week, and then they were gone.

The male is the darker one, the female was all white. We would watch them eat, from a distance, he would eat first while she watched his back and then he would watch while she finished eating what was left. Neither of them were ever overly aggressive toward my wife or I, but the male would show his teeth and just stare at you if he felt you were getting too close, which we didn't. Sitting out on the deck at night and listening to them howl, eerie doesn't really describe it very well!

We felt we were lucky to have seen these and may never see any in Indiana again?
    Do you believe in Indiana wolves, we do now!

scan0002eq4.jpg

scan0001pd5.jpg

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I know a man/woman who have at least 1 wolf and hybrids on their premises. Couple of hippy type folks, but with an edge. lol Seriously though, they could escape like any other dog and be running the streets, and I am pretty sure they mentioned it happening with 1 of the hybrids pretty often.

SWEET PICS PANAMA!! :rockwoot:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I just saw a coyote about 30 minutes ago on SR 38 and Hague Rd. It seems that there are more of them this year than before.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We didn't think there were any wolves in Indiana either, until this pair started showing up at our house. We started putting out food in hopes of getting a picture and Ta-Dah! I shot these with a 300mm zoom lens, didn't feel like pushing my luck.

We sent these pictures to a place in Idaho called Wolf People that we had visited before, here is their web site, some cool pictures there of what else, WOLVES!
    Wolf People: Wolf habitat, Wolf Education Facility, Wolf Gift Shop, Wolf Gifts, Wolf T Shirts, Wolves Jacket, Sponsor a Wolf

After seeing the pictures they emailed us back and said, "you have a pair of wolves" as mysterious as their showing up was, so was their disappearance, we got to enjoy their daily visits for about a week, and then they were gone.

The male is the darker one, the female was all white. We would watch them eat, from a distance, he would eat first while she watched his back and then he would watch while she finished eating what was left. Neither of them were ever overly aggressive toward my wife or I, but the male would show his teeth and just stare at you if he felt you were getting too close, which we didn't. Sitting out on the deck at night and listening to them howl, eerie doesn't really describe it very well!

We felt we were lucky to have seen these and may never see any in Indiana again?

scan0002eq4.jpg

scan0001pd5.jpg

Awesome pics!

I wonder where they came from?

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If I would have seen those wolves outside, I may have just thought they were large house dogs. At least until they started snarling at me...

Rooster Cogburn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    MSG2 - Indianapolis
    :rockwoot: Just like back in the early 80's when I contacted DNR about otters living in the White River south of 144. Until the DNR guy saw them, I was a lunatic teenager.

Hopefully you've sent these pictures to the DNR.

Awesome photos and around here, once in a lifetime opportunity.

scan0002eq4.jpg

scan0001pd5.jpg

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Thanks everybody for the nice comments!
    I was just the lucky person that had a camera.

We might have been convinced they could have been large dogs UNTIL they started howling at night.
    That was so cool to hear, but eerie at the same time.

I DID NOT send the pictures to the DNR or contact them either. I have never been impressed with the DNR's attitude when it comes to identifying or confirming an unusual wildlife siting.
    I saw a "HUGE" eagle near the river by Paragon years ago, which really isn't all that unusual, but it was freakin' HUGE, so I called the DNR and described it. It was flying with a fox carcass in it's talons! I know that is what it was because when it landed I walked out into the field and it flew off without it and there it was. The prints left in the snow of the eagle's feet were amazing!

The person I talked to blew me off like I was hallucinating and said, "most likely a bird that size would have to be a turkey vulture" so I called the Audubon Society in Bloomington and a guy went straight up there, saw it and called me back to tell me that was one of the largest eagle's he had ever seen.

So like others have said in Indiana, we have no, wolves, bobcats, otters, etc, etc :nuts:

SSilvers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    I was running my beagles about 3 yrs ago and something started chasing them, so I drew Herschel and was waiting when what I saw made me stop, it was a Red Wolf, very tall, stilts for legs and narrow between the eyes, he stopped when he saw me and turned and ran off. I know it was a wolf, I trained show dogs for a full blooded indian and she had a full blooded wolf in her backyard, it was a gift from her tribe, and it looked like the one I saw, except the one I confronted was very red. My knees were weak and the adrenaline was pumping. I was later told that there were several pairs released in So. Indiana a couple of years before this happened. Also, there was a tagged wolf found dead on the road in Randolph County around this time, so I do believe they migrate to or through here from time to time.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I believe they could of been wolves. DNR also told me there are no badgers in Indiana, but I have picked two up on the road dead in Hamilton county.
    I know where a whole mess of those live(well they lived there 5-6 years ago).Just north west of Parkside school in Columbus.I used to run cross country and my brother and I stumbled upon a couple dens.I do not think the area has been disturbed to much and would bet money they still live in that area.In 2003 my brother found a baby something in area 11 over at Atterbury...took it to the vet to have it id and they said it was a baby wolverine.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    I was coming home from work (about 4:30) about 2 month ago, was on 70th, just west of allisonville and saw a coyote cross the road. weird sight.

Seen plenty of weird things in the wood, don't see any reason a wolf couldn't be around. I've seen a lot lately that I never saw as a kid (coyote, fox, mink, turkey, eagle, ect)

Was camping in S. Indiana (private property) and there was something circling our camp late at night with the fire roaring. Reminded me a lot of when we had bears in the camp in minnesota. Not sure of what in indiana has that predator / curiosity instinct. Never did get close enough to catch a glimpse, but I did have the gun handy...

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    They looked just like Panama's wolves

>>>>Originally Posted by Panama
    We didn't think there were any wolves in Indiana either, until this pair started showing up at our house.<<<<<<

My wife and I studied Panama's photo very closely and the three we saw last week on Promise Road north of 126th looked very much like the ones in his photos relative to color and body. I will start keeping a camera in my car just in case...

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I saw a number of coyotes when I was out deer hunting this year.

They are much larger than I remember them being when I was a kid growing up around here.

I wondered if they are inter-breeding with larger breeds of feral dogs to get bigger?
    Or maybe times are just good for the 'yotes these days?

Top Bottom