• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've seen coyotes in the Westfield area since the 1980's, there must be a den just to the north of our property, I'll see 2-3 at a time. My Bullmastiffs have a fit almost every morning and evening at the north fence line trying to go after them.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    We had some "suspected" wolves down in this area last May. DNR was supposed to be testing them, but no one has ever heard anything back out of them.

14 WFIE, The Tri-State's News Leader: Wild dogs nearly kill a family pet

I just chased a coyote again this morning. I chased one 2 months ago and he stopped to rest in a ditch and I thought he probably would again, but he was long gone.
    We've shot 3 off the front porch in the last 4 years.

buckshot_00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sorry guys....I do not believe these are wolves in the pictures. Look at pictures of Malamutes and Samoya (or Samoyed). Wolves have a distinct chinese-style angle to their eyes when looking straight ahead. The wolf organizations out there are intentionally falsely identifying them as such to further the liberal environmentalist agenda to say that wolves are living peacfully in other parts of the country.

Most breeders try to get more money out of their ads by saying they are part wolf puppies too. Those ads are all over the place.

However, there are people who have them under license. I have a vet friend who treats two of them in central Indiana - and you would NEVER mistake them for a domesticated dog. There are a few wolves in Southern indiana which are the results of known cases of licensed wolves escaping and crossbreeding from some of these. These are usually the stray ones you read about that were killed or found. I wouldn't doubt there are some out there intentionally crossbreeding, but it is illegal without a specific FEDERAL license. This may change with the fact that wolves were recently de-listed, but now there are more court battles to re-list them as endangered so western states cannot open hunting seasons on them again.

(However, as bobcats are not federally protected, I can breed bobcats with just a state license.)

Coyotes are the real problem in Indiana. I too live in the near-northeast of Indianapolis - and there are MANY very LARGE coyotes around. I have a 95-lbs tri-color Shepherd and a 120-lbs white shepherd and the coyotes are approaching my dogs in size. I have one on a trail cam that looks larger, but with a shorter nose, likely due to crossbreeding. The overpopulation of rabbits in the area and all the new construction up the fall creek valley line is drawing them in and giving them a highly nutrient rich diet of rabbit and garbage. We had a coyote padding around the bus stop the other morning. With the extreme cold in the last month, they have been much more active during the day and in places they normally wouldn't be as they search for more food.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but just trying to keep it real. Go to the wolf park in Lafayette to see real wolves and you wil understand what I am saying.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I saw two coyotes in bloomington about 5 months ago, right at the Otis building. They crossed the road directly in front of me at about 9:30 to 10 at night. That is a little closer than I expected to see them that is for sure!

I also grew up in Greene County, between Worthington and Bloomfield on a couple hundred acres, then later more in the Bloomfield area. On the big "farm" (no farm, 95% woods) we were quite used to yotes, they wanted our chickens! We got rid of the chickens.... :D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    There are wolves in Indiana.

My ex-fiance found a puppy at the park and brought it home, when I lived with her. I identified it as a wolf cub. Folks said that was impossible, no wolves in Indiana.

Well, now he's full grown and most definitely a wolf. Very loyal and smart, and he remembers me when I stop by over there. He's all over me in fact - I trained him and I'm still "alpha."

I will say this much: wolves are tough to train. However, they can be taught a LOT. I would put their intelligence on par with a 10 year old kid.

Josh <><

G3Fanatic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Southeast Indianapolis
    The probability of a small population of wolves in Indiana is likely, but a wolf pack's territory can encompass square MILES. If I had to guess. I would say cross-breeding, between a malamute, or a husky took place, and what you have is a coyote-malamute or coyote-husky mix. There are tan colored huskies, and while slightly similar to the characteristics of a wolf, wolves do have very distinct noticeable features.

Top Bottom