• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To my thinking the idea of speeding/reckless driving in construction zones is a no win situation.

From the conservative "law and order" thinking hammer them hard! Change the law. You don't need cameras to enforce the fear of breaking the law, you need enforcement by LEOs of a law that is feared. For example, make the law simply say that for every one (1) MPH a driver is speeding in a construction zone they will face a fine of $500. So just going five (5) MPH over will result in a $2,500 fine. Also, for speeding in the zone your car will be immediately impounded and you will get it back once the fine is paid in full. Drivers would fear that and take appropriate speed reductions.

From the liberal "overthink" it side this won't work. Punitive damages are not the way to go, because they NEVER have been. Pickpockets operated in crowds watching people hanged for, yep, pickpocketing. People always think it won't be them. Enforcement won't work and will only cause unforeseen problems. Add on to this that getting too punitive will soon cross the line of Constitutional protections.

My argument against cameras is that they remove a LEO from the equation. While I will rail and b***h and scream and :soapbox: against jack booted thugs, I will also say that a LEO is also the most kind, compassionate, and merciful person in the entire criminal justice process. I should know, I was just given a warning a few weeks ago instead of a ticket that I WAS 100% guilty of, just not intentionally. A peace officer is far more likely to let something slide than a judge. But a picture? There is NO face to face interaction. Just show up and either pay the bureaucrat or face a judge that won't show mercy nearly as much as an officer of the law.

Yet something should be done to decrease those injuries or deaths that are truly avoidable. I just don't think there is any magick bullet to solve the problem. And so, it will continue.

Regards,

Doug

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    From the conservative "law and order" thinking hammer them hard! Change the law. You don't need cameras to enforce the fear of breaking the law, you need enforcement by LEOs of a law that is feared. For example, make the law simply say that for every one (1) MPH a driver is speeding in a construction zone they will face a fine of $500. So just going five (5) MPH over will result in a $2,500 fine. Also, for speeding in the zone your car will be immediately impounded and you will get it back once the fine is paid in full. Drivers would fear that and take appropriate speed reductions.
    Regards,

Doug
    Certified speed measuring devices are certified accurate +- 5mph. Most construction zones have no shoulder for an officer to sit to check speeds, just temp barrier wall to temp barrier wall. I think the racetrack driving you see on the interstate is a result from officer (Trooper) shortages statewide. I know that there are days that the Indy post (covers Boone, Hamilton, Hendricks, Marion, Hancock, Johnson, and Shelby Counties) may only have 3 Troopers working. Not much time for active enforcement.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Would this mean, typically speaking, that tickets aren't generally issued unless the driver is traveling 6mph or more over posted speed limit? Just curious.
    Yeah. It would be easy to fight a ticket in court for a speed that is 5 or less, over the speed limit. Unless you admit that you knew you were doing 58 in a 55mph. Anymore, anything less than 20mph over won't get most officers' attention.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah. It would be easy to fight a ticket in court for a speed that is 5 or less, over the speed limit. Unless you admit that you knew you were doing 58 in a 55mph. Anymore, anything less than 20mph over won't get most officers' attention.
    A couple years ago we were in a church meeting with the local CoP. Before the meeting got started a couple of us were lamenting the city recently lowering the speed limit on a certain road in Bedford. He made the comment that his guys don’t even usually look up unless the driver is going at least more than 10 MPH over the limit on that road. I mentioned to him that I’ve been leaving 5 MPH on the table then. Duly noted. ;)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A couple years ago we were in a church meeting with the local CoP. Before the meeting got started a couple of us were lamenting the city recently lowering the speed limit on a certain road in Bedford. He made the comment that his guys don’t even usually look up unless the driver is going at least more than 10 MPH over the limit on that road. I mentioned to him that I’ve been leaving 5 MPH on the table then. Duly noted. ;)
    When I travel, I put my cruise control on 13mph over the posted limit and I don't hit my brakes when I pass by a stationary patrol car. I've never seen them pay any attention to me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I travel, I put my cruise control on 13mph over the posted limit and I don't hit my brakes when I pass by a stationary patrol car. I've never seen them pay any attention to me.
    I think the thing with these cameras is that they could be programmed to trigger at whatever upper limit they want, right? There's no "camera discretion".

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Certified speed measuring devices are certified accurate +- 5mph. Most construction zones have no shoulder for an officer to sit to check speeds, just temp barrier wall to temp barrier wall. I think the racetrack driving you see on the interstate is a result from officer (Trooper) shortages statewide. I know that there are days that the Indy post (covers Boone, Hamilton, Hendricks, Marion, Hancock, Johnson, and Shelby Counties) may only have 3 Troopers working. Not much time for active enforcement.
    I honestly do not know a single trooper working in the Hendricks County area. There may be some, but I don't know of any and have not seen any in at least the past six years. And I used to know them all very well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    aren't they risking...

Indiana Code 9-18.1-4-4. Display of license plates; violation​

(b) A license plate shall be:

(1) securely fastened, in a horizontal and upright position that displays the registration expiration year in the upper right corner, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:

(A) to prevent the license plate from swinging;

(B) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate; and

(C) in a place and position that are clearly visible;

(2) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(3) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or other opaque objects.
    How will they enforce that?
    Since an officer can read the license plate with it on but a camera cannot. So it is legible with the human eye.

Edit:
    Not the one he posted about, but there are many that you can read if you are directly behind or in front if you are not over 5 feet above it.

Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Have you all noticed the expansion of license plate readers posted at many major intersections?

Look similar to this
    earthday_cloudrunner_genetec_solar_powered_physical_security.png

There were just a few of them at county borders and major roads, now they're everywhere...

Top Bottom